Hello! Complete neo-geo newbie.

Hey everybody. I played some Neo-Geo Arcades back in the day and remember the AES coming out but I never had one.

I just picked up a MV1B off ebay for pretty cheap. The listing said it worked but without sound. So I'm going to try my hand at fixing it up and consolizing it. I've been wanting a CMVS for a while and figured now was the time.

Well the forum description says "get a few n00b questions out of the way" so here goes.

Does a CMVS really need 3 amps?
What kind of PS is suggested?
I was thinking about picking up a multicart so I would have some decent games to play while slowly buying official carts. Somone on another forum said that multicarts use 3.3v logic and can be bad for an MVS? That seemed a little off to me wouldn't it be the other way around with the MVS being bad for the multicart? But surely if designed well it should be a non issue right?

Well that's it for the n00b questions I guess. I picked up KoF96 as well. I remember liking that one in the arcades. At least I'm pretty sure it was 96.

I originally came across this forum because of the messy mod work thread. For some reason though after registering I couldn't view the thread. That seems to have fixed itself just recently though.

Well that's all for now.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
I would suggest a multicart for game testing and finding what you like. Its the first purchase i made when i just recently bought a 2 slot. I would do some research on your 1 slot though first as i have heard some rumblings of issues with the multicarts and certain 1 slot models. Hopefully someone more experienced with the different models and carts responds to you but in the meantime it never hurts to read up about it. good luck!

kotter

n00b
I picked up an MV1B myself for my first neo-geo/cmvs project and it was really fun and easy to get into.
The manual states 5+3A / 12+1A and I'm running mine on a single 5+3A psu after doing the 5V mod to it.
I don't know what would happen if you lower the amps but my guess would be that some components might get unstable and not run properly, I'm sure there is some leverage though.

good luck :)

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Does a CMVS really need 3 amps?

Welcome.

It really just depends on the board.
3Amps PSU will be cool on a MV1B. It won't on a MV1FZ tho.
It comes down to the specific board power rating.

But in short, for that board, 3A will sing fine.