Sony cancels December 25th premiere of 'The Interview' after terror threat

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Still waiting for this to turn into the most balls out PR stunt ever

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Can someone clear this up for me? Is just the Xmas premier cancelled? Or are they not going to show the movie at all evar?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Can someone clear this up for me? Is just the Xmas premier cancelled? Or are they not going to show the movie at all evar?

not at all ever is the announcement. supposedly not even vod or dvd/blu ray.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
not at all ever is the announcement. supposedly not even vod or dvd/blu ray.
The only way to save face is to either put it on VOD or hell just give it away for free just to say fuck you to North Korea.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
hopefully James Franco or Seth Rogan will be all "f this! i'm putting it on a torrent site!"

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If North Korean hackers threatens Sony to stop releasing PS5 a few years down the line, they might actually start making people to take them seriously.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Finding out that North Korea has modern computers would be a great twist. They don't seem capable of it.

This is the thing that gets me most, is that North Korean hackers are good enough to hack into a major film studio's...whatever they hacked into.

I mean, who knows if the GOP is North Korean anyway? North Korea has some allies.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It got me wondering if I was effected as I used to work for SOE.

We won't know about that until all the data is released, unfortunately. There are some indications that Sony was only keeping data that was required by law, as in within the 7 year period. Of course, they seem to have emails from before that, but that is handled differently. I last worked with Sony 10 years ago, so I am hoping that I will be fine... Then again, my Sonystyle account still exists from back then, even though it can no longer be accessed! I ran into this when registering for PSN... so there must be some crossover between PSN and Sonystyle...

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
If the NK didn't make such a big stink over this this movie would have come and gone in 2 weeks. Now Sony has done this and given them a huge morale boost and set a dangerous precedent for anything NK doesn't agree with in the future, or any terrorist group for that matter.

This is an epic fail for Sony, and I don't believe safety concerns had anything to do with them canceling the movie, they must have some company killing secret they didn't want revealed over this.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
By my understanding it wasn't Sony that made the "real" decision to pull the plug...it was the movie theaters. Enough refused to run the film that basically, Sony had no choice but to pull the plug.

If they release it digitally, they will make their $$ back and then some. There is enough hype around this film now that millions will watch it simply because of what it is...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
George Clooney is the only one in Hollywood with any balls. Whodathunkit?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

You're confusing "having-balls" with "loud-mouthed-cunt-who-doesn't-do-anything-outside-of-being-a-loud-mouthed-cunt"...don't feel bad, many people do it...

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
He does make some interesting points though and is correct about America is displaying that a foreign entity can bend our will with simple threats now. With the movie theaters being afraid of civil lawsuits if someone is injured while watching the movie and pulling it from some ridiculous threats.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
He does make some interesting points though and is correct about America is displaying that a foreign entity can bend our will with simple threats now. With the movie theaters being afraid of civil lawsuits if someone is injured while watching the movie and pulling it from some ridiculous threats.

The problem is...this is step 2 or 3 out of 10. This neutering of the US is only going to get worse. Not that I think he was the superhero so many make him out to be...but imagine if something like this would have happened under Reagan's or Bush Sr.s watch...yeah...it wouldn't have been tolerated.

Clinton was a pussy and his administration would have addressed problems like this just like the current issue..."ignore button, pussy button"
Bush Jr would come up with some oversight committee to smash more civil rights in the name of protection from shit like this
Obama is a political train wreck who has no place being president. His foreign policy has been stupid and reckless...he and his admin are absolutely zero help...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Courageous for what? He's late to the party. Rob Lowe already beat him to the punch. Judd Apatow already railed on everyone in the system about this.

Clooney is irrelevant. Completely irrelevant.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Those people weren't posted in this thread. This forum is my only link to current events; if it's not posted here it's irrelevant and didn't happen.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Those people weren't posted in this thread. This forum is my only link to current events; if it's not posted here it's irrelevant and didn't happen.

I hate to say it...but QFT.

I don't read "current events" anymore...I'm on a couple of different forums and let events trickle through the bullshit filters first. People will do the homework for me and often, I don't have to sort through layers of internet horse shit to get to the good stuff.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
If the NK didn't make such a big stink over this this movie would have come and gone in 2 weeks. Now Sony has done this and given them a huge morale boost and set a dangerous precedent for anything NK doesn't agree with in the future, or any terrorist group for that matter.

This is an epic fail for Sony, and I don't believe safety concerns had anything to do with them canceling the movie, they must have some company killing secret they didn't want revealed over this.

I had no interest in seeing the movie before, but now I feel like it's my duty as an American to watch it. If North Korea doesn't want me to watch something, I'm going to fucking see it sooner or later to spite them.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ok you two can go ahead and champion your individual ignorances.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Ignorance continued:

I wonder if there were concerns being voiced in Japan that NK would do another test launch of a Taepodong missile in retaliation over Sony releasing this movie.

is there any past instance of a Hollywood film being kabashed by an organization of any kind? Chaplin's The Great Dictator got a US release and was well received.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
If the future of terrorism is shit films being canned then it's not all bad.

Also, corporations routinely bow to terrorist groups all over the world, it's only governments that have genuine no ransom pay rules for instance. Even then back room deals are done I'm sure.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
is there any past instance of a Hollywood film being kabashed by an organization of any kind? Chaplin's The Great Dictator got a US release and was well received.

I remember hearing of countries threatening to sue over a movie, but usually it gets settled or changed like World War Z making India the host country instead of China. The lawsuit I heard the most of recent was Iran over Argo, but apparently Hollywood didn't care. I would think it's easier to toss away a low budget movie or tv show then anything big anymore. How many companies say sure I'll eat 50 million.