Grab in KOF

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
In the case where both players move directions and push buttons to make it last more/less time (ex: Joe or Chang grab), how is it determined? Is there a number of inputs required for the first player reaching it wins (more time for graber, less time for the one being grabbed)?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
If I am understanding your question correctly, the answer would be whatever character's throw startup is shorter in frames. Also, some throws, for example in KOF 98 Advanced mode, there are throws that can be broken/escaped and those that are unbreakable. Joe has a back or forward + C throw that is unbreakable, however if you use the D button to throw with, an opponent can escape.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
For example Joe's grab where he kicks opponent several times: both players mash buttons and stick, but what determines how many hits he will perform?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Well, the window in which one can break a throw is very short, if the opponent misses this window, your grab is free to continue if you performed the correct input.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Isn't this similar to Samurai Showdown when the characters' katanas bind? The game prompts the players to mash buttons to gain the advantage, but really the game randomly chooses a player.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
In kof i don't think its random. I was just curious how it works since you can escape after every hit i think. Is it a frequency of inputs that decides the outcome, is it ABCD buttons only or directions as well?