Neogeo AES RGB scart not syncing to Sony BVM correctly

IMG_5170.JPGHi, I get a shifted image when I use RGB scart on my AES. The Neogeo Aes is connected to my Sony BVM through a scart to BNC adapter. Composite video doesn't have the shifted image on my BVM.

Also I tested the AES RGB scart cable on my regular crt with a scart to component transcoder and the pictures fine.

I have a jrok video encoder installed on my AES. Component video also has the same shifted image.

Should my scart cable be wired a different way?

Any ideas?

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

You can try to add a resitor in the sync line on the SCART (pin 20), try with 1Kohm resistor.

Un saludo

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Desolder the composite video pin from the DIN end.
Tie again that wire to pin 7 on the DIN.

It will solve the sync issues, you will however lose the ability to use composite video ( who cares anyway? ).
You can also use a sync cleaner to resolve your sync problems. But it's gonna hassle you a bit more to do it.

amaradona

Kabuki Klasher
You can also try with raw or pure sync rgb cable.
If I remember well,BVM needs pure sync.

Desolder the composite video pin from the DIN end.
Tie again that wire to pin 7 on the DIN.

It will solve the sync issues, you will however lose the ability to use composite video ( who cares anyway? ).
You can also use a sync cleaner to resolve your sync problems. But it's gonna hassle you a bit more to do it.

I soldered Composite video to pin 7 on the din connecter and I still get the same picture. Also I tried my other scart to bnc adapter that has a sync stripper in it and the picture is the same :(

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It seems, unlike most PVM's, the BVM's are fussy bitches when it comes to the sync signal.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
AES serial? Reason I ask is early AES models have incorrect caps and resistors for RGB. If your monitor is picky, maybe this could be the cause.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
In an early AES you might need to swap out the 5 x 100uF caps for 5 x 470uF caps like I did. I did a video on it but mine wasn't displaying anywhere near as bad as yours. When I removed my old 100uF caps I measured them at less than 40uF each! So the caps also go bad!

Last edited:
I have 3-6 motherboard. I tried a 29ohm resistor on sync (scart pin 20) and got the same picture. Should I buy some 220ohm resistors and try them on the sync line?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I have 3-6 motherboard. I tried a 29ohm resistor on sync (scart pin 20) and got the same picture. Should I buy some 220ohm resistors and try them on the sync line?

My bad, that's for MVS. Try following GadgetUK's advice

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

220 ohms resistor value is not correct, usually for RGB lines is used 470 ohms and for sync is recommended 1 Kohms value, although these are the values for a MVS, you can use untill 3 Kohms in the sync line depending on the TV used.

Un saludo

Last edited:
Hi,
I just Tried uà
220 ohms resistor value is not correct, usually for RGB lines is used 470 ohms and for sync is recommended 1 Kohms value, although these are the values for a MVS, you can use untill 3 Kohms in the sync line depending on the TV used.

Un saludo
I just tried different resistors on scart pin 20 of the AES scart cord. 220 ohm did nothing,470 ohm did nothing, 1k ohm acted like the ext was turned off, 2.2k ohm same as 1k ohm. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I just tried different resistors on scart pin 20 of the AES scart cord. 220 ohm did nothing,470 ohm did nothing, 1k ohm acted like the ext was turned off, 2.2k ohm same as 1k ohm. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Have you checked the internal caps and resistors?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
You need to add a sync separator on the scart cable. A 3-6 AES doesn't output composite sync. Both pins 3 and 7 output composite video.

You need to add a sync separator on the scart cable. A 3-6 AES doesn't output composite sync. Both pins 3 and 7 output composite video.

I have have have two scart to bnc cables one with a sync stripper and one without one. I still get the same picture with both. :(

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Maybe it needs recapping! All 5 of the 100uF caps I removed on mine were measuring less than 40uF. On mine they gave a similar problem but it was a lot less noticable.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Are you setting the monitor to ext sync and setting up a new profile for it? I was under the impression that all BVM have the external controller, and I don't see it in your picture.

Maybe it needs recapping! All 5 of the 100uF caps I removed on mine were measuring less than 40uF. On mine they gave a similar problem but it was a lot less noticable.
It's not a cap problem, since it looks fine on my regular CRT tv.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Do you have access to a stock homecart system? Might be worth a shot trying that to see if it gives you the same image.