Sega Saturn / Rhea

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
He said on the blog that all units being shipped from now on will be solder free, so I'd imagine so.

He did? Where?

All I saw was this:
I have but a couple of these new PCBs right now, some more should be available soon.

Nothing that notes that all current units being shipped are the solder-free ones.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I did see somewhere that said units would be solder free. His site is whack, it seems like he posts stuff in 2 different spots.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
The one you're going to get in the mail isn't solderless or 3.1, Jeffpin. I just got mine in today (ordered last Wednesday). No big deal, really. Just a +5v and ground. so simple. Now figuring out how to actually use the thing... that's a different story. I'm thinking he means that every one assembled and shipped after the batch that has already been made will all be solderless.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
The one you're going to get in the mail isn't solderless or 3.1, Jeffpin. I just got mine in today (ordered last Wednesday). No big deal, really. Just a +5v and ground. so simple. Now figuring out how to actually use the thing... that's a different story. I'm thinking he means that every one assembled and shipped after the batch that has already been made will all be solderless.

I guess we'll see, but since his invoice says 3.1, I'd imagine that's what he'll get.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member

Yeah that's the impression I got as well.

And I agree his site is whack.
I hate how his OPERATION, ORDERING, TECHNICAL DETAILS and UPDATING FIRMWARE pages only covers the GDEMU and not the Rhea.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
In in talks with him right now. Trying to gather as much info on the Rhea as possible to make a single comprehensive PDF to post on his site (by a native english speaker). If he provides me what I asked for, it'll get posted here first.

And my invoice said 3.1 too. The board has v3 printed on it with the date 11/11/14

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Awesome! Thank you for taking the initiative! :buttrock:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
My Saturn-loving friend directed me to the Rhea. Holy shit it's 130 euros. That is um, a lot... I'm gonna wear out my modchip first and then consider a Rhea.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
That's my thought too. I like the idea but not how it was implemented.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Dammit. Well I know what my next purchase is gonna be. For those who have the GDEmu or Rhea, does it de-sync the audio at all? One of the reasons I don't use emulators for the more recent systems is that the audio is always off which makes rhythm games unplayable and games with a lot of CG play like shit. I assume it would be fine since you're playing on actual hardware but those first-gen CD systems were so persnickety.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
It doesn't emulate anything. There's no audio discrepancies. It basically just acts like the cd-rom.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Finally got my shipping notice! :buttrock:

I ended up acquiring a Saturn with a broken cd-rom drive for this install, can't wait to get it up and running. Now it's time to start gathering up some SD cards. ;)

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Finally got my shipping notice! :buttrock:

I ended up acquiring a Saturn with a broken cd-rom drive for this install, can't wait to get it up and running. Now it's time to start gathering up some SD cards. ;)

Got my shipping notice as well!

Looks like he has added rhea specific pages to the blog now. Also there is a new firmware released.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
fuck i really want to order one, but i don't have a saturn it can go into and he asks to know if you've got a VA0 or VA1+ system... grrrr

need to find me a early model saturn asap

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
fuck i really want to order one, but i don't have a saturn it can go into and he asks to know if you've got a VA0 or VA1+ system... grrrr

need to find me a early model saturn asap

The VA0 vs VA1+ question is just for the plastic legs that hold the rhea stable. Maybe you can ask him to send you both pair or just send you the longer one and you can cut them if they are too long for your model.

The new firmware is nice , it fixed a bug that i had with Elevator Action returns not starting the music unless i played the track in the cd player before.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
The VA0 vs VA1+ question is just for the plastic legs that hold the rhea stable. Maybe you can ask him to send you both pair or just send you the longer one and you can cut them if they are too long for your model.
That's what I did. He said he doesn't mind sending both pegs as they're fairly inexpensive.

Thanks for mentioning the firmware update. Looks like he released it while my Rhea is in-transit, so I'll probably have to flash it when it gets here.

How are you handling your games kahel? Do you have a few games copied onto small capacity SD's, or are you storing them one at a time?

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
How are you handling your games kahel? Do you have a few games copied onto small capacity SD's, or are you storing them one at a time?

I use a 8 GB SD card and keep about 10 games on it at the time. I keep all my games on my laptop HD , ready to be copied to the SD if i want to play different games. I have a small list on paper to know wich games are on the SD card and at what position to make selecting the games a little easier.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner

The new firmware is nice , it fixed a bug that i had with Elevator Action returns not starting the music unless i played the track in the cd player before.

thanks for the tip, going to email him right now :)

anyone seen any HST-3200's going cheap? :P

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Got the Rhea today.

16484880810_ba051c54f8_z.jpg

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Nice dude! That's cool that you got the new solderless version. Enjoy :D

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Glad he's getting out the solder less version now. Still content with my 3.0. Will update my guide this weekend for everyone.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Got mine in today, had only said 'v3' on the payment request but ended up being the new solderless 3.1 version like Jeffpin posted. Works great! Only additional feature that I'd like to see is bin/cue support, but that's not a big deal.