MVS gamer eyeing AES hotness.

Phades

New Challenger
My hypocracy meter is starting to go off.... I've advised so many people to stay away from AES but am feeling the extreme urge to pick up one myself. I know the games can be ridiculously priced, but having owned one as a kid, my nostalgia is starting to get the better of me.

I currently have a big red 4-slot and a handful of MVS games. I know I shouldn't do this. Consider this a cry for help.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I could tell you not to do it, but nostalgia is a powerful thing and I totally get that. Maybe buy an Omega for that AES look?

Phades

New Challenger
I could tell you not to do it, but nostalgia is a powerful thing and I totally get that. Maybe buy an Omega for that AES look?

Yeah, I think a CMVS is the way to go too. There is just something about those AES games though.. I only owned 2 games and have always regretted trading it (for a stack of 3DO games.... Ugh what an idiot). I loved it but couldn't afford to buy more games at the time.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I'd say check the Omega and shockboxes option first if you want something similar to a home system collection without having to spend all your cash for it. The system itself kinda looks like the AES and you won't see a difference once you have an AES stick in hand.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with owning a home system with a couple of games if you know what you're getting into.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
You could just get an AES and pick up a couple of gamer condition commons...

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Where AES has a release I try to go for it, but there are some that will likely never happen due to price. For those that won't - I go MVS. I've had to change my habits; i'd pick up 4-5 games a month, now I pick up 4-5 every few months. I moved a lot of my collection when I went decided to go AES but I have no regrets - i'd much rather have 35 games that get played than 200 CIB N64 games that sit on a shelf because only 10% of them are enjoyable.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
view the 8man collection

then decide

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I love my AES stuff too, such a guilty pleasure. The one nice advantage to AES is the high prices restrict the amount of games you're likely to own, making you invest more time into the ones you do have, therefore enjoying them more. Also, it gives you a chance to explore the early years of the Neo, something a bit harder to do on MVS.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I could tell you not to do it, but nostalgia is a powerful thing and I totally get that.

^^ That right there is exactly why I went the AES route, despite being told to do the exact opposite. Absolutely no regrets! Also..

Where AES has a release I try to go for it, but there are some that will likely never happen due to price. For those that won't - I go MVS. I've had to change my habits; i'd pick up 4-5 games a month, now I pick up 4-5 every few months. I moved a lot of my collection when I went decided to go AES but I have no regrets - i'd much rather have 35 games that get played than 200 CIB N64 games that sit on a shelf because only 10% of them are enjoyable.

^^ True facts. My AES collection is meager, but meaty. All my carts get played, so the system is very satifsfying.

Phades

New Challenger
I love my AES stuff too, such a guilty pleasure. The one nice advantage to AES is the high prices restrict the amount of games you're likely to own, making you invest more time into the ones you do have, therefore enjoying them more. Also, it gives you a chance to explore the early years of the Neo, something a bit harder to do on MVS.

Way to look on the bright side! I actually really like this perspective, it fits my collecting style. I like knowing I want to play a game when I pursue it rather than just having another shelf ornament. I do have some games I don't play, but most of them I found uniquely interesting for one reason or another. I rarely grab a game "just because".

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
Isn't it also easier to get certain games on AES these days, like Magician Lord?
Jibbajaba , the nostalgia thing, you put it perfectly.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
you could also just pick up the cheaper AES carts that are still out there first, a lot of very good games to be had (like SamSho 2).
Maybe that will already satisfy your nostalgia...

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I guess it would have to be a nostalgia move like mentioned a couple of times - because the only real difference I'd see is "How often will I look at that game manual"
Question is: if you already own a MVS why would you go the gamers condition route for AES?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
There are plenty of AES games that are still affordable, so I'd say go for it, I doubt you'd regret it. You'll still have the MVS for the games that are out of reach or weren't released on AES, and you can just slowly pick up AES games and build a nice little collection. That's what I do.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
A lot of top10 ( in general gamers opinion ) are very affordable.

Fatal Fury Special
Samurai Shodown
Samurai Shodown II
KOF98

They're all fighters mentioned above, but it's hard to say they aren't in most NG fans top 10.
And they range ( Jap versions ) from $20-$130(<--- KOF98)

Then you have a lot of cheapies to get under the $50 mark.
I'd only get those if you really like them.
The problem is, if you don't like jap versions, then forget about it.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
My hypocracy meter is starting to go off.... I've advised so many people to stay away from AES but am feeling the extreme urge to pick up one myself. I know the games can be ridiculously priced, but having owned one as a kid, my nostalgia is starting to get the better of me.

I currently have a big red 4-slot and a handful of MVS games. I know I shouldn't do this. Consider this a cry for help.
You could get an AES, and then get an MVS converter, like the Phantom-1 or Daedalus. You could have a few AES games, and the rest in MVS form.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
You could get an AES, and then get an MVS converter, like the Phantom-1 or Daedalus. You could have a few AES games, and the rest in MVS form.

I'm guessing he wouldn't want to replace his big red, just have the AES on the side.

Ash Burton

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Whenever I see a real nice AES collection I just think man that could be one nice pinball machine...

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I use to have an AES and about 18 complete games. I scooped up many of the more affordable games. I did have some good games but I couldn't afford the games I really wanted like Metal Slug, Last Resort, Mutation Nation to name a few so I sold everything AES and changed the focus to MVS.
I didn't have my AES very long (maybe 1 year) and during that time I didn't know if I'd ever find a Big Red. Once I did find one I was sure I had to sell the AES. Even though I miss it and I do like to collect as much as play I couldn't justify the extra money that the AES costs over MVS.
But if I had the money I would have loved to keep both. It's a tough call.

Last edited:

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Everytime this question comes up I say do both. That way you have the option to get the most affordable version of each game. It's worked great for me.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If it is within your financial means and it makes you happy, then go for it. Id encourage you stick with your MVS as well so that you can play the more in demand games.

I'd also consider a unibios for your big red in case you want to play AES versions of games.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Whenever I see a real nice AES collection I just think man that could be one nice pinball machine...

doesn't the system cost like 200$... how many mvs games cost that much more than aes versions?
isn't there a game out there you still want that you could get that gos in what you already have?
or if you're ''loaded'' go for it!