How long will this amiibo craze last?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Now that the dust has settled and Christmas is over, do you think the prices will settle?

I mean look at how dumb this is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ROSALINA-LUMA-Amiibo-Rare-Exclusive-Nintendo-Wii-U-3DS-Figure-SEALED/381100174839?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003150253%26meid%3Ddf34b3160fa745b1b916424d7bf29468%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D20131003150253%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D301456840276

This shit isn't even out. People are literally buying a preorder.

Hopefully rosalina is available along with meta knight when they come out in February cause I would like them both. It is sad when I've seen people preorder-10-15 of these, and I have also seen a picture of someone with 30 marths lol.

Shulk selling out almost immediately is hilarious,along with rosalina, metaknight, and lucario. It amazes me that nintendo keep going to gamestop for xenoblade shit (especially after the wii fiasco with it).

At least I got my captain falcon amiibo. I wish I would've got a us Wii fit trainer or little mac, had wii fit one in my cart but decided to not get around the 27th of november.If anyone has an extra wii fit, little mac, pit, or even the retarded preorders ones for a decent price I wouldn't mind buying. I was surprised pit and little mac was back in stock at gamestop, but kept getting error checkout by the time I did it (12 PM EST), so it was all ogre.

TLDR; I think Nintendo did this shit on purpose, artificially limiting suply and creating hype to sell out their amiibos (they did it with the launch of the wii). Additionally, having store exclusives is dumb. I've heard rumors that nintendo plans to reprint "rare" amiibos into trading cards, if that is the case they can kindly fuck off.

also fuck marth amiibo, he wasn't even good looking and fuck the scalpers.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
video games don't attract a normal crowd of humans, so don't expect a normalization of prices.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
video games don't attract a normal crowd of humans, so don't expect a normalization of prices.

Agreed, but even normal people have the notion that amiibos =/rare. Maybe it is just christmas, who knows.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Nintendo had to create this hype to sell amiibos because they couldn't sell these based on their functionality alone...because they essentially do nothing anyway.

Kids would get bored with this shit in 5 minutes. They'd buy 1 or 2 of them, and then their parents would be like what is this stupid crap, realize they are useless and refuse to buy their kids more of them.

These are definitely not Skylanders/Infinity figures.

These are essentially trinkets for nerdy 30+ year olds who are willing/have the capacity to buy these "collectables"

And they got me hook line and sinker :(

Last edited:

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
yes, me also unfortunately - i've never been into collecting but like moe I'm hooked :(

you even have people on craigslist trying to sell them for insane prices.

incidently i need a Marth, Meta Knight , Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer to finish out the collection assuming my preorders don't get cancelled. But I'm not paying stupid eBay prices for any of them. Im hoping come February on the day of release i can just walk into Target and pick up a Rosalina.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
yes, me also unfortunately - i've never been into collecting but like moe I'm hooked :(

incidently i need a Marth, Meta Knight , Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer to finish out the collection assuming my preorders don't get cancelled. But I'm not paying stupid eBay prices for any of them. Im hoping come February on the day of release i can just walk into Target and pick up a Rosalina.

Sucks for me, I don't even have a target around here, closest one is 2 and half hours. If you find another one you should hit me up if you don't mind.

Last edited:

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I've purchased a few of these with the hope they add more functionality in the future. So far I think it's a cool idea. We'll see how they implement them into new games.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
The question I have for people that are buying them is: are you guys actually using them for their intended purpose (memory/stat holders for Smash Bros.) or, are you leaving them sealed in the box like Star Wars figures?

I don't even have to search for it to know the answer to this question...I wonder if anyone has VGA'd their Amiibos?:rolleyes:

Jon

neo_mao

15 Year Member

I'll trade you my Meta Knight for your 20th anniversary PS4 ;)

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I walked past these so many times without giving a second glance. Saw Pit, Zelda, Yoshi etc, I had no idea people were going ape shit for em.
Nintendo is probably just bleeding these all out slowly but this is clearly the next tickle me elmo bullshit. Honestly you'd have to be fucked to want to deal with all the retail bullshit to collect these. No offense :)

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Nintendo had to create this hype to sell amiibos because they couldn't sell these based on their functionality alone...because they essentially do nothing anyway.

Kids would get bored with this shit in 5 minutes. They'd buy 1 or 2 of them, and then their parents would be like what is this stupid crap, realize they are useless and refuse to buy their kids more of them.

These are definitely not Skylanders/Infinity figures.

These are essentially trinkets for nerdy 30+ year olds who are willing/have the capacity to buy these "collectables"

And they got me hook line and sinker :(

So this is why you sold your homecarts off. keke

neo_mao

15 Year Member
So this is why you sold your homecarts off. keke

Lol, no, I'm pretty stupid...but I'm not crazy ;)

No regrets on selling the homecarts at this point...and given the current AES scene I am pretty confident I won't be re-entering the market in the future...

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Yeah i saw these so many times & just kept telling myself this is stupid...Now it seems like the prices on them are getting higher & higher. Now i want one but just Little Mac. Want to put him on top of my playchoice 10 cab. They seem sold out everywhere.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I dont know much about these but I see so much about them. Are people buying these up just to collect/display or is it to use in games?

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I said this in the other thread but..I'm just going for the ones I like using in the game and would look cool on my shelf. When I was at Target they had them on sale so I picked up Link, mostly because I wanted to unlock the Spinner in Hyrule Warriors and to try it out in Smash Brothers. In Smash I like Shulk so I pre-ordered him and Mega Man since I love the way he looks and he's going to go with my other Mega Man figures I own. I plan on getting two Ness figures whenever their announced, one to keep the other to use, because Earthbound. I'm going to NYC on Monday to see the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree and I'm going to stop into Nintendo World. If they have either Little Mac or Pit I'll pick them up, because their two of my favorite NES games.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I am all good for people to spend their cash on crap like this.. might keep prices on other stuff lower hopefully :lolz: They will start appearing on craigslist dime a dozen in half an year ..just like the skylanders.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm just going to get the ones I think I'll use. Link is on my hitlist. They are good quality figures that look good on the shelf.

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I didn't want to get bit by the Amiibo bug, but it got me good. I just picked up a few (luckily a Villager) when they first were released. I thought that would be it, but then I found myself hunting around for them. I entertained the thought of buying two of each, one to keep sealed and one to play with, but have decided that is a bit much. I have a few that I opened carefully enough so that I can slide them back in the package if I so choose down the line.

It seems like some people are rather critical about the quality of these figures, but I think for the size and price point they are pretty damn good.

I'm really looking forward to the Duck Hunt Amiibo. I will probably double dip on that one.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I've got my first Amiibo as a christmas gif (Samus). This thing is very well made for the price, I agree but I still don't get the hype. I guess this must one of those Pokemon "gotta catch them all" thing.

northernsoul

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
I gave up trying to find any of the rare ones here in US stores. Ended up just buying them all from Amazon.de. There is no shortage in Europe, plus Rosalina and Lucario are not exclusive, and they come out earlier, so I pre-ordered them as well. Each amiibo cost me about $20, which minus the gas money and time spent driving around stores here, is totally worth it. I did pre-order a Shulk here, but the only one I haven't been able to get is Meta Knight from Best Buy.

People have started selling the European ones on US Amazon for a steep mark-up, but there are plenty available on Amazon Germany for 14.99 Euro.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The resellers certainly had a field day with this, sort of like Zhu Zhu Pets back in 2009.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Resellers ruin everything. I told everyone who would listen to pre-order the amiibos they wanted on amazon. I did that, getting about three per wave.