MVS gamer eyeing AES hotness.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
There is no way I'd go back to AES. I would much rather play MVS games on a cab. It's cool to look at and when I had one, I loved owning and playing it, but at this point in life, no way I would go back. Because of the money and because I like cabs more than consoles. Could never afford one as a kid so there's no nostalgia there for me. Can't hate someone for going back to what they grew up on. I have a nes, but that's pennies compared to the AES commitment/adventure.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Nam '75 used to be like 15 bucks for the homecart, no lie, I mean brand fucking new, permanent maker spots all over them tatas and all.

Those aren't around anymore? It still cracks me up that the dope smoking distributor in Jeddah, KSA thought he would actually sell that many copies (hence the censorship - they have a whole army of dudes with sharpies in that country to prevent something or other).

Phades

New Challenger
I've decided to pursue an AES. There's just no way around it, it's needed. :) I was talking to my wife about it a bit last night and she told me I was an idiot for trading it for 3DO games and owed it to myself to fix that mistake (she's a keeper).

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
If you can afford it and if you're OK with how fast or slow you can add games to the collection I think you're doing the right thing. It sounds like you've already taken some time to think about what's your best option.
Have you had a look to see if get some of your fav AES games for an affordable price?

I've decided to pursue an AES. There's just no way around it, it's needed. :) I was talking to my wife about it a bit last night and she told me I was an idiot for trading it for 3DO games and owed it to myself to fix that mistake (she's a keeper).

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
Patience is key to collecting for the AES. That and not being an anal tard who takes a magnifying glass to cartridges looking for insertion marks. Lmao. How is that a thing? If one can't see any obvious imperfections when you pick it up, one shouldn't make a big deal over stuff like that.

If you have the willpower to only buy when the price is truly right, AES collecting is great. If you know you're the kind of guy who will feel compelled to keep buying at regular intervals after that first purchase, you should do yourself a solid and stay far away. Unless you're completely loaded and have nothing better spend your money on. If that's the case, do whatever.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
well if your hell bent on an AES make sure to get a MVS to AES converter so you have the best of both worlds, laying on an AES while still enjoying the affordability of MVS

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
He has the cab already, plus, for the cost of a decent converter just spend a few more bucks and get a nice CMVS from James or Quan.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
With MVS carts it's easy to tell a bootleg from the real thing. If you can't do that with homecart, prepare to be taken for a ride.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
With MVS carts it's easy to tell a bootleg from the real thing. If you can't do that with homecart, prepare to be taken for a ride.
Bootlegs are the only real problem with collecting AES games (the more expensive ones). It's not the price of the rarer (or more popular) games that's the problem, it's the fact that you might not know what you're getting.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah I'll admit, I hang unto shit forever, I wanna start letting go and sell but it's easier said than done.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Hint:
Spoiler:
I was not serious.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I know, I have been thinking of selling for a while though, it's one of those things.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
If you're still into the games never let go!! ...if you don't really need the money.
I mean, don't double up like the guy with all of those NGX systems. That's crazy.

I've sold some things recently when I felt I was losing focus and collecting too many games/systems.
Got rid of the AES and NGX to be able to get more MVS games and have no doubles. Pretty much stopped getting NES and SNES and I'm back to Sega Master System and Genesis. For NES and SNES I'll stick with just the 'must haves' carts. Got rid of my N64 stuff and xbox original.
It's hard letting go but I feel better with a stronger focus. So I think I know exactly where you're coming from.

Yeah I'll admit, I hang unto shit forever, I wanna start letting go and sell but it's easier said than done.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
If you're still into the games never let go!! ...if you don't really need the money.
I mean, don't double up like the guy with all of those NGX systems. That's crazy.

I've sold some things recently when I felt I was losing focus and collecting too many games/systems.
Got rid of the AES and NGX to be able to get more MVS games and have no doubles. Pretty much stopped getting NES and SNES and I'm back to Sega Master System and Genesis. For NES and SNES I'll stick with just the 'must haves' carts. Got rid of my N64 stuff and xbox original.
It's hard letting go but I feel better with a stronger focus. So I think I know exactly where you're coming from.

I also understand where you guys are coming from. getting rid of stuff is pretty hard at first. I say that since I gotten rid of about half my collection this past year. got rid of about 700-800 games and got rid of my atari, intellivision, 3do, sega cd, 32x, and game gear collection. its a lot easier to focus on the system I have now than to worry about buying games for all these systems. if I were to have to sell my collection, it would be a touch decision whether I should make the aes first or last to go. first because it would bring the most money or last since its one of my most enjoyed and played system in my collection

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I started to pick up cheaper, complete home carts last year. While I have it plugged into my Amiga monitor, I find myself always going back to my CMVS or my cab. My CMVS has S-video/composite as opposed to my home system with component/S-video/composite + custom bios.

I would still rather get rid of my last gen gear before I let go of my home system. Maybe it's just me, but the KOFs seem to play better on both AES/MVS while ports feel off. I despise playing Metal Slug Anthology on the Wii (but the PSP works well).

It comes down to personal preference. The hoarding of the NGX systems is just that...hoarding. Keeping a library of choice games around wouldn't hurt.

Bootlegs are the only real problem with collecting AES games (the more expensive ones). It's not the price of the rarer (or more popular) games that's the problem, it's the fact that you might not know what you're getting.

090914_Signals_promo.png

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I can understand the allure of the home system. Despite being deeply entrenched in buying arcade gear I have recently picked up a home system. It doesn't have to be expensive though, I'm picking up mainly gamer condition or even loose carts for not a lot more than the MVS price.

ROBO2011

Crazed MVS Addict
Love the aes. I have 58 homecarts and 40 MVS carts. Some expensive ones i bought in the past. Nowadays i buy the more expensive ones (metal slugs, blazing star) on MVS.I sold most of my collection. I only have neo geo, megadrive and master system.

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I got into neo collecting because of the arcades back then, I own a cabinet but also a consolised mvs. I must say I enjoy playing on the cabinet much more then on the cmvs, I don't like the joystick that much.

I can understand when you say you used to own one and you want it back, a AES console looks awesome.

Last edited:

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Neo Geo, Mega Drive (Genesis) and Master System are also my top systems to collect for.
Excellent taste ROBO2011! :glee:

When I see the really nice CMVS system on the forums I do get temped. Big Red rocks but it might be nice to sit on the couch and play sometimes.

Love the aes. I have 58 homecarts and 40 MVS carts. Some expensive ones i bought in the past. Nowadays i buy the more expensive ones (metal slugs, blazing star) on MVS.I sold most of my collection. I only have neo geo, megadrive and master system.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
I absolutely love the mvs cab. Im a collector of all things but have been going through some potential selling struggles lately feeling like i should move some things. Im so into mvs right now but have a collection of 12 aes games and system. I took photos thinking i might sell the games but after opening all the boxes and pulling out each manual with plastic bag and clean black carts i just LOVE the aesthics of it. I decided to hold on to it all for now and collect loose mvs and inserts to buy the bb shox and US inserts. Seems like an affordable yet still aesthetically pleasing set up.