MegaMan10 is overrated

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Due to a lack of fighters I took the time to finish MegaMan 8, 9 and 10 in my vacation together with a pal.

I read some reviews to all of the games and honestly I do not get where the high scores in magazines for MM10 come from.

MegaMan8
I played 8 first on the Saturn and was astonished how well they got the game forward. Now we have cut scenes, charging the blaster, sliding and behold - we can actually use the blaster while having another weapon equipped - one might think Dr. Light for once did actually try to IMPROVE his Bot.

The voice acting is absolutely crappy - but then again it gives the game a unique touch in my opinion.
The bosses are well thought out, actually do look different from the standard sizes/variations and you actually can use many of the weapons for different occasions, there are snowboarding and even shmup levels - I liked that a lot.
The game is a bit on the easy side but hey - it is fun.

MegaMan 9
We are on superior hardware now (compared to the Saturn) and what we get is a MegaMan that looks again like MM1. Well ok it has a bit of retro charme, but shortly after having played 8 - I miss some of the possibilities I had there (then again there was more time between the games for other ppl so that might not be a problem for everyone)
The stages are "ok" and I have to grin from time to time. The weapons are interesting, and things like the "Bee shot" and especially the "Black Hole" are very fun and rewarding to use.
More difficult and it took us some time to finish - still I can't remember anything that really stood out stage or boss wise apart from Wily Boss Phase 1.
What we also get is the bane of "downloadable content" and my words of advice to NOT expect a different ending when buying protoman. Gladly I checked YouTube - there is none.

MegaMan 10
Freshest Impression - so let me talk about the good things first: The sheepman stage. The End.
There is not a single weapon that is memorable or that I liked.
The worst weapon I ever used in the MegaMan series... the stormcloud! A hell to place, pointless if it touches an enemy before doing it's "magic" - horrible.
The bosses and levels are with the exception of sheep and strike man pretty boring, and while "alternate paths" are a nice touch - I sometimes would have opted to take neither.

What does make the game feel like a ripoff too is the placement of continue points. This is the first time ever I saw me placed BEFORE a mid boss on a continue point intstead of after it. And while defeating the boss was easy enough with the right weapon it still is annoying as hell.
This time we get proto man for free at least and a "hard" setting - but if I had to choose I'd rather do another MegaMan again.

Personal ranking
8 > 9 > 10

Last edited:

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Did you ever try Rockman & Forte / Mega man and Bass? On SNES. I always thought that one was the real mega man 9.

I never bothered with mega man 9 and 10.

Megaman 8 on the other hand is some good childhood memories.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
You are very welcome to disagree and state your opinion on this topic as this is what this thread is for - I look forward to it.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It's totally fine to say you don't like the game and don't understand the appeal.

But you're just labeling a bunch of superficial criteria as horrible, annoying, boring, pointless etc.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Due to a lack of fighters I took the time to finish MegaMan 8, 9 and 10 in my vacation together with a pal.

I read some reviews to all of the games and honestly I do not get where the high scores in magazines for MM10 come from.

MegaMan8
I played 8 first on the Saturn and was astonished how well they got the game forward. Now we have cut scenes, charging the blaster, sliding and behold - we can actually use the blaster while having another weapon equipped - one might think Dr. Light for once did actually try to IMPROVE his Bot.

The voice acting is absolutely crappy - but then again it gives the game a unique touch in my opinion.
The bosses are well thought out, actually do look different from the standard sizes/variations and you actually can use many of the weapons for different occasions, there are snowboarding and even shmup levels - I liked that a lot.
The game is a bit on the easy side but hey - it is fun.

MegaMan 9
We are on superior hardware now (compared to the Saturn) and what we get is a MegaMan that looks again like MM1. Well ok it has a bit of retro charme, but shortly after having played 8 - I miss some of the possibilities I had there (then again there was more time between the games for other ppl so that might not be a problem for everyone)
The stages are "ok" and I have to grin from time to time. The weapons are interesting, and things like the "Bee shot" and especially the "Black Hole" are very fun and rewarding to use.
More difficult and it took us some time to finish - still I can't remember anything that really stood out stage or boss wise apart from Wily Boss Phase 1.
What we also get is the bane of "downloadable content" and my words of advice to NOT expect a different ending when buying protoman. Gladly I checked YouTube - there is none.

MegaMan 10
Freshest Impression - so let me talk about the good things first: The sheepman stage. The End.
There is not a single weapon that is memorable or that I liked.
The worst weapon I ever used in the MegaMan series... the stormcloud! A hell to place, pointless if it touches an enemy before doing it's "magic" - horrible.
The bosses and levels are with the exception of sheep and strike man pretty boring, and while "alternate paths" are a nice touch - I sometimes would have opted to take neither.

