About to get a NEC console but confused...

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Get this :mr_t::
94e27095-17d6-491e-a517-7a38785e3181_zps9572a631.jpg

Not this :loco::
97f68ec3-97d7-461b-994c-4f5f644565e8_zps2ea95ffe.jpg

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I personally like the Super Grafx version I know some think it's ugly, but the design reminds me of alien tech, which would pair well with my one favourite game on that system -- Alien Crush!

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
There's a seller on the PCEngineFX forum that sells reconditioned briefcase systems (retrobrited, recapped, new gears and lasers) for a reasonable price. I've had one for around a year and it's great. The Duo is awesome, but I just love the aesthetic of the original briefcase set up.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What's the difference between a Super Grafx and a Core Grafx?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Super Grafx is upgraded a bit, but it is a failed system with only 5 games. It's really for collectors only.

It still plays regular hucards though.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Does the Turbo Everdrive have problems on systems with region switch?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Some people have had issues, although Pasky may have figured out the solution by installing a bigass power cap.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I've done my region mod with the 2 ICs (4551) for both my TG16 and PCE Duo. I've been taking power for the IC's themselves directly from the 7805 input pin (~10v) instead of the nearby cap or pin that most tutorials call for (5V). I've never had a problem with my TED on it. KRIKzz is adamant that the region mod screws with the TED, though.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
So it's a power supply issue to the flash card. I didn't consider that before having the region switch installed on my Duo-R.

I have a stock TG-16, so I'm covered when I get a Turbo Everdrive and it has issues on the Duo-R.

TeamShake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I thought the Everdrive region switch issue was with some that use wires that are too long. Not sure if it affects just mods that use an 8pdt switch or ones that use ics for switching too.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
So it's a power supply issue to the flash card. I didn't consider that before having the region switch installed on my Duo-R.

Flashcards a fickle when it comes to power consumption. Most region mods tell you to take 5V near the cartridge slot. It'll work fine for original HuCards, but with flashcards, any interruption of power (power drop caused by the 5V taken from around/at the HuCard slot or the length of wire for the 8PDT switch) will cause the flash card to not work.

Depending on what mod chip is installed in the Duo-R, you could just get power directly from the 7805; if it's the 4551 IC, more voltage won't hurt it (4551s can take up to 18v) so you can use the input left, the main IC on the "Obey" chip max voltage is 7V, so get power from the right leg. If it's the 8PDT, just remove it.

...just my observation regarding Everdrives and region mods.

THAT BEING SAID, Sifu, if you're not gonna worry about getting original HuCards, then you won't need to region mod it. Done.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
James, like many mentioned, get the the Duo-R and Turbo Ed and your set. Iso's and the romz are your best friends :smirk: .

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I checked with Keith Courage at pcenginefx.com

your system will work just fine with a turbo ever drive. I use an 8PDT switch for it. this method is compatible with the turbo ever drive in both a us turbo grafx system and a duo-r.

for other systems I use a curcuit based region mod in order for the turbo everdrive to work

So you can buy modded systems from him and they will all work with Turbo Everdrive.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
I've installed the "Obey" region mod chip on three of my systems: PCE Duo, Turbo Grafx and Turbo Express. Power was connected to the 5v on the Hucard slot. I haven't had any issues with the systems working with the Everdrive.

There were a couple of people on PCEFX that had issues with an Everdrive and a region modded original white PC Engine. Not sure if white PCE is more problematic when region modded and using an Everdrive.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
James, like many mentioned, get the the Duo-R and Turbo Ed and your set. Iso's and the romz are your best friends :smirk: .

Wait, so the everdrive can run the isos? That's bad ass if that's true.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
I'd get the Duo-R hands down. Or even a Duo-RX if you come by a decently priced one, I think its the same unit as the Duo-R but with a 6 button pad (similar to the PCFX's one)

I own a jap Cofre Grafx + CD-Rom2, a Turbo Duo and a Duo-R and the Duo-R is the only one which still has a perfectly working CD unit today.