MegaMan10 is overrated

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Explain the difference between Mega Man and Contra. Like use your words, don't just spit out buzzwords. How is the gameplay experience of Contra different than Mega Man?

It's different. Pacing, proximity.

Run & gun is just a made up US term that means Contra clone.

Mega Man isn't a run and gun.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I guess I just don't spend that much time pidgeon-holing games into subcategories. To me those are all "action" games. And I'm not saying that one is a clone of the other, but the Mega Man series and the Contra series provide similar gameplay experiences to me. I get that there are differences between them, but at some point we're just splitting hairs.

This Xero guy sounds like he's about 25, has been playing old games for about 3 years (just long enough to think he's a seasoned retrogamer), and sounds like most of his historical gaming knowledge has come from reading wikipedia articles. Seriously, who lived through the 16-bit generation and calls it the "Fourth Generation"? That's Wikipese.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The denial is strong in this one.

Just face it; 4th generation games like Demon's Crest, Mega Turrican, Super Turrican 1/2, Revenge of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Shinobi III, Ghouls n Ghosts, Pulseman, Castelvania Bloodlines, and countless others just stomp all over even the best of what the NES has to offer.
It's like comparing SFII vs SSFIIT, damn, I mean fuck, why are you so bent on this? It doesn't make any sense that someone that claims the Ninja Gaiden series to be relatively easy (which means at the very least that your skill must be above average) couldn't understand what he was playing, I mean fuck...mediocre?...I just don't see it. I call it just looking for a troll ride, it just doesn't make any sense, I mean I like all the games you have listed and yet you trash over the first Castlevania? That's crazy! Not heresy woo fanboy BS, let's cut it clear, give me a game in the timeline of Castlevania that is actually better, there isn't one, it was Mario with a whip, at least that's what it felt to me at the time 'cause I played it as a child when it was a new thing. I'm not validating nostalgia here, I'm just saying that for someone that claims all this shit about himself, I certainly find it hard to believe that you can be so ignorant, really, no BS, no flaming, I'm not sure what you're out here top prove other than you're fucked up or straight up lying about your gaming prowess. I think you must be lying, no one is that fucking dumb, not even joe8.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
News flash. The entire Mega Man franchise is overrated. It is composed of mostly average games that get praised almost entirely on nostalgia. We get it. The NES library, while full of platformers, was kind of lacking in the action platformer subgenre aside from Mega Man. It's ok for what it is, but there have been better action platformers made since then.

Yes, because it has such great titles as Mega Man. And more Mega Man. And...even more Mega Man.

Do you even know what an action platformer is? Having enemies does not make a platformer an action platformer.

Mega Man is an action platformer. Super Mario Bros. is not. Why don't you use your tiny little brain and figure out the difference between the two?

Your opinion on anything is officially null and void until the end of time in my book.
megaman-spikes-ahead-sign.jpg

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
I guess I just don't spend that much time pidgeon-holing games into subcategories.

Not my fault you can't tell apples and oranges apart. There are games that kind of blur genres, but Mega Man is clearly not a Run & Gun, and Contra is clearly not an action platformer.

This Xero guy sounds like he's about 25, has been playing old games for about 3 years

I am in fact 25, though that's not hard to figure out as I display my age on many forums. I've been playing "retro consoles" since I was 3 years old. You sound like you're in your early 30s and think anyone who isn't automatically is hipster trash. Seriously, it seems every time you post you're trying to call people out on not being old enough or not playing old games for as long. You reek of desperation.

sounds like most of his historical gaming knowledge has come from reading wikipedia articles.

No, my opinions of games primarily stem from my time spent playing with them. Only occasionally will I form opinions on gameplay footage. If there is any doubt, I play the game. Text alone is never sufficient to completely judge a game. It's only supplemental.

who lived through the 16-bit generation and calls it the "Fourth Generation"? That's Wikipese.

I used to refer to the fourth generation as the 16-bit era years ago. Then I realized it's a stupid moniker. The Turbo-Grafx isn't 16-bit, and not much about the other consoles of the generation is 16 bit aside from the processors. The colour palettes sure as shit aren't. The numerical generation naming scheme just makes more sense. I don't care if you like it or not. We're just arguing semantics at this point.

ElectricGrave, my point is that the third generation is a sea of crap and mediocrity with the occasional gem, while the fourth generation provides quality much more consistently and with a much greater peak. Any game even remotely playable gets high praise simply because it's on the NES. It's ridiculous. Take off the nostalgia glasses and get objectively critical, people. There are games on the NES I like. There are games on Sega Saturn I like. I wouldn't say that is a fantastic console either, objectively speaking.

