Best Game Music of 2014

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
No Smash Bros? Not even a mention? Even with Brawl, I didn't care for the changes but the soundtrack was still a who's who of amazing music.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
lol shittaku

shit list by a shit website

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
From that list, the only answer is Bravely Default. Then Transistor. Nothing else on that list even comes close in terms of 'best of 2014' in music.

And maybe I missed it but where is Child of Light, which arguably has a better OST than Bravely Default?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
dont mind me i',mma jsut neckbeard a question right here, but does videogame music still exist, or is it all just 'real' music, with instruments and orchestras and shit.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
dont mind me i',mma jsut neckbeard a question right here, but does videogame music still exist, or is it all just 'real' music, with instruments and orchestras and shit.

If you're talking about chiptune style music, you only hear it in retro games anymore.

But 'real music' that is written specifically for video games is still video game music.

The tools have changed, but the idea of writing music for a video game has not.

So yes, what you call 'real music' is still considered video game music because that's the current standard.

Where I take issue is when games like Grand Theft Auto get 'soundtrack of the year' awards when all they do is take existing music and apply it to video game. That music wasn't an original composition meant to be used in a video game.

And yes, I'm aware that movies use existing music and those compilations are called 'soundtracks' but I don't see that as the same thing.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I don't know what that site listed (I didn't look) but I thought Mario Kart 8 had the best soundtrack by far followed by Bayonetta 2

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I've listened to more game music than played games over the past several years. I enjoy that a game can inspire music that is a little more absurd than what you hear in the world around you. Sometimes it's absurd like Katamari Damashii, which is fun and exciting. Sometimes it's absurd like NieR, which is full of a beautiful made up language. Perhaps that's game music.