PC Engine GT problems

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi guys,

I've a working PC Engine GT and after the usual capacitors change it doesn't work, I've plugged it and work for one second after that it has not worked any more, any ideas?

Thank you very much in advance

Un saludo

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
What do you mean by not work? It won't power on? Check continuity across the fuse right below the switch.

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
I assume that you got the polarity of all capacitors right and that you didn't bridge anything?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, check and double check all caps and polarity, and soldering. If all else fails, redo the cap job. I did a Game Gear a few months ago that wouldn't power on after I did a cap job, it turned out the new caps in the power board were bad.

*edit* Now that I think about it, my Game Gear did EXACTLY what your GT is doing. Would power up for one second, then die. I put the old power caps in and it turned right on.

Last edited:

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thank you guys for the ideas and suggestions.
I checked the capacitors polarity once replaced them and detected the problem, the second thing checked was the fuse. It was my second pc engine gt, 3 days ago I replaced the capacitors suscessfully to another, but Gohan has reason. I will redo the job with another capacitors kit, but this time I will put standar capacitors instead of smd.

Un saludo

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If I'm right (and there's no guarantee I am) I'd probably just try the power caps first. If the audio/video caps are bad the unit would still power up.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi guys,

Capacitors changed and the problem persists. It's time to take the logic probe.

Saludos

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Bumping old thread, sorry.

Ok stupid question but I have to ask it.

You did check both ends of the fuse, right?

I've blown a few fuses while I've worked on expresses, gt's, those are the only instances where I didn't get any power to the system.

Also make sure nothing got bridged, I've done that a couple of times but I always got power with those 2 instances.