What joystick grip do you use?

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I figured with all those fighting games I play now I should alter my grip, as with the current one (just the first way of holding it that came to my mind) I can hardly pull of things like dashes and stuff.

I watched some YouTube Videos on that Topic but couldn't decide yet. (the only Thing I know is I don't want to use the "fist hold" aka "grip of doom")

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Wow, I'm going to try and answer this without mentioning masturbation. I must be growing up.

I try and take a light fingertips only grip on the ball top as it gives the best 360 control. I'm the first to admit though that this usually goes to shit at the first sign of things getting difficult, I'll be back at the "grip of doom" by the end of a difficult round plenty of times, especially when it's a one hit, any hit will do situation.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
This is going to get weird.

Left hand resting the CP with the Shaft between ring and middle finger. Index finger and middle finger wrapped around the ball top and thumb over the top.

I don't know what you call the grip.... I essentially turn my fist into a vagina. Pussy Fisted (Trademark )

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I do a combination of the natural grip and the split finger grip (aka pussy fisted grip). This usually gives me the most versatility between game genres. I guess it all depends on what kind of sticks you're using, american or Japanese. It's a lot harder to pussy fist an American stick...yeah, I just said that.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Whatever feels natural. It's far more likely that you can't dash because you're inexperienced than because your grip is wrong. It's much easier to focus on one thing at a time.

I have thumb, index, and middle finger on top of the ball. I basically take a normal battop grip and rotate my wrist slightly.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've never really even considered the grip. I just grab it.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
That video is hilarious! Kernow made a great picture guide parodying it probably before it ever existed.

Dashing? Dash right; double booty spank. Dash left, just thumb it.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
This thread is gonna make me take a pic of me gripping my stick. :keke:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Jap sticks, wineglass works best for me.

I use an "eagle "/ "monkey" hybrid for bat top.

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
rRIdQ.jpg

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
The 'eagle' but the rest of my fingers above the stick instead of below it. I really should try some others but they feel so unnatural.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
I rest my pinky and ring fingers on the CP and grip the bat top with the index and middle fingers. That feels the most natural to me, but I'll have to experiment with the other grips a bit.

You should just continue to play while trying different ways of holding it as you go. Eventually you will find what is comfortable. No two people will use the controls the same way so find your way simply by putting a bunch of hours into it until it feels right.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Palm facing right, not down or up but in between wine glass style. I put the shaft between my ring and middle finger, then thumb on top.