I'm on my way to becoming a real hot dog!

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I've been a member for a few days now, but I just noticed I have the ability to post threads now. I must have passed the initial trial period.

I used to lurk here regularly and I could have sworn I made an account years ago. I always loved Neo Geo but I felt like as a collectable it was generally out of my reach.

After doing a little research, I think a modest AES collection is achievable. My preference would be a nice red cab MVS, but it's not realistic given my situation. Is there a pass through MVS to AES converter?

It's interesting having registered here, despite being a brand new member, I saw the threads discussing the marketplace and the leechers who seek to raid the community. I actually saw the "honey pot" thread while browsing the "New Posts" since I want to get an idea of what reasonable community prices would be. And then I saw the feedback thread on what was going on. It's astonishing to me that anyone would so easily get busted when everything has been discussed out in the open and easily findable through the New Posts function.

I have to say I'm glad to see this community is taking measures to protect itself from turning into a mere marketplace. The current collector mindset across many systems is turning into a cycle of professional resellers and yuppy instant collectors who don't even play games, treating classic systems and games like a new type of Pokemon. I hate it.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Get yoursef a consolized MVS from Xian Xi if you don't have the room for a cab.

Starting an AES colllection in 2014 isn't the best idea you know. So many counterfeits and retarded prices, I'd say stay away from the whole thing.

Also, do you really want to be an AESHOLE?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Get yoursef a consolized MVS from Xian Xi if you don't have the room for a cab.

Starting an AES colllection in 2014 isn't the best idea you know. So many counterfeits and retarded prices, I'd say stay away from the whole thing.

Also, do you really want to be an AESHOLE?

agreed, the scene has too much murky water lately. A cmvs is best, but if you need a converter there are a few. That being said none have yet to provide 100% comparability and are iffy in quality at best.

Welcome to the fold, glad you did some essential reading prior to your post.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Are bootleg AES carts a problem for every title? I figured they were a problem for really expensive games like Metal Slug.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd say anything over $100 is suspect. Why someone would go through the trouble of bootlegging a $200 cart is beyond me, but it happens.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. Since you're just starting out, save yourself some headaches (and cash) and go the MVS route as mentioned above.

Hey Gentlegamer I recognize your name from a few other places. You the same guy? I just started posting here as well. I'm going to be trying to make a CMVS soon so I thought I should come to the NEO GEO Mecca and start posting.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Hey Gentlegamer I recognize your name from a few other places. You the same guy? I just started posting here as well. I'm going to be trying to make a CMVS soon so I thought I should come to the NEO GEO Mecca and start posting.

You may have seen me at Pcenginefx, Sega-16, Nintendo Age, Atari Age, and Digital Press. As well as the videogamecritic.com forums.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Welcome man. I'm going to also suggest getting a CMVS to start out.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
as everyone else has said. message Xian Xi, have him build you a cmvs, and be done with it. i own one from him, its solid as a rock, reasonably priced, and the video output is beautiful right out of the box, where as with an AES (ive owned a few) you're gonna need to have it modded to output decent video. then youre gonna want a unibios for it which is another mod, then an mvs to aes converter which is another problematic finicky pain in the ass. etc. etc.
save the headache, listen to what the other experienced members are offering. welcome to the forum :)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Welcome 2 d frmz.

... I would go a slight different path ... and buy a supergun ... surely from Xian Xi ;)