I said right at the start that compared to the competition at the time, the NES dominated. Well, that's what often happens when you don't get any real competition. A lot of NES games feel lazy, uninspired, and little more than a quick cash grab. They may have been better than what was available on Atari, but that's not saying much. There are games like this on every platform, but there are way too many on the NES for it to receive the universal acclaim it does. It's one of Nintendo's lesser consoles. It can't hold a candle compared to the SNES and it's extremely impressive library.

Anyway, y'all got me to spend more time on this topic tonight than I intended. I'ma go do stuff now.

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
its*

Seriously, I would like to be able to edit my posts for minor typos and shit. =/

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Any game even remotely playable gets high praise simply because it's on the NES. It's ridiculous. Take off the nostalgia glasses and get objectively critical, people. There are games on the NES I like.

Hey you wannabe. I am ultimate in being objectvely critical.

I've been to places you can't even dream of. None rooted in nostalgia.

Do not lecture in my presence.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I am in fact 25, though that's not hard to figure out as I display my age on many forums.

Sorry, I didn't stalk you across multiple forums. My appraisal of your age was based solely on your attitude and level of maturity.

You sound like you're in your early 30s and think anyone who isn't automatically is hipster trash. Seriously, it seems every time you post you're trying to call people out on not being old enough or not playing old games for as long. You reek of desperation.

I am in my late 30's, and you absolutely sound like hipster trash. And I correctly guessed your age, I didn't call you out on not being old enough. Your opinions make it obvious that you didn't live through that era. "Apples and oranges" is trying to compare 8 to 16-bit games in the first place. Of course, having lived through all of it, that's clear to me, while to you it's a gigantic fog of things that happened before your time.

No, my opinions of games primarily stem from my time spent playing with them. Only occasionally will I form opinions on gameplay footage. If there is any doubt, I play the game. Text alone is never sufficient to completely judge a game. It's only supplemental.

I'm not talking about your opinions, I'm talking about your knowledge. That's not the same thing. You may have formed your opinions by playing games, but your knowledge stems from after-the-fact accounts because you didn't live through it. The only one who reeks of desperation is you, as you wade into a forum populated primarily by people my age and stomp your feet demanding to be taken seriously and then hurl condescending insults when you are not.

I used to refer to the fourth generation as the 16-bit era years ago. Then I realized it's a stupid moniker. The Turbo-Grafx isn't 16-bit, and not much about the other consoles of the generation is 16 bit aside from the processors. The colour palettes sure as shit aren't. The numerical generation naming scheme just makes more sense. I don't care if you like it or not. We're just arguing semantics at this point.

Whether or not it's stupid, it gave away your age.

ElectricGrave, my point is that the third generation is a sea of crap and mediocrity with the occasional gem, while the fourth generation provides quality much more consistently and with a much greater peak. Any game even remotely playable gets high praise simply because it's on the NES. It's ridiculous. Take off the nostalgia glasses and get objectively critical, people. There are games on the NES I like. There are games on Sega Saturn I like. I wouldn't say that is a fantastic console either, objectively speaking.

Spoken like someone who didn't get a chance to appreciate any of those titles in their own time. You sound like every poster on /r/retrogaming.

I said right at the start that compared to the competition at the time, the NES dominated.

You only know this because you read it somewhere. Since it happened before you were born.

Anyway, y'all got me to spend more time on this topic tonight than I intended. I'ma go do stuff now.

That's what you said after your last post. You'll be back.

Maybe I'll go sign up for a classic rock forum and tell a bunch of people in their late 40's and 50's what I think about their music, that was created before I was born. :thevt:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
whoa 25 already, all grown up and shit. shouldn't you be posting on /v/ right now ?

what a fag.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
this guy sure does watch a lot of youtube game reviews. do you transcribe them youself? or do you use the captions feature?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Having grown up with the NES Mega Man games, I thought Mega Man 9 would be a fun to try... but I was completely unprepared for how tedious that game was to play. I remember getting through most of Splash Woman's stage and just hitting a brick wall by how frustrating it got with those bubbles and spiked balls. I gave up and never went back to it. Didn't even bother with 10.

Last edited:

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Having grown up with the NES Mega Man games, I thought Mega Man 9 would be a fun to try... but I was completely unprepared for how tedious that game was to play. I remember getting through most of Splash Woman's stage and just hitting a brick wall by how frustrating it got with those bubbles and spiked balls. I gave up and never went back to it. Didn't even bother with 10.

Mega Man 9 was a pretty tough game. It wasn't tedious, you just lacked the dedication to try and get through it.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
This will be my last post in this topic for today, but I'll pretend to be blissfully unaware of the fact that a run & gun like Contra is not the same thing as an action platformer like Ninja Gaiden. The fourth generation still shits all over anything the the third has. Probably even harder than action platformers. Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps, and Contra III, and let's not forget the Neo Geo's very own Metal Slugs, are completely untouchable by any garbage the third generation ever had to offer.

