Life Is Strange - New Game From S-E and DONTNOD (Remember Me)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
This looks like it could be pretty cool. Definitely new territory for a video game in terms of narrative focus and environment.

Last edited:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Might be interesting... I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Since it's going to be an episodic released game, it would be cool to see S-E release episode one for free (doubtful) like Telltale Games has done before. But as long as each episode is at the right price point ($5-$10), people will bite.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Looks cool. I don't particularly playing things episodically (i.e. play a piece, wait for the next piece). Got screwed over with Wolf Among Us with the unexpectidly long wait times between episodes. Will happily wait for it all to be out and check out reviews then.

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
This does look interesting. I really got the 'Gone Home' vibe from it maybe even a little 'Alan Wake' with the tornado / lighthouse clip at the end.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
BUMP since the first episode came out a week or so ago.

Took me a while to get into it, but once you get feel of rewinding time it gets much better.

Liked it a lot overall. Really good start on the characters and the story (at the very end it picks up a lot), only drawback is that some of the dialogue is way, way off (I counted at least three or four "hellas" for example). Takes you out a little bit, but still really good first episode overall.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'll just watch it on Youtube....
..don't know why people complain about Nintendo and Sega taking down videos......

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Anyone still on board through Ep. 4?

I'm at the end of Ep. 4 right now, will finish it tonight, and this episode is a good representation of my thoughts on the game as a whole- some really good parts, some really bad parts, some terrible dialogue, and some seriously wasted potential.

The story is really really dark, at this point. Seeing the resolution of it in the next episode should be pretty decent. But damn, the actual gameplay has gotten utterly boring and detrimental to the game as a whole.

Overall I wouldn't give it a recommendation, considering that I don't think it's worth the 10-12 hours the full five episodes will end up taking.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I still want to play it. I've watched Jacksepticeye's long plays. It looks really neat and the fact that there are so many outcomes means that watching someone else play it won't kill the experience for me.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
SPOILERS IN THIS POST

But damn, the actual gameplay has gotten utterly boring and detrimental to the game as a whole.

I think the gameplay itself is fine, but I wish it would do more to use it to its advantage to make it a unique experience. I think I only used the "rewind time after you push something out of the way to get past it" technique once in chapter 4. In fact, I forgot that was something you could do, so it took me a long time to figure out how to get around accidentally pushing the speaker into the pool.

Anyway, yeah, the game got really, really dark in the 4th episode. At least in my game, Mr. Jefferson appearing at the Vortex Club party, especially in the VIP area, was super mega skeevy. The game really did a good job at making me feel uncomfortable, and not just at that part. This isn't a game for babies.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
HEY the fifth episode came out and the game ended... strangely.

Overall, the ending wasn't very good. There are two primary directions that the story can take at the very end, and one is incredibly unsatisfying.

Spoiler:
Your two options are to either a) sacrifice Chloe in order to make EVERYTHING that happened in the story lose its effect, or b) sacrifice all of Arcadia Bay in order to live with chaos but still save Chloe. The first option is a really terrible choice, both for the narrative and for the player's sense of huh, that makes everything pointless.

And the actual gameplay in ep. 5 was garbage. There were multiple parts that really can't do anything other than annoy the player (one of the worst stealth sections I can remember playing, for instance, or an also pointless trip through a never-ending version of the dorm, or another section that won't allow you to use the proper item to solve the problem until you've failed a certain number of times at doing something else).

Yet, after all of that, I still feel like the game was worth playing, overall. It felt... unique.

Granted, the final episode of Tales From the Borderlands was utterly stellar (the series as a whole was great), but LIS still is oddly compelling.

Curious what other people thought of it.

edit: okay, I can see how the spoiler-mentioned first ending actually works alright.

Last edited: