Panasonic Plasma 50 stopped working today, help?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
So I'm watching a movie with my kid and the TV goes off. Try to turn it back on, red lights blinking but never goes on. Look up on youtube and it looks like some thermal fuse, but my power board isn't the same as the guys on the video. Can't find anything for my power board. The only thing I notices when I opened the TV up was one BIG capacitor is kind of domed on the back. The others are all flat or concave. The TV isn't too old, 4-5 years, but definitely out of warranty and I was wondering if anyone here has a clue on how to get this thing up and running again. Any help or direction (yes I know it's hard without seeing everything) would really be appreciated. With the 2nd kid being here less than a month, I have very little TV funds right now...pre-tax return etc..and that's pretty much spent already.

thanks!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
So I'm watching a movie with my kid and the TV goes off. Try to turn it back on, red lights blinking but never goes on. Look up on youtube and it looks like some thermal fuse, but my power board isn't the same as the guys on the video. Can't find anything for my power board. The only thing I notices when I opened the TV up was one BIG capacitor is kind of domed on the back. The others are all flat or concave. The TV isn't too old, 4-5 years, but definitely out of warranty and I was wondering if anyone here has a clue on how to get this thing up and running again. Any help or direction (yes I know it's hard without seeing everything) would really be appreciated. With the 2nd kid being here less than a month, I have very little TV funds right now...pre-tax return etc..and that's pretty much spent already.

thanks!

Would you be able to take some pictures of the boards as well as the domed cap? Also, what model tv is it?

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
First components that go in newer flatpanels are PSU Caps, if its an electrolytic cap and domed its likely bad and needs to be replaced.

Remember that Capacitors are rated by hrs and depending on TV brand and even the model can vary with the quality of components.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
It does sound like you have at least one suspect capacitor. If that is all that is wrong, it should be an easy repair.

Post some pics, so we can better help you out.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Panasonic Plasma TC-P50S1 Viera

22331642-293a-485f-b978-8953fa22c4fa_zps3ee36809.jpg

20150106_133724_zps7261c17b.jpg

20150106_133817_zps286eeb43.jpg

20150106_133802_zps0295280d.jpg

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I can take larger and more close up pics with the DSLR if needed, but the 3rd pic shows the domed cap pretty well. If these pictures aren't good enough, please tell me exactly what you need and what angle is best.

Last edited:

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
That PCB looks easy to get to. Pull it out and replace all the caps, or send it off to someone if you don't feel up to the doing the repair yourself.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
That large one is definitely breaking down. I'd replace all the electrolytic caps on that Power Supply board.
This..

It's a good idea to replace the HV film caps too, they take a beating as well. They are the red chicklets 450-600V.
The only pain in ass with these things are all those large electros are all snap in now. You probably wont find the same footprint in the same value.
I've done a few TVs for friends and I wound up hot glueing them on their side and using jumper wires.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
thanks!! I'll get on ordering stuff today. Man I miss HSC being in town :(

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Might not be much help now that you found the likely culprit, but here's a tip for future readers of this thread-

You can count the number of blinks the red light makes before pausing and starting to blink again. It's an error number.

I used this to look up the error when my Panny Plasma 55" suddenly wouldn't turn on, but had the blinking light. It led me to an easy power supply board fix.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I found three HDTV's in peoples trash of the span of a year and maybe the year before. I repaired all three with simple cap replacements. Master this art and you can potentially have a HDTV work WAYYYY longer then it should. Watch out for that shit brand of caps. CapXon. I swear, I run into these and I wanna just toss them day one. I don't like those caps, and that brand has scored me over a grand in free gear, because people just think the TV's or toast, or assume repairs are to expensive, and they'd be better just buying another.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Mine ended up being the SC board, but the power board seemed like at least that big cap was going bad. Thanks for the advice folks. Tv is back up and running.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Mine ended up being the SC board, but the power board seemed like at least that big cap was going bad. Thanks for the advice folks. Tv is back up and running.

Nice, glad you figured everything out!