To buy a Xbox 360 just for the shoot'em ups, what do you think?

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Ok so let's say I buy a used 2010 4gb unit, and the Cave Collection. Both things from Japan.

Then I buy in Spain the expansion 500gb hdd.

Am I all set? Or I'm missing something?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Are you asking us to decide on what you want? :p
Definitely get a nice stick. I like the HRAP EX series (EX-SE comes with LS-32 and seimitsu flat snap in buttons), might be hard to find but there are lots of good options out there for sticks (Qanba, newer Hori models, etc).

Must have:
Eschatos (region free)

Optional:
Raiden 4 (JP region locked)
Raiden Fighters Aces (JP region locked)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The Raiden games are excellent, as well as the other shmups available.

powerflower

Banned
Yep 360 is a perfect investment to not only to save tons and tons of money on PCBs but you get (especially Cave) all the versions and 360 modes etc. for "free".

Funny thing is that I like the exclusive modes more than the original Cave versions. Good example is Saidaioujou 360 mode, totally insane.

@ Some Mist

Ginga Force is really a very cool shooter with tons of extras but did you manage the highest difficulty level? Just very very hard.

Last edited:

eggball

n00b
I've been considering getting a JP Xbox 360 as well. Especially since not all shmups are region free. Also kinda wanna scope out Tetris: The Grand Master Ace.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
I've been considering getting a JP Xbox 360 as well. Especially since not all shmups are region free. Also kinda wanna scope out Tetris: The Grand Master Ace.

it's supposedly the worst TGM game (I believe it), but I've had a blast with tgm ace and think it's worth snaggin for the $10-30 or whatever it costs.

damosh

n00b
I imported a new 360 xbox from japan, and yes only because of these awesome shooting games out there. So far I own about 20 games and the cave shooting collection.
But be sure to also get a arcade stick. I have the deathsmiles stick from hori which is great.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I think the 360 is the shmup lover's console of choice with regards to the last gen, i'm a shooter nut and have played all the usual suspects with regards to these (PCE, saturn, megadrive) but it's the one system i haven't bothered with (apart from left 4 dead 1 and 2 and deathsmiles) time has come to put this right, i'm missing out on a pile of good games...

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I've recently got all the X360 shmups I wanted from Japan, which came down to 27 games, I think. All Limited Editions when available except for "Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets"....got a good deal for the standard edition there. And standard edition for "Otomedius Gorgeous" too.
Also have a nice Qanba stick waiting. Now all I need is a console. :) Got something lined about through a guy living over there but it sure is taking a looong time.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I won an ebay auction for a japanese elite xbox 360 120gb model, just because of the amount of good shooters on that system.
Now, im just looking for the cave shooting collection to get me started on the right path but the cheapest i can find that is for around $350 used on amazon.

Chempop

Think of it this way, you could almost buy a cave PCB for $350, or you could get a dozen awesome ports of their games in the collection. It’s worth the price.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I don't understand why this collection is so desireable, to be honest. It does look nice but I think those Limited Editions all together on the shelf look even nicer. And it doesn"t seem to be cheaper either. Can anyone enlighten me? (just out of curiousity, I mean....as I wrote above. I'm covered)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's really just an easy way to get everything in one shot. Besides, I spent a LOT more than that, and I don't even have all the games in the collection.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It's really just an easy way to get everything in one shot. Besides, I spent a LOT more than that, and I don't even have all the games in the collection.

So the collection is cheaper than getting the individual games. My main interest in the collection was having a good starting point with the system in one shot. I get an instant library of some of the best games on the system in just one purchase.

At $350 I will be happy having arcade perfect ports of really expensive pcb arcade games on the 360.

Chempop

I don't understand why this collection is so desireable, to be honest. It does look nice but I think those Limited Editions all together on the shelf look even nicer. And it doesn"t seem to be cheaper either. Can anyone enlighten me? (just out of curiousity, I mean....as I wrote above. I'm covered)

The LE’s were all around $125 new from import shops, so I don’t know what you are talking about. Plus the collection comes with a pile of superplay DVDs which retailed for around $75ea. The collection is an insanely good deal.

on the shelf look even nicer

:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the collection also has some content that was only available as DLC, which can be handy for us not in nipponland.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
The LE’s were all around $125 new from import shops, so I don’t know what you are talking about. Plus the collection comes with a pile of superplay DVDs which retailed for around $75ea. The collection is an insanely good deal.

Ah, okay, thank you.
Personally I don't need Superplay DVDs but I can see why those are a nice bonus. And I was not aware of the 125$ price point....got most of them for 30ish and had no idea. Makes that box a great deal indeed.

Huh? What? It's just my opinion. :)

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i'm surprised you don't have one already.the must have console of it's generation.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Now, im just looking for the cave shooting collection to get me started on the right path but the cheapest i can find that is for around $350 used on amazon.

I too missed out on the Cave Collection the first time around. I noticed however that Solaris Japan is selling these new again:

http://solarisjapan.com/products/cave-shooting-collection-the-end

Comes out to $310 US with express shipping. This seems like a fantastic deal to me as the used prices on these are much more then that. Looks like I'll be in the market for a Japanese 360 soon. :)

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
That is very tempting. If I grabbed a 360 it'd be just for the shumps probably, what kind of hard drive would be the best? I don't think I'd be playing much more than those. I wonder if an elite system would do.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
That is very tempting. If I grabbed a 360 it'd be just for the shumps probably, what kind of hard drive would be the best? I don't think I'd be playing much more than those. I wonder if an elite system would do.

60G is enough for shumps
But if you want to play other games as well, go with 250G