Iron Clad cart , sound distortion

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Finished my ironclad cart and everything works great except I have some sound distortion/static on what seems to be only certain sound affects (music seems fine). I believe this would be related to the V chips. I had one bad pad on one of my V chips but when I follow the trace it doesnt seem to lead anywhere. I also didnt know if this could be jumper related, I used a CHA256 and Prog BK1 board from a beat up KOF 95 and havent changed any jumpers. Any help is appreciated.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKsfEWiq7fY

Bad Pad (trace goes to hole)

Last edited:

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Glad you got that weird programmer BS sorted out. First I would give the pcbs a wash. There is a lot of splattered solder every where that can cause problems. Any degreaser type cleaner (Dow Bathroom Cleaner, 409, Simple Green) and a toothbrush should work fine.

You'll need to change the jumpers too, KOF95 uses different sized chips V chips.

Last edited:

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Yeah I had looked at those and mine are definitely different, but I cant find a guide that has a listing of what each jumper does. From what I can see,

On BK1
Scan : JV7 , Mine : JV11
Scan: none, Mine: JV9

256:
Scan: None , Mine:R3, R4

According to the dev wiki, I need J9 and J10 on, which I do. But I cant find anything else about the other jumpers.
Largest C ROM Jumper set
1MiB J5+J6
2MiB J7+J8
4MiB J9+J10

Here are my boards

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
What I tend to do is look at the size of the VROMs used by the game, then go to MVS cart scans and Xian Xi website and find which games use that board with the V ROMs, look at the ROM image size for the V ROMs from an emulator set for a game that uses the same board and the same size ROM images and then look how the jumpers are set. It's takes a bit of messing around but it can be a good way of working how how the jumpers need to be set.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I went ahead and copied the jumpers from the other conversions I saw. Everything seems to be working now =) My guess is the JV7 to JV11 jumper is what was causing hte sound issues.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I went ahead and copied the jumpers from the other conversions I saw. Everything seems to be working now =) My guess is the JV7 to JV11 jumper is what was causing hte sound issues.

Great job!!! You should upload another video!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Next to the V roms you will notice that the there is a pair of jumpers for each V rom. The lower one is for when you are using 16mbit V rom, the upper one is for 32mbit V rom.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Next to the V roms you will notice that the there is a pair of jumpers for each V rom. The lower one is for when you are using 16mbit V rom, the upper one is for 32mbit V rom.

Yeah thats what I noticed when I was switching, it clicked when I saw the 3rd v rom chip area had neither jumper installed because there was no chip. I was like oohhh these are for teh V roms haha. Thanks for the help everyone, learn something new each time.