INFO: Neo Geo MVS and cart power requirements

miisalo

Astra Superstar
After having "expert" telling me that I need 6A 5V psu for my consolized MV-1B (NGFL has experts :keke:), I think we should publish facts about power requirements for different boards, mods and carts.

There has already been at least one thread where MV-1C was measured, but it would be useful to have all this information in one thread.

So if you do measurements, please report board, modifications and cart here as well as PSU and equipment used for measurement. For cart report only how much more current it required. Example if MV-1C board with stereo mod takes 220mA and with 161-in-1 total is 760mA, report multicart as +540mA. Most interesting facts are carts that consume most or least. Report the maximum draw you see example during playing.

PSU and Measurement equipment:
Labtek tk302 Laboratory PSU set to 5.1V and no current limiter. Shows also the drawn current.

MV-1C
stereo sound taken directly from the chip, RGB S and Audio connected to scart, bios chip removed, unibios 3.1 with neobiosmasta. Games tested with Neo Geo CD controller

230mA

161-in-1 multicart running a game (KOF 2001): +560mA
KOF 98: +310mA

Highest measured 790mA with 161-in-1

MV-1B
stereo sound using "JNX mod", +5V mod, RGB S and Audio connected to scart, unibios 3.1 with neobiosmasta. Games tested with Neo Geo CD controller

510mA

161-in-1 multicart running a game (KOF 2001): +510mA

Highest measured 1020mA with 161-in-1

MV-1FZ
+5V audio mod with 120-in-1 multicart 1300mA

Highest measured 1300mA with 120-in-1

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Excellent thread. I remember there being a thread for MV-4 power consumption.

The MV-1B numbers seem right, I figured a 1.5a fuse on mine was probably well over. The only PSUs I have are 5v 2.5a heh.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
MV-1FZ draws 1.3 amps with 120 in 1 cart in. Important to note because the manual says it needs a 7amp PSU lol. 2 amps is fine for the MV-1FZ.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
GadgetUK, is that with 5V only or do you have also 12V connected. I'll add that to the list once I know that.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Thank you for compiling this info. I got tired of hearing people randomly suggesting power supplies without the numbers. This saved me having to buy one, because I have lots of nice old 5v 2a laptop supplies that will be more than sufficient for my MV-1C + 161-in-1 setup.

Cheers guys :D

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I thought a 3a supply of the required voltage was pretty much the answer. Good to have exact measurements though.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
The pefect one-slot PSU?

Something like this seems like it would pretty much be perfect for all one-slots ($3.38 shipped). It's 5V 2A & 12V 2A, so it saves having to do any 5V mods. Fitting it in a supergun wouldn't be hard either.

0L182A.jpg

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Would anyone happen to have the measurements for an AES with an MVS converter and a multi-cart?
I would like to see the exact numbers for that.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Something like this seems like it would pretty much be perfect for all one-slots ($3.38 shipped). It's 5V 2A & 12V 2A, so it saves having to do any 5V mods. Fitting it in a supergun wouldn't be hard either.
Well, I've been using this type for a few weeks in my MV-2F and it seems to work perfectly. Here is a better link to find it on eBay if you need one.

You can then use a female molex on your MVS to plug it straight in. Here is how I did it. Does anyone know of a mountable female molex jack that can be attached to the case with screws?