About to get a NEC console but confused...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
There seems to be a shit load of NEC console types and I don't know what to get.

I want something that plays TG16 games but I see PC Engine, Core, Briefcase, Duo, Duo R maybe some others.

What is the best one for just the card style games?

RGB out is a must.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I also got confused byt all the variants of the TG16 that exist. My research summarized in this:

Wikipedia said:
With only one exception, the PC Engine SuperGrafx, all PC Engine hardware could play the entire HuCard library, and every CD system could play all of the licensed CD games - with the right system card. Some unlicensed CD games by Games Express required a Duo system, due to their games requiring both a special system card packaged with the games and the 256 kB of RAM built into the Duo.

So it seems as long as you pick the correct CD add-on for your base system, you will be OK if you only care for licensed games. Regarding RGB:

RetroRGB said:
All versions of the TG-16 can be modded for RGB, but none output RGB natively. db-Electronics now offers a product that can attach to the "Turbo Booster" port in the rear of the unit, allowing for a mod-free RGB output!:

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboGrafx-16
http://retrorgb.com/tg16.html

Regards.

Last edited:

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
With TG16 you mean you're gonna just playing USA versions?

CD are region free, HuCards are not.

Word is PC Engine Duo R or RX are the way to go, don't know about reliability of the USA version TurboDuo.

For the RGB a you'll have to mod it, but I guess you won't find any problems at all in that matter.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
None of the systems have rgb, so either way you will need to mod it. The Core Grafx models have a 5 pin din jack that can be swapped for a 8 pin for a clean look easily.

If you really just want card games, I'd recommend getting the regular pce or Core Grafx and region modding it. Functionally it's the same as a tg16, but the Japanese units are smaller and cheaper.

That being said, my best advice is to just get a PCE Duo R. Sooner or later you're going to want to dive into the cd games, and the duo r is the best setup in price and reliability.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
get yourself a pce duo-r and do a switch mod for the hucard slot for region. Then rgb mod it.

you are a pro when it comes to modding, so the rgb and switch mod should not phase you.

that set up is the king for nec. You will have access to everything with one solid reliable machine.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
You want a PC Engine Duo-R with region switch. It is higher quality than the regular Duos, which are plagued by cheap capacitors that were leaking out of the factory.

And you definitely want CD capability, some of the best games are CD.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I've personally had no problems with my PCE Duo, but if I could do it again, I would go with the Duo-R.

Since there are more modchips readily available now for NEC region mods, and your skill set, any and all mods should be no sweat for you, albeit time consuming.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm aware of the RGB mods for the systems as I've done them before, the RGB comment was more towards if some consoles aren't able to output RGB with a simple mod like certain N64s before Tim's new PCB.

So basically I can get one of those white or gray PC Engine/Core systems and just region mod either one and play any hucard? Which is better the White or the Gray?

Thanks everyone for your input.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Want the best NEC console? Just go for a early revision AES... /thread (j/k)

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi XX,

So basically I can get one of those white or gray PC Engine/Core systems and just region mod either one and play any hucard? Which is better the White or the Gray?

Yes

I prefer grey, white sometimes is yellow and you need to bleach it.

Un saludo y Feliz Navidad!!

Last edited:

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
I'm aware of the RGB mods for the systems as I've done them before, the RGB comment was more towards if some consoles aren't able to output RGB with a simple mod like certain N64s before Tim's new PCB.

All of the NEC consoles output RGB. Merry Christmas!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The only difference between the white and gray systems is the video output. The white outputs rf and the grays have a 5 pin din connector. On the white you would need to remove the rf modulator and stick a mini din in there for rgb. That's slightly more difficult than just swapping the din out on the grays but either should be child's play for you.

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Don't do the region mod, just get a turbo everdrive.

PC Engine or core grafx or core grafx 2, and an everdrive and you're done. The core grafx 1&2 are slightly easier to mod for rgb, but you won't have trouble with the pce either.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
PCE outputs rgb natively through the expansion connector.

The signals still need to be amplified to be usable, though. Thus generically referring to this as the "RGB mod".

Thanks everyone for your input.

I'm OG, so I'd say go with the white, RF only PC Engine, remove the RF modulator, and mod it from there. Connector wise, though, it might be easier to mod a Core so you can use already available cables out there, not to mention that you don't have to worry about it yellowing on you (being in HI and how some of my consoles yellowed living on Maui).

Don't do the region mod, just get a turbo everdrive.

PC Engine or core grafx or core grafx 2, and an everdrive and you're done. The core grafx 1&2 are slightly easier to mod for rgb, but you won't have trouble with the pce either.

Seconded on the Turbo Everdrive, unless you wanna just play original HuCards.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
If you don't have CD capability, you'll miss out on Lords of Thunder!

OBEY

HarrySkyrimPCE1_zpse6219806.png

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So looks like I will be getting a Grey Core Grafx system and an Everdrive. What is the going rate for a Core Grafx with PSU and controller and also how much do the everdrives go for?

Thanks a bunch guys.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
You should really reconsider your choice bro. If you really like the Coregrafx design that much, I'd say get the cd-rom attachment at least. Some CD games are really, really good.

Coregrafx systems can be found anywhere from $50 to $80 depending on where you're looking. Everdrive are currently $89 on retrogate. You might want to wait for/organise a groub buy though, you can get it for as low as $60 if you do.

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
just a heads up XX, I have a region swtich in my core grafx, and kidpanda's everdrive did not work with it. I heard there is an issue with those and the switch modded systems :(

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Like Eddie said, if you're getting an everydrive, you don't need to region mod your system.