What does make the game feel like a ripoff too is the placement of continue points. This is the first time ever I saw me placed BEFORE a mid boss on a continue point intstead of after it. And while defeating the boss was easy enough with the right weapon it still is annoying as hell.
This time we get proto man for free at least and a "hard" setting - but if I had to choose I'd rather do another MegaMan again.

Personal ranking
8 > 9 > 10

Don't quit your dayjob.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Mega Man 8 is actually considered one the worst games in the series by pretty much all classic MM fans. I'd take 9 or 10 over 7 or 8 any day.

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
News flash. The entire Mega Man franchise is overrated. It is composed of mostly average games that get praised almost entirely on nostalgia. We get it. The NES library, while full of platformers, was kind of lacking in the action platformer subgenre aside from Mega Man. It's ok for what it is, but there have been better action platformers made since then.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
I never played 9, and I thought 10 was great.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Lame.

Megaman 9 will level up your platforming skills, once you beat 9, 10 feels like a walk in the park but I still like 10.

I think the OP is missing the point of the DLC in both games; Gameplay, just pure raw gameplay, more gameplay for you to chew on, but here you are whinning about an ending and cinematics...really? 'cause that's why we play Megaman so we can watch the awesome story unfold...lame indeed.

In all sincerity I recommend you Gunvolt Azure Striker for the 3DS, its DLC only but it's a great game, has that feel of the 2D evolution that Megaman was making through the Megaman Zero series in the gameplay aspect but it doesn't have all the nuances that the Zero series was plagued with.

I understand where you're coming from though, Megaman 9> Megaman 10 but I don't think 10 is overated, in fact I think it's underated but I blame Capcom for trying to please the fans with the friendly difficulty, I wish they have made it harder than 9, you know turn it up a notch and make you grow as a gamer.

News flash. The entire Mega Man franchise is overrated. It is composed of mostly average games that get praised almost entirely on nostalgia. We get it. The NES library, while full of platformers, was kind of lacking in the action platformer subgenre aside from Mega Man. It's ok for what it is, but there have been better action platformers made since then.
You are fucking crazy. Seriously, completely fucking wrong in every possible way. I don't even have to start naming games 'cause every body knows the NES has the best action platformers ever, ever!

I just dunno, how can you validate this opinion of yours, I mean you must be trolling...am I rite?

Last edited:

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
For real.

This Sega16 reject exposed himself as truly ignorant.

The NES/FC is the ultimate action/platform console of all time.

Yes, because it has such great titles as Mega Man. And more Mega Man. And...even more Mega Man.

Do you even know what an action platformer is? Having enemies does not make a platformer an action platformer.

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
Well? I'm waiting. Where are all these great action platformers on the NES aside from Mega Man? Super Mario Bros. and the like is traditional platforming.

Face it, the NES library, while fantastic compared to the competition at the time, fails pretty hard by today's standards. It's mostly brought up in mockery reviews like AVGN.

The fourth generation just had more and better everything. SMB3 is the crown jewel of the NES. As fantastic as it is, it doesn't change the fact that the platform is littered with garbage.

Truth hurts, guys.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yes, because it has such great titles as Mega Man. And more Mega Man. And...even more Mega Man.

Do you even know what an action platformer is? Having enemies does not make a platformer an action platformer.
Enlighten us and share with us what an action platformer is from your perspective. I can't wait to read what comes out of your ass.

Dude, WTF, do you even know what a NES is? Fuck anyone that plays the NES knows that there are plenty of great action platformers and I could list them, but really and I say this in all honesty and with no malice; you're a moron. Really, I get the whole difference of opinion thing but damn sometimes you can't ignore stupidity.

Last edited:

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
Mega Man is an action platformer. Super Mario Bros. is not. Why don't you use your tiny little brain and figure out the difference between the two?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Haha

I'm just going to sit back for awhile.

You know. Milking in it.

Like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Leech.

You fuckin' with the wrong dudes, son!

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I bet someone on Sega-16 dared him to come over here and try to get banned.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
@ASID I'm just gonna have my Ancient Ship of Doom come get you so you can chill up here with me on the wings like action platforming bad asses...

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
If you guys honestly don't know the difference between traditional platforming and action platforming, I don't think I want to spend any more time conversing with you.

Do I have to spell it out for you? A game must have a significant amount of focus on combat in addition to platforming to be an action platformer. Dispatching enemies and combat in general are not significant gameplay elements in games like Super Mario Bros. and the original Sonic trilogy. They have just a hint of action completely surrounded by traditional platforming. If a game has one short segment where a gun is fired, it does not automatically become a shooter. By your wide definition, any platform game with an enemy that can be killed would be an action platformer, and there would be no such thing as a traditional platformer.

If you honestly think Super Mario Bros. and Mega Man can be classified identically down to a sub-genre, I don't have anything left to say. You're just a wall that can't listen to reason.