PS Vita questions.

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
I have two fat vitas (OLED). One is a launch one, the other is a rare demo kiosk model.

The OLED screens are awesome but one of mine has some burn in (kiosk model) probably because being on constantly, etc.

Originally it would reset every 5mins but you can by pass the timer and go on PSN with it and play retail games.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Might be able to get an pre-owned/refurbished OLED from Gamestop....I have no idea if they carry them or how much they sell for, but worth checking.

I have a white one from the Ass Creed bundle and I love it

neo_mao

15 Year Member
FYI
http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/con...-with-wifi-white-recharged-refurbished/107566

I believe these were $250 when they came out (though they came with a game and memory card)...but $170 might not be a terrible price...

Honestly though I have not been keeping tabs on used Vita prices.

Also, as an added note I order my PSP 3000 online as a recharge refurb and was totally happy with it...not saying that is the case with every pre-owned system they sell, but I had a good experience

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
bah?
I watched a few really nice oleds end on ebay recently under 150$ shipped even a white one. every time I checked I found a few nice ones ending within a day...if the pic looks good and the description says its good and fully functional you should be covered right? unless these things bite the big one or kick the bucket like 360s or yloders do?

edit then I checked the link! 170$ for a white oled with no hassle of waiting to bid isn't too bad, like moe says though theres no individual pic, so its a gamble(sorta).aaand when I just tried oled vita on ebay it came up quite short of what I was suggesting...slumps shoulders and shambles off to skulk. actually there are a few. found more by excluding oled from the search(yes old models). if you get one that''has had a screen protector from day one'' and pull it and give a rubbing alcohol wipedown, should be set yeah?

Last edited:

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
FYI
http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/con...-with-wifi-white-recharged-refurbished/107566

I believe these were $250 when they came out (though they came with a game and memory card)...but $170 might not be a terrible price...

Honestly though I have not been keeping tabs on used Vita prices.

Also, as an added note I order my PSP 3000 online as a recharge refurb and was totally happy with it...not saying that is the case with every pre-owned system they sell, but I had a good experience

Only issue with Vitas I can see from Gamestop... they don't even seem to put them in boxes anymore. Saw them in the stores near me hanging on hooks in a bag. Idk if that was just for display, but if they are just chucking them in shipping boxes like that, I'd be worried about what happens to.... well.... everything on them.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Only issue with Vitas I can see from Gamestop... they don't even seem to put them in boxes anymore. Saw them in the stores near me hanging on hooks in a bag. Idk if that was just for display, but if they are just chucking them in shipping boxes like that, I'd be worried about what happens to.... well.... everything on them.

Ugh, sadly tat doesn't surprise me, some kind of space saving move I assume (like chucking DS game cases).

I ordered my psp online and it came packaged pretty well, in its own little box which seemed to be made especially for it. This may have changed now, and I bet managers have discretion on how they want to display them in their own physical stores....but based on Karous comments I guess $170 isn't a great price anyway....

Kind sucks that Sony retired the oled model...I mean Nintendo still offers the original sized 3ds I believe.

But then again, Vitas aren't really a hot seller so probably would not make a lot of sense offering both simultaneously...

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Recharge systems come pre packaged from GameStops refurbished facility. These are systems that were taken in at a store and sent back because they were defective. When they "recharge" a system they "fix" the system, and usually add in either an extra controller, or in this case ear buds and a cleaning cloth. The ones you see hanging in bags are used systems that were taken back at the store level. The problem.with recharge systems is that the refurbishment process used to be so half assed that a good 80% of them came back defective. I don't know if this has changed, as I haven't been with the company in several years, but recharged 360s would return within hours of being sold. The best bet is to just go into a local store and just ask to get a good condition used system. With them being in bags, even the laziest of employee will be able to open it within seconds, and repackage it if its trash. They are also typically $10 to $20 cheaper if you buy used over recharged.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I know people go bananas over the OLED model, but there are some negatives that have already been mentioned. I weighed the differences before I bought mine.

OLED
+Better Screen
+Better Contrast
+Better PQ overall
-Worse Battery
-Worse Screen Life
-Uses a quite proprietary power connector and charger cable. It's a pain. Need converters just to use USB ports.

LCD
+Better brightness
+MicroUSB port for charging. Use any cable.
+Thinner
+Lighter - A lot lighter.
+Better Battery
-Screen is not the OLED. But still amazing.

Borderlands on this thing is fun, but it's not PC quality of course. It's fun just to play Borderlands on the go.

And FYI, best buy has Resistance and Sly Cooper + some other for $5....

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
durn it Mr Sneth, whats this bit about screen life on the oled? over the course of how long/how much use before its an issue? does it outright die, or just start sucking?

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
durn it Mr Sneth, whats this bit about screen life on the oled? over the course of how long/how much use before its an issue? does it outright die, or just start sucking?

