CPS3 Compatible CD Drives

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Question, Is there anything special about CPS3 CD drives? Or some sort of requirements CD drives have to have in order to work with a CPS3?

I'm wondering if it's possible to use a smaller more modern CD drive with mine.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
For example, I know the CPS3 uses SCSI drives, but is there anything like acceptable read speed that would limit compatibility? Or could I use something like this right here?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Haven't searched anything about that, but if you want a SCSI CD-Rom drive I still have the best unit ever made :
The Plextor UltraPlex40. NOTHING beats that CD-Rom drive on its own category.

If it suits your needs, hit me a line. I'm open to trades ;)

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm not super well versed on this kind of hardware, what sets the Plextor apart? Please enumerate the attributes of its ascendancy. Elucidate to me its eminence if you will.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Well, it was meant to be the Highest performance CD-Rom for PC's when DVD's weren't popular yet.
Average CD-rom cost was around 30 bucks ( IDE ) while this SCSI beast was a bit over 100 and you still had to
get a SCSI controller card to make use of it.

It's the fastest DAE drive ever for a CD-Rom, has high reliability, it has the highest buffer known on any CD-Rom and never reads under 17x while trasfering data to PCs.
It is really that fast.

Every single review places it at the top. The only issue they complained was the price.

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Haha sounds pretty boss. Like the type of thing that will still be fully working in someones collection decades from now.

Mostly I'm just looking for a drive that's compatible but is much smaller and lighter than the original CPS3 drives, in order to make things a little easier swapping the board in and out of my cab. I grabbed a slimline HP SCSI drive for a few bucks just to test it out, but all of the 50 pin adapters I've seen for the port it has (a 68 pin high density centronics) are just for the main SCSI cable itself, and do not include the 4 pin molex for power.

I doubt the SCSI port on the CPS3 supplies power, so I'm doing a bit of research now to see if there's a simple way to get it to work.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
If it's consuming +12v and/or +5v you can grab that from the jamma harness or PSU directly to a 4pin molex connector ;)