How long will this amiibo craze last?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The fact that good parts of Splatoon are locked behind amiibos that will be impossible to find is kind of annoying.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
The fact that good parts of Splatoon are locked behind amiibos that will be impossible to find is kind of annoying.
Yeah this is pretty stupid. The fact there's a 3 pack with figure you can only get in said three pack kind of defeats the point of buying the other two figures on there own in the long wrong. They should all be sold on their own and the 3 pack should have just been a deal for the people who wanted all three.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Yeah this is pretty stupid. The fact there's a 3 pack with figure you can only get in said three pack kind of defeats the point of buying the other two figures on there own in the long wrong. They should all be sold on their own and the 3 pack should have just been a deal for the people who wanted all three.

And they did just that for Japan. You can get the Squid by himself there, but not in North America.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
In Europe, the squid is a pack in for the special edition of the game they are getting there, not unlike Mario Party 10. Did you guys read about the truck full of Splatoon special editions that got jacked. Game had to break the news to a lot of customers that they wouldn't be able to fulfill most of their orders anymore. Shitty...

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I don't know the street date for Wave 4 in the US, but I saw Pac-Man and Charizard at my local Walmart 2 days ago for sale already.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I don't know the street date for Wave 4 in the US, but I saw Pac-Man and Charizard at my local Walmart 2 days ago for sale already.

Guess someone there fucked up. They are all street dated for Friday, May 29th.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I thought that if enough time passed, they would fix the supply issue with Amiibos. I was wrong so far. To this day I still see nothing but the same 5 characters on shelves. If I'm going to go collecting these things, they'd better make an Amiibo game. I bought a few when they first came out, and found them to be useless other than as a nice shelf decoration.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Finally got my Villager. That was such a pain. No interest in hunting these, but I got the one I was after and a few others for Mario Kart and Smash. And yes... I open my Amiibos. True Amiibros don't let Amiibros keep sealed Amiibos.

villager.jpg

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Switch your habit to Disney Infinity or Lego Dimensions (or Skylanders). You'll get more gaming enjoyment out of the figures and they're easier to collect.

Disney Infinity = Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars

Lego Dimensions = Lord of the Rings, DC Comics, Back to the Future, Wizard of Oz, The Simpsons, Scooby-Doo, Doctor Who, Portal 2, Lego Movie

Last edited:

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
So who here is hitting up Wal-Mart at midnight tonight in hopes they get the totally going to be rare Silver Mario Amiibo?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
So who here is hitting up Wal-Mart at midnight tonight in hopes they get the totally going to be rare Silver Mario Amiibo?

I'd just go to Target, Toys R Us, or buy it off Amazon tomorrow...

Also... Wal-Mart's Gold Mario is way rarer than the more common Silver. They all have derp eyes, though. :loco:

Last edited:

TheBigBB

Switch your habit to Disney Infinity or Lego Dimensions (or Skylanders). You'll get more gaming enjoyment out of the figures and they're easier to collect.

Disney Infinity = Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars

Lego Dimensions = Lord of the Rings, DC Comics, Back to the Future, Wizard of Oz, The Simpsons, Scooby-Doo, Doctor Who, Portal 2, Lego Movie

I feel weird saying this, since the target market is supposed to be kids, but Skylanders is really the best figure game that's out right now. Infinity is buggy as hell, and the characters feel awful in combat. Skylanders plays like a classic action RPG or beat-em-up. It's actually challenging on nightmare mode difficulty, too. Not that I'd recommend it to the average person seeing as you have to pay hundreds of dollars to get all the figures.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Still waiting for that damn OG 3DS Amibo portal to come out. Mega Man is still in his packaging months later.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I went by Target this morning and got their last Splatoon 3 pack. They still had a shopping cart full of Jiggly Puffs and a few Pac-Mans but everything else was gone.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
If anyone can snag an extra Jigglypuff, I've got a Gold Mario for trade.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
When I remembered that Wave 4 was out today I went FUCK! I have to find Splatoon amiibos. The Target closest to me has them in stock.

Then, I went fuck amiibos, I can think of better uses for my time and $35.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
I imagine it'll be slim pickings on most of the Wave 4 figures since everyone sold out of pre-orders. I'd love to have the FE ones but I know that's a pipe dream at this point unless I shell out $$$ to some fogot reseller (which isn't going to happen). The one I want the most is Pac-Man so I'm hoping he'll be like Mega Man and Sonic and be uncommonly common. ;)

As for alternatives/competition...I went all in on Disney Infinity. The kids like it since the characters are immediately recognizable to them but the game itself leaves a little to be desired. :confused:

I keep hearing good things about the Skylanders game itself though the toys are largely hideous looking. I'm leery to take the Nestea plunge on these because I'm REALLY intrigued by LEGO Dimensions. :drool:

TheBigBB

When I remembered that Wave 4 was out today I went FUCK! I have to find Splatoon amiibos. The Target closest to me has them in stock.

Then, I went fuck amiibos, I can think of better uses for my time and $35.

I saw all the new ones at Gamestop this morning, but I couldn't bring myself to buy any of them. What the fuck do they do again? Anything? I mean what is the functionality in upcoming games going to be? I can't find shit about this. They don't even advertise what the figures do because people just buy them anyway.