Turbogfx's Game Room & Collection

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
Hi everyone,

I've been involved with video games ever since I played Tetris on my DMG-001 or played Star Goose and Snarf on my dad's IBM PC in the late 80's.

Upon purchasing my first home with my lovely girlfriend, one of my goals was to have a game room to store my favorite video games that I collected throughout the years.

IMG_20141220_143215%7E2.jpg

I've been involved in "retro gaming" for about 5 to 6 years now, and I have a lot of love for the Vectrex and the Castlevania series.

IMG_20141220_143023%7E2.jpg

IMG_20141220_142938%7E2.jpg

About a year ago, I picked up a Neo Geo CDZ with a couple of games, and most recently, I've been transitioning my Neo Geo CD collection towards a modest MVS collection.

IMG_20141220_143112%7E2.jpg

Edit: I'm also a big fan of the Neo Geo Pocket Color. This is what my collection looks like:
IMG_20141221_133527%7E2.jpg

As you might have noticed by the look of my collection, I'm not necessarily a "collector" at heart, I'm more of a gamer.

So there you have it. I came for the games, and I'll stay for teh drama.

Nice meeting you all and thanks to all of you for keeping this forum alive and kicking.

Cheers,

Turbogfx

Last edited:

kof1996

n00b
Wow. Very impressive castlevania collection. And you have a great selection in MVS carts. What do you play your MVS carts on?

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
It's great to see some Vectrex love in here and good to see the previous home from my Sengoku 2 and TSS cd's.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Nice collection. Very good Quality/Quantity ratio from what I can see.

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
Wow. Very impressive castlevania collection. And you have a great selection in MVS carts. What do you play your MVS carts on?

CMVS slim, but still awaiting for it to arrive. Still have my CDZ to quench my Neo Geo thirst though.

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
It's great to see some Vectrex love in here and good to see the previous home from my Sengoku 2 and TSS cd's.

I got my Vectrex from a guy who sold it to me for 20 EURO cause he thought it was broken. Turned out it wasn't!

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Very nice love how everything is neatly organized. Def. got some gems in that collection thanks for sharing.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
very nice collection man! love how all your vectrex games are cib. Those boxes look nice!

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Sweet looking collection. Always wanted a vectrex since I played one in a pawnshop as a kid. Just never had a good deal pop up in front of me.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Excellent Castlevania collection!

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Very nice collection! I had a few of those arcade board games growing up. Wish I still had them/took better care of my things at that age. :(

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
Sure thing man. Let me know when your package arrives safely and make sure to leave me some feedback.

Very good Quality/Quantity ratio from what I can see.
Yeah I've tried to compile my MVS collection based on my experiences with the NGCD, and then added a few more games which I was still missing in my CD collection or that were MVS-exclusives. (i.e. Blazing Star)

very nice collection man! love how all your vectrex games are cib.
Thanks! Those are actually all the Vectrex games that have been commercially released in Europe. About 3 years ago Vectrex used to go at $25-$40 max CIB in good condition out here, but right now it seems that prices have exploded, sadly..

Always wanted a vectrex since I played one in a pawnshop as a kid. Just never had a good deal pop up in front of me.
Yes there quite pricey right now. For me, the right price for a loose Vectrex in good working condition should be around $85. You should be looking at $ 120 for a boxed one. Not sure if that's realistic in today's market. When you do decide to pick up a Vectrex, make sure it comes with the original Minestorm overlay (that's the built-in game), as these things tend to go for $50 these days on eBay (for a piece of translucent plastic, mind you!). Also make sure the controller joystick self-centers. That's one of the most common flaws of this console.
If you ever do pick up one, I highly recommend the following games:
- Armor...Attack
- Berzerk
- Scramble
- Solar Quest
- Space Wars
- Star Castle (US exclusive)
- Protector/YASI (amazing homebrew port of Defender and Space Invaders on the Vectrex)

Excellent Castlevania collection!
Thank you, I do play all of them, and have beaten quite a lot of them over the years. The hardest one I played so far is the PSX port of Akumajo Dracula on the Sharp X68000. I encountered the original version CIB once and I let it slip. Still regret it to this day because the box art looks phenomenal IMO.
Akumajo_Dracula_X68000_X68000_A.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I got my Vectrex from a guy who sold it to me for 20 EURO cause he thought it was broken. Turned out it wasn't!

That's a great deal you made! I had a Vectrex from Holland (because i live close to the border) and it included the original Minestorm overlay and overlays of 7 other games with 3 games (cart only) for 70 euros. A few years ago you could easily find good Vectrex deals in Holland because it used to be a very popular console over there in the 80s, but now the days of good deals are over.

I saw it coming and bought me another Vectrex with some games for 65 euros. Now i'm trying to have them mate with each other and have some offspring but it doesn't go that easily. Even when i put them alone in the room with the lights off they just sit there... I think i got scammed and bought 2 females.

I even had a small wedding ceremony in front of the Atari 2600, but to no avail:

9stjfb.jpg

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
Haha that's awesome man. I have 2 broken Vectrexes next to my working Vectrex. I'm looking into fixing them sometime.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
IMO Starquest is way overrated. HeroQuest is a game I still play regularly with friends. It's great fun.

My friends and I used to play HeroQuest quite often. It is a fun game, just maybe a little too time consuming for regular play at this point in our lives. I miss the simpler times of my youth.

Nice looking game room, by the way. I'm just about done with my game room (after moving into my first home 3 years ago). Lots of shelving is definitely key. Your organization looks great.

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
You should be able to complete a single HQ quest with a party of 4 heroes in about 1 hour and 30 mins if everyone knows the rules well enough. We're actually close to completing the main questbook after about 1,5 years of play :-)

I totally feel you about setting up that game room. Took me about 4 years to get to it as well. Gotta setyour priorities when you're renovating your home. Doesn't matter though, that room's not going anywhere. You should take your time and furnish it just the way you imagined it in your head.

I still have some shelves to fill as you can see. I still have a couple of board games (like my HeroQuest expansions ;-) ), so that won't be a problem.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I dig the way you arranged your shelves.
Great stuff in there. :)
Chapeau!

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member