Odd PS1 controller port behavior.

Ragnorok64

n00b
I have a Japanese PS1 that has inexplicably started doing something weird. If I plug in a controller and memory card at the same time the controller stops responding. It acts as if no controller is even plugged in when I insert a memory card ( the little arrow in the PS1 start up menu disappears).

I thought it was an issue with the part that contains the controller ports and memory card slots so I completely replaced it with the same part from a junk PS1 I keep around for scrap. I still had the same issue. I tried Googling the issue but didn't come up with anything. Is this a known PS1 issue to any of you?

Ragnorok64

n00b
Well I did some testing, just in the main PS1 menu, and it very well does seem to be an memory card issue. It's weird though. I have 3 memory cards; 2 Sony brand and one generic that I've had since the 90s. The two Sony memory cards cause the controller disappearing issue but he generic one does not, when plugged in. None of them give my NA PS1 any issue what so ever. is there any rhyme or reason to that kind of behavior?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Well I did some testing, just in the main PS1 menu, and it very well does seem to be an memory card issue. It's weird though. I have 3 memory cards; 2 Sony brand and one generic that I've had since the 90s. The two Sony memory cards cause the controller disappearing issue but he generic one does not, when plugged in. None of them give my NA PS1 any issue what so ever. is there any rhyme or reason to that kind of behavior?

I have the exact same issue with my ps1. It also happens only with my original memcard, the two generic ones work fine. I noticed that if I disable the chip that enables the ps1 to read copied cds, the memcard works perfectly. I think it's some weird copy protection mechanism or something.

Regards

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Maybe a capacitor is failing and the official cards pull too much amperage?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I think I had this problem even with a PS2. Resetting the console solved the problem. Thankfully it doesn't happen all the time.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Maybe a capacitor is failing and the official cards pull too much amperage?

I had a PS1 that had this problem. Didn't even think about a failing cap. Albeit I don't really know shit about electronics but that's good to know,

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've had good luck with the Performance 1X cards. NEVER but anything but 1X cards, the bigger cards are all garbage.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I use the Performance 2x (press a button to switch between the two cards) and Joytech card with no problems. Pelican cards are junk though.

Ragnorok64

n00b
So I hunted down a Performance memory card. Same issue. I also just tested with a dual shock and the issue happened even without any memory card in, on the PS1 boot up screen. Definitely seems to be some sort or power issue or something. The PS1 worked last time I'd used it, back in summer I believe.

Someone mentioned that possibly it's a bad capacitor or something. Any idea what/where such a component would be on the board? If so, how would it even be replaced?