You have been naming a generation of games (games on multiple systems) and comparing them to a single system that has more technical limitations. However, those technical limitations may be what draws people to the NES/Famicom (action)platformers. It's not the nostalgia of an 8-bit look, but it's related in a way. I thought about it a little, and the generally small size of the characters in relation to the level and screen works really well for action platformers in a way people may prefer. The characters have a good quick glide across the screen while still being able to see everything and physics typically feel light. The length of the game also tends to jive with the generation it falls in with each subsequent generation taking a little more time to complete. Just go one generation later and the characters are larger, move slower, and the games take slightly longer. Those games may be the same genre but they are different - which is awesome. Mario, in terms of this feel, may be better suited in a conversation with Mega Man than comparing Mega Man and Actraiser 2. It's reasonable to believe people would have a preference of one style over the other. Yes, I suspect as time went on developers learned how to hone the genres to make technically better games. However, most games from any generation still suck.

Shout out to Kickmaster on the NES. Awesome art.

My favorite 4th gen action platformer is Ninja Spirit on the TG-16, which came out a few years before my favorite NES games. Not so surprising considering preferences, right? We live in the future. I'm not even sure it makes sense to lump 1991 NES games with 1986 NES games, but some who didn't grow up during that time might not differentiate. The Famicom had a solid 10 year life span in a time when a little difference had a big impact.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Mega Man 9 was incredible and it along with Bionic Commando Rearmed kindled this whole retro renaissance we've seen since, so mind your tongue.

Calling the 16-Bit era of video games the "fourth generation" is as Jibbajaba said stupid wiki speak for people who don't know better. I bet this guy calls the SNES the Snes, and the Genesis the Mega Drive despite being from North America because it is now the "preferred nomenclature."

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
The only time I call the Genesis the "Mega Drive" is when I'm talking to someone from Europe, because it saves me from having to explain what a Genesis is.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
That's totally understandable, it avoids having to have a stupid repeat conversation.

But to go off topic a bit, am I the only one whose skin crawls a little bit when someone refers to the Super Nintendo as the "Snes?"

Growing up I'm the Northeast we always called it SNES same way nobody refers to an AES as an Ace

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
That's totally understandable, it avoids having to have a stupid repeat conversation.

But to go off topic a bit, am I the only one whose skin crawls a little bit when someone refers to the Super Nintendo as the "Snes?"

Growing up I'm the Northeast we always called it SNES same way nobody refers to an AES as an Ace

Totally understandable, from the Northwest myself, and it makes me cringe as well. I always called it a S.N.E.S., or just a Super Nintendo.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
When I was a kid we never said "Ness" or "Sness". When the NES was out, it was Nintendo's only home console, so we would just say that we were going to go "play Nintendo" because there was no ambiguity in that statement. When the SNES came out, we just called it the Super Nintendo. I'd never heard anyone call it a "sness" or an "ess-ness" back then.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Maybe it's a Europe or Canada thing. Every time I hear it I can't take anything the person says about video games seriously.

Certainly never called it Ness.. yuck!

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Maybe it's a Europe or Canada thing. Every time I hear it I can't take anything the person says about video games seriously.

Agreed. It's something that a douche like XeroShinobi would say. You know, because he wasn't alive back then to hear how people pronounced it in its day.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I have enjoyed this thread so far. Please keep up the good work.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Lame.

Megaman 9 will level up your platforming skills, once you beat 9, 10 feels like a walk in the park but I still like 10.

I think the OP is missing the point of the DLC in both games; Gameplay, just pure raw gameplay, more gameplay for you to chew on, but here you are whinning about an ending and cinematics...really? 'cause that's why we play Megaman so we can watch the awesome story unfold...lame indeed.

I'm a bit unsure why I get replies that refer to my post as "review" - of course my text is absolutely opinion based. I also never said I regret putting the money in either of the games - I'd buy both again and I got my fun out of the cash I spent, just that personally it feels to me like "worth my money but not as good as I'd expect of a megaman game". (10)

I can perfectly understand that there might be people out there that get their enjoyment out of fetching multiple achievements with a new protoman sprite and according features - but I say that to me it is overrated because I'm not one of them. As bad and worthless the story might be - hinting at another behaviour of protoman in the end credits when finishing the MegaMan part and just omitting that totally when finishing the game with the new option is something that I dislike. (They seemed to think the same and altered both of the mentioned points for MM10)

As for MM10 - exactly that is where my problem was. I guess it IS a walk in the park for people that have the appropriate skills (personally it still took me some hours to finish) but to compensate for that they set bizarre respawn points (like the one before the mid level boss). So all in all as an average player I got more frustrated at the easier game.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member

Yeah in Europe it's 'nez' and 'snez'.