PS Vita questions.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Sorry for the stupid questions that have probably already been asked dozens of times.

I seem to recall reading that the PS Vita that comes with Borderlands 2 does not use OLEDs and that the older ones that do are preferred. Is this correct? Are there any newer versions of the PS Vita stateside (aside from the Borderlands 2 version) that don't use OLEDs?

Also, is what I read correct in that the Vita is not region locked?

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I can't answer your questions about OLEDs, I have a launch unit and haven't paid attention.

As far as region goes, the handhelds themselves are region free, but your PSN account can only do purchases in whatever country the address is in and changing to a different PSN account is a pain in the ass.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I can't accurately comment on the region locking deal (although I believe that it is region-free) because I don't have any non-NA games. But what you are saying about the OLED screens is correct. No new unit that you will find on store shelves has the OLED screen. The system was redesigned to bring down the cost, and the sweet OLED screen was the primary casualty.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Orginal launch units do have OLED screens that are brighter and have better PQ. The newer models have LCD screen and thinner profile. I've not seen both units side by side for comparison, but my brother's Vita is launch and the PQ is great.

From what ive read, the screen is just dimmer and the colors on screen dont pop as much, but its really your personal preference to what you look for in screens

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The best way to tell the difference between a OLED vita and LCD vita is to look at the start and select buttons on the front of the package. OLED models have oval buttons whereas LCD models have round buttons. If going for a an OLED model go to Wal Mart , yet usually have old stock.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I checked our Wal-Mart, they haven't had any in ages. Amazon had none previously but the Borderlands package, and now that they have some stand alone again I'm wondering if they're the new or old ones. The description says OLED.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If you're really looking to get one I can check around here and see if any of the OLEDs are still around.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I can confirm that a US Vita will play Japanese game cards. Not sure how that will effect online play. I picked up a Jpn Earth Defense Force from Neo Moe and it plays fine.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
If you're really looking to get one I can check around here and see if any of the OLEDs are still around.

I am. If you find any let me know.

I read the reviews on Amazon. Even though the description is for the OLED model, recent reviews say they're getting the new model, and in many cases coming with bad chargers and looking like they're used ones that are re-packaged.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I've seen plenty on my local CL ads. Check there, people usually bundle it with some games.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I can confirm that a US Vita will play Japanese game cards. Not sure how that will effect online play. I picked up a Jpn Earth Defense Force from Neo Moe and it plays fine.

Hey that's me!!!!

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
The OLED screen is amazing and worth seeking out. I cant imagine the LCD version being any better.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
The OLED model is the way to go. As the other guys said, picture quality is better on the older model. The new one is slightly thinner, lighter, has a bit more battery life and has a 1GB memory on board (which oddly isn't accessable once you put in a memory card from what I read). But these are marginal changes compared to that OLED screen. The new model is PCH-2000 (or some variant of 2000), the old one is PCH-1000 (or some variant of 1000). At this point, unless you buy second hand or pay above original retail from 3rd parties, you're likely not finding an OLED model in stores. Ppl have listed nice units here for good prices tho, so if you're patient or try sniping on eBay, you can probably snag a nice one.

The system is region free entirely BUT it locks down on one PSN account. So if you use a US account, you can only attach to the US market. So you can play the JPN games, but you won't be able to access the market or online for those games in most cases. The only way to switch is to keep reformating the system memory, which just seems like a great way to brick a system. A lot of people (myself included) that do a lot of importing rock a US region unt and JPN region unit separately.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've heard some people say the new ones are a little brighter, but that's probably because they've only had uncalibrated lcd tvs and don't understand proper black levels.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
The OLED model is the way to go. As the other guys said, picture quality is better on the older model. The new one is slightly thinner, lighter, has a bit more battery life and has a 1GB memory on board (which oddly isn't accessable once you put in a memory card from what I read). But these are marginal changes compared to that OLED screen. The new model is PCH-2000 (or some variant of 2000), the old one is PCH-1000 (or some variant of 1000). At this point, unless you buy second hand or pay above original retail from 3rd parties, you're likely not finding an OLED model in stores. Ppl have listed nice units here for good prices tho, so if you're patient or try sniping on eBay, you can probably snag a nice one.

The system is region free entirely BUT it locks down on one PSN account. So if you use a US account, you can only attach to the US market. So you can play the JPN games, but you won't be able to access the market or online for those games in most cases. The only way to switch is to keep reformating the system memory, which just seems like a great way to brick a system. A lot of people (myself included) that do a lot of importing rock a US region unt and JPN region unit separately.

You don't have to format system memory, just have a second memory card for a different region. You will have to reset the system though to change the region for your PSN though if that's what you meant by reformatting the system memory.

I believe the new LCD model vitas start with the 2xxx model number. It has some internal RAM (1GB) in it and a slightly better battery life. You can also find more color variants in this 2nd gen vita.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I've heard some people say the new ones are a little brighter, but that's probably because they've only had uncalibrated lcd tvs and don't understand proper black levels.
ooh a good reason to post KidPandas pic?! the bottoms the new kind. I can tell by the S/S buttons(Thanks thread).
attachment.php

those people are wrong.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
ooh a good reason to post KidPandas pic?! the bottoms the new kind. I can tell by the S/S buttons(Thanks thread).
attachment.php

those people are wrong.

Nice sandals. Also, I enjoy the colors of the launch model, but don't own a PS Vita at this time.

snk`

Kula's Candy
Sorry for the stupid questions that have probably already been asked dozens of times.

I seem to recall reading that the PS Vita that comes with Borderlands 2 does not use OLEDs and that the older ones that do are preferred. Is this correct? Are there any newer versions of the PS Vita stateside (aside from the Borderlands 2 version) that don't use OLEDs?

Also, is what I read correct in that the Vita is not region locked?

PSVita (Fat) is OLED
PSVita (Slim/latest model) is LCD

I can't comment on the picture quality as I have not compared them both next to each other but the Slim version is noticeably slim.

PSVita games are region free, but save files & DLCs are not. You have to choose your PSN region carefully before you commit.

Ps. I own a PS Vita (fat), the handheld has great potential but it seems like Sony has ditched big titles on it & decided to focus on indie ports. :shame:

JLZ

Rugal's Thug
I've got a launch/fat vita and the screen is fantastic.

Have they patched borderlands now? I heard that it was very buggy when it came out

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Seems like the newer models have good batteries in them, not the pieces of shit like in PSP where if you didn't play it, the batteries died fast.

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
One thing not mentioned in the thread is that the Vita Slim uses a micro-USB charger instead of a proprietary one the original had.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I have the original vita from when it came out.

It really is a remarkable handheld.

I just got the official dock/charge station, I really recommend anyone with a vita to get it, it has a 3.5mm stereo out port also.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
Seems like the newer models have good batteries in them, not the pieces of shit like in PSP where if you didn't play it, the batteries died fast.
The battery life is approximately 1 hour more in the new model over the old OLED... I'm assuming that the screen choice is the difference in battery life and not the battery itself.