It will gradually change over 10 years. That's the O in OLED. The color balance will start to shift first. This starts with the Blue, but others also start to go.
You will probably not see it unless you are playing the Vita every day for a many years. It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. There's also the potential for burn in which someone has already mentioned. I am not aware of pixel shift on a vita, but It does dim and turn off if you dont use it.

The comparison is very similar to Plasma v LCD if you know that story better.

I have the OLED model, but I bought my brother the Slim version. I would say the slim is the better of the two overall. The charging cable alone bugs the shit out of me if you cant tell. It looks like a USB, but the pins aren't the same. You have to use an adapter or mod the cable to use with standard USB ports.

Such a beautiful handheld. I was playing Lumines in bed last night, and ended up getting a new personal best on the first go.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
thanks for that.

do the buttons and arrows on dpad light up during use? maybe even with the correct colors on square circle and such?
not sure if that would be cool or annoying. so if they do can you turn them off?

Last edited:

jt4mtb

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
thanks for that.

do the buttons and arrows on dpad light up during use? maybe even with the correct colors on square circle and such?
not sure if that would be cool or annoying. so if they do an you turn them off?

Not sure about the slim model, but on the original OLED model there's no lighting on the d-pad or face buttons. The only button with a light is the PS/home button, which I almost never notice since my left hand is usually blocking it from view.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
no button lighting on either. I think that would be distracting.

You can customize most behaviors of the device. There's also a myriad of shortcuts and features that most people never know about. I've forgotten many of them already.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
mines going to be delivered tommorrow and I got my dragons crown today. after seeing the 10mb on the front I go online thinking I'll be fine its got that much storage on the system at least. but alas I have learned that most games worth a shart need a card installed to start, theres lists online and its in the fine print on the back of the game. I mean its not like I haven't got a memory card on the way... but its not trackable and I would have paid more to get one faster(20$shipped for 16gb). eh maybe it(the card) will come tommorow?

so yeah if you can't make a quick trip to a store to grab a memory card make sure to get one before you ''need'' it?:mad_2:

edit:thanks for answering about the buttons! ...they just sort of looked hollowish like the whitish color was all recessed in there in pics, so I thought it was possible? plus as expensive as they were and still are I thought they might be FANCY?

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
mines going to be delivered tommorrow and I got my dragons crown today. after seeing the 10mb on the front I go online thinking I'll be fine its got that much storage on the system at least. but alas I have learned that most games worth a shart need a card installed to start, theres lists online and its in the fine print on the back of the game. I mean its not like I haven't got a memory card on the way... but its not trackable and I would have paid more to get one faster(20$shipped for 16gb). eh maybe it(the card) will come tommorow?

so yeah if you can't make a quick trip to a store to grab a memory card make sure to get one before you ''need'' it?:mad_2:

edit:thanks for answering about the buttons! ...they just sort of looked hollowish like the whitish color was all recessed in there in pics, so I thought it was possible? plus as expensive as they were and still are I thought they might be FANCY?

kind of annoying with that memory card thing isn't it? I just dove head first into the whole vita thing a few weeks ago myself, picked up the retail version of project diva 2nd (which is a game card) thinking it should be able to save right onto the card, I mean, it's not a disc after all right? yeah, no, had to go right back out after getting home to buy a mem card. I was planning to get one soon anyway since I wanted the first project diva also (which was a DL only release in US) but this was while PSN was down and it wasn't like I was gonna be able to get it quickly anyway.

tl:dr lesson learned, got the mem card and all is right now.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
got mine (oled) 133$ shipped and its like brand new, the ''scratch'' you Can find has to be looked for closely with it tilted the right way and its on the back the front is pristine! actually had a gb memory card too which is an awesome bonus... except erasing the profile wasn't easy. I was really scared to select the option that said it would not be able to be untied, so I set up a profile and couldn't sign in with it at that part when I was still trying to be ''him'' then after I finally got to doing it right psn was down for maintenance and took forever to prompt to check my payment making info and after it did it took forever so I backed up and then it took forever to prompt to check it again and then finally accept it... geez I thought I'd just get a game and the system and be set?? this was way worse than setting my wiiu up was way back when I got it at its holiday launch time, with even transfering the wii to it and its server being slow. and this is ''just'' a handheld thats not even new scene? I'm really glad I didn't pay full price at a store and have to buy a memory card for what they used to cost though. I guess it was worth the saving but it took hours searching the net trying the ps r trigger power buttons hold that wouldn't work etc.

edit:also if you have never seen these in person-they are small! I can't imagine what trying to hold a slim would be like. I might have to get a battery grip addon, as the battery seems to die fast, maybe thats why he sold it.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
The buttons are certainly small. I do play mine with a grip at home.

You probably picked one of the best games to show off the OLED screen with Dragon's Crown. So much colour in that game.

Again, BestBuy.com has so many games on clearance right now. You'd be a fool not to pick them up for $5 a piece.