JPN 3DS questions

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
For those who are using JPN 3DS outside of JPN, are the system menus configurable to english? Also, is the eShop all in Japanese?
I've been contemplating getting one to use the Virtual console as it has more shmup's on it. I'm just concerned about the language barrier.
While we're at it, how difficult is it to get JPN eShop credit from the US? Can you use the ones we buy from here (I'm guessing no because the currency is different)?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Paging Tw3ek, your assistance is required in the Handheld Systems forum. Paging Dr. Tw3ek.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
I'm pretty sure you can set the home menus to be in English, as for the eshop it'll be pretty much in all Japanese. With the Japanese eshop you can only use gift cards from Japan.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
The eShop menus will be in Japanese. There are various threads/youtubes postings you can google to help or when tw3ek pops in, he may be able to help with more specifics. The initial set up was a bit of a hassle for me, but once past there, it was a bit more manageable.

Also, for yens, go to play-asia or japan-codes. Just find the size u want and compare pricing. Cheapest one wins.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
For those who are using JPN 3DS outside of JPN, are the system menus configurable to english? Also, is the eShop all in Japanese?
I've been contemplating getting one to use the Virtual console as it has more shmup's on it. I'm just concerned about the language barrier.
While we're at it, how difficult is it to get JPN eShop credit from the US? Can you use the ones we buy from here (I'm guessing no because the currency is different)?

Paging Tw3ek, your assistance is required in the Handheld Systems forum. Paging Dr. Tw3ek.

All the menus in your system will be in Japanese. You can use a credit card to purchase eShop points, or as Phy points out above, you can purchase the codes online, as the points cards are locked by region. If you end up getting the system, I would be more than happy to walk you through the menus that you need, just shoot me a PM :)

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
As mention by Tw3ek, Try using your credit card first before going the pre-paid route. The reason is you will pay the exact price and not an inflated price from a 3rd party seller.

I've used my Canadian credit card with out issue for years now.