Missing graphics - The Super Spy

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Got another copy of The Super Spy MVS today, since the first one I had didn't work. This one loads OK but is missing graphics on the intro and the title logo is also a no-show. Cart looks in good shape, contacts are clean, etc. Just can't seem to catch a break with this game :(

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
After the intro/title screen are there any issues? If its just the title intro/title screen, my guess would be an issue with the S Rom, or maybe one of the flipflops on the CHA board.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
After the intro/title screen are there any issues? If its just the title intro/title screen, my guess would be an issue with the S Rom, or maybe one of the flipflops on the CHA board.

Didn't have a chance to do much testing as I had to go out. Will investigate further later on when I get back.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Pics would help the experts here determine what rom could be possibly bad just by seeing which graphics aren't loading. I'm not that familiar with the geo cart pcbs.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Did you try mixing the boards from both carts to try to get which ones are the ones that have the problems? that (and pictures) might help narrow the problem down.

Regards.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

I haven't noticed anything missing during gameplay, so it's not a huge deal. Seems like a lot of the early games have glitches like this, even with boards that look brand new. THE CART APOCALYPSE IS NIGH!! ;)

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Thats one of dem thur prototypez!

Nah but seriously thats fucked up. At first thought; I would imagine the title would be a 'sprite' in which case it would be stored in a C rom and there would lye your issue. But due to how the sprites are stored there is no way JUST the title would be missing and the entire thing at that. Usually it would be parts of the sprite missing and other sprites throughout the game would be fucked too.

So then maybe its part of the fix layer, in which case it would be stored in S rom. WIth it being in fix layer its explainable how the entire title could be missing, without other graphical glitches. BUT, the rest of the fix layer seems to be intact.....( "Push start button", Score, etc. ).

Have you tried to use your unibios to do a checksum on the cart? I bet it fails.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
From what I remember it's a glitch with the Unibios.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Thanks guys. Will try without Unibios next and report back.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I don't think anyone has ever reported an issue with the unibios and this game to me in the past. At least I can't remember it ever being reported. If it is it may be region related?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The music sounds that way because I only have one stereo channel connected as the monitor has mono audio.

When I tried the game in my cab (no Unibios) the title logo displays correctly. There is no intro in MVS mode on this game. I tried different regions and also AES and MVS modes on the Omega and none display the logo. Could be wrong about this but I think there is also supposed to be animated cut scenes in AES mode intro but they display as static images.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I can see the issue also. Its a result of poor programming, a routine to clear the screen ends up corrupting the sprite table due to IRQ triggering during the clear. I have a feeling this but may be dependant on the bios version. It does indeed affect the unibios but the bug may also be present with other official bios also. I'll see if it can be fixed.

Raz

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Glad to get this figured out :)

Cheers!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It will be fixed in next unibios release. Its strange that no one ever reported this issue to me.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think when it was brought up last time, it was never confirmed to be a Unibios problem so no one reported. Glad it will be fixed, I love The Super Spy.

cyd

New Challenger
Sorry for the necro. I just noticed the missing supper spy logo a few days ago, a quick search brought me here. Just wanted to ask Raz if the fix is in 3.2 or will be in a later rev?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Sorry for the necro. I just noticed the missing supper spy logo a few days ago, a quick search brought me here. Just wanted to ask Raz if the fix is in 3.2 or will be in a later rev?

Raz's post was made after 3.2 was released, so I think fix will be in 3.3 or whatever number Raz sees fit.

Regards.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
As aha2940 says, it will be added in 3.3

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Great to hear this will be fixed! I spotted the same thing on 60 in 1 cart and assumed it was a corrupt ROM.