Need help identify 2 games

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
There was two shmup games I played at arcades and really enjoyed.

Last time I played these I was like 14 so I vaguely remember the games.

The first game I think it was a Raiden game but I am not sure. Is Raiden the only SHMUP series with giant homing lazers that wiggle ?

The other game was a bit older, I used to play it at a pizzeria on Jarry street.

What marked me about this shmup was the Bomb attack. It would make the airplane turn into a gundam/transformer and then it would like fly upwards towards the screen to make it seem like it flew higher and throw a energy bomb down. That shit was cool as fuck and I want to play that game again.

Thanks.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The first one was Raiden II or Raiden DX.

The second one, you'd need to give more details if you can. Like which pizzeria on Jarry street.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
FML. I was running through a bunch of SHMUPS on MAME the other day and played the second one. I can't remember the fuckin title for the life of me. I'll check N see.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
The second one, you'd need to give more details if you can. Like which pizzeria on Jarry street.

:lolz:

I think KidPanda would probably know. He helped me find an old childhood shmup I played. He seems to know a lot about shmup games.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
The first one was Raiden II or Raiden DX.

on Jarry close to St-Laurent. I was hoping a local member had been there before.

The game was all sprites no 3D elements. The airplane was blue and grey. Thats all I remember.

Ill check out those Raidens. Thanks.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I actually have looked. Haven't found it but I'm seeing a lot of neat shit I didn't know I had.

Edit: It would also help to know what year it was when OP was 14.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
You're thinking of STRIKES III.

Watch the Boss Battle @1:30.

Thank me later.

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
There is a couple ships with the homing lazer in raiden fighters 2 as well. Not sure about raiden fighters 1 or aces though I haven't played either in a bit.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Wow that looks fun (Strikes III). I gotta check that one out.

juanjuan

World Soccer '96
You're thinking of STRIKES III.

Watch the Boss Battle @1:30.

Thank me later.

Would help to know the ~year the OP is alluding to, but my knee jerk reaction to his description was Strikers 1945 III as well. The Strikers series is also one of the few shooters that had pretty wide distribution among US bowling alleys, mom and pop pizzerias, etc during the early 2000's.

All great games, including the wonderful Neo version.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I was 14 in 02-03.

The pizza joint wasn't very upscale, it was actually kinda grimey. The owner would sell day old pizza too, you could taste the nastiness of reheated pizza. But the place was pretty cool, they had a huge flat screen tv it was big like a fridge. They had Strikers 1999, San Francisco Rush and some Police Training shooting game. It was close to my high school so we'd go there during lunch breaks to eat our own lunches and play the shmup game, we got kicked out a few times for not being paying customers.

I played Raiden III at a gas station/restaurant highway stop between Montreal and Toronto. I only ever played it once, but damn was it awesome. This was in 06, so I wasn't 14 at the time. Shit costed a twonie to play.