To buy a Xbox 360 just for the shoot'em ups, what do you think?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Opethian is currently selling JPN Xbox 360 shooters. Good price to get if anyone interests.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i have Akai Katana Shin and dodonpachi for the 360.didn't really like Akai Katana Shin.to modern for me, thought it plays more like the later dreamcast shooters.i'm more of a saturn,megadrive/genesis era of shooter person.and still haven't opened dodonpachi for the same reson. it's still sealed.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I just started thinking about this recently, as I've seen how many great SHMUPs came out on the 360. Anyone have recommendations for sticks to use? It seems like there are lots of second hand sticks floating around craigslist these days, after SF4 got so popular.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
i have Akai Katana Shin and dodonpachi for the 360.didn't really like Akai Katana Shin.to modern for me, thought it plays more like the later dreamcast shooters.i'm more of a saturn,megadrive/genesis era of shooter person.and still haven't opened dodonpachi for the same reson. it's still sealed.

Akai Katana Shin isn't really that great IMO. Give DDP a try.

I just started thinking about this recently, as I've seen how many great SHMUPs came out on the 360. Anyone have recommendations for sticks to use? It seems like there are lots of second hand sticks floating around craigslist these days, after SF4 got so popular.

Well, that depends on your budget. Seimistu is god tier for shooters, a HRAP EX SE is the perfect stick, but commands a high price. I'm not keen on using Sanwa sticks with shooters since they have a big throw and are loose and sloppy, but if you swap some parts on the stick it can work well. Namely, get a stiffer spring and the oversized actuator.

That being said, I just use my Saturn pad for most shooters these days using a converter.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Well, that depends on your budget. Seimistu is god tier for shooters, a HRAP EX SE is the perfect stick, but commands a high price. I'm not keen on using Sanwa sticks with shooters since they have a big throw and are loose and sloppy, but if you swap some parts on the stick it can work well. Namely, get a stiffer spring and the oversized actuator.

That being said, I just use my Saturn pad for most shooters these days using a converter.

Thanks for the tips, GohanX. The HRAP looks awesome, I'm going to keep an eye out for one around here.

Are you using the Saturn Virtua stick? What kind of converter are you rigging that setup with?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No, the Saturn pad. I have a few different converters I've made to be able to use it on everything. For the 360 I have a Cthulhu box that I use to convert Saturn to PS2, the a little external converter that is ps2 to 360. Works great.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I too missed out on the Cave Collection the first time around. I noticed however that Solaris Japan is selling these new again:

http://solarisjapan.com/products/cave-shooting-collection-the-end

Comes out to $310 US with express shipping. This seems like a fantastic deal to me as the used prices on these are much more then that. Looks like I'll be in the market for a Japanese 360 soon. :)

Of course they would have some on sale after I already bought mine amd they announce CAVE tittles on STEAM. Still worth it.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Steam will soon be the correct answer for this, as with most other modern gaming questions.

No, the Saturn pad.
And there's even a version of these ready for it.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My Saturn Cthulhu adapter shows up as a PS3 joystick in Windows :D