To buy a Xbox 360 just for the shoot'em ups, what do you think?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
That region locking is kind of deal breaker though since I want games from this region too.

You make it sound like most US games are region locked. I believe they are not.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Maybe they already got mentioned in this thread, but the 360 remake of the Treasure shooters Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga are both very good. RayStorm and the two Geometry Wars games are both highly recommended as well.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
They aren't? So if I buy a JP unit I should be able to play most US games but not vice versa?
Straight up bullshit, chempop doesn't know what he's talking about, a lot of us games are region locked.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
A huge amount are region free. Just not everything.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The games that matter aren't region free, at less you're eager to play assassin's creed in your JP360, oh wait maybe GTA? or some RPGs?!

Get real, if you wanna play US arcade game releases you are gonna need a US360, end of story.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
The games that matter aren't region free, at less you're eager to play assassin's creed in your JP360, oh wait maybe GTA? or some RPGs?!

Get real, if you wanna play US arcade game releases you are gonna need a US360, end of story.

The only import game that I really want is virtual on 4. There are probably a lot more I don't even know about yet though.

Fuck it I bit the bullet and started buying xbla games. Banjo Kazooie is on sale so snagged. I gotta tell ya, coming fresh off a playthrough of the N64 version, this is a HUGE improvement. Gonna be hard to go back now.

Also grabbed Guardian Heroes. Should have jumped on board when SNK was having their sale a few months ago but whatever.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I have to agree, I feel like a lot of these HD remakes are a god send. SO may great games on XBL that have gotten the HD uplift, but then some other haven't and still look superb. I love XBL. I recommend Omega V, it's a twin stick shooter but not like the usual twin stick shooters, this is more like Forgotten worlds meets Last Resort, fucking awesome!!!

Frenetic

New Challenger
Get an Xbox 360 for Mushihimesama Futari 1.5/Black Label alone. It's region free!

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
How good idea is to buy a Xbox 360 just for the shoot'em ups? And if you had to buy one, wich pew-pews would you recommend?

It's retailing for about 250€. I've never considered to buy one til today, but you never know.

This would be a 2015 buy, I don't know if that blue edition is the last one, or if it is reliable hardware-wise...

I have a JP 250GB 360 S and it has had zero issues for 4 years now. Stay away from the original non slim designs, period.

Whether its worth it or not is your call.

i bought a New Japanese360 with the Jasper chip set right before all the CAVE CO releases and man that machine is SHMUP Heaven and has never had a problem with it.

lidiaandmichael

Crazed MVS Addict
I just picked up the Cave Shooting Collection. I cant believe how much some people are charging for it. Thank god for amazon rewards points.

Giga_Power32bit

Armored Scrum Object
I just picked up the Cave Shooting Collection. I cant believe how much some people are charging for it. Thank god for amazon rewards points.
I hear ya on that one If I had to pay actual cash for all of these games I would be more broke than I actually am.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
i bought a New Japanese360 with the Jasper chip set right before all the CAVE CO releases and man that machine is SHMUP Heaven and has never had a problem with it.

Knock on wood then.

Honestly before the real redesign the motherboard revisions were horrible as they don't fix that poor case design and its venting. Failure rate % is a testament to it.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Oh? So even a Jasper wouldn't be safe? I've been looking into getting a JP console as well and Jasper seemed the way to go when it came to price as well as reliability. Didn't want spend triple the amount for a slim.

SniperElite

Kula's Candy
A slim Jap model is definitely the way to go brother. I have heard a lot of horror stories about pretty much everything except for slim models reliability given time.

Oh? So even a Jasper wouldn't be safe? I've been looking into getting a JP console as well and Jasper seemed the way to go when it came to price as well as reliability. Didn't want spend triple the amount for a slim.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I still got my JP X360 no-hdmi model. It's an oldie but a goodie. My US model however is a hdmi model and it did get the ROD, I sent it to MS and everything is gravy now. I have 3 360's only one slim, I can attest to the slim reliability, love that thing.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Original Case Design

170px-Xbox-360-Arcade-wController.jpg

Xenon: November 2005 , CPU:90nm GPU:90nm Power Consumption 203W
Zephyr: April 2007, Introduced HDMI port. Improved GPU heatsink.
Falcon: September 2007, 175W. Introduced 65 nm CPU.
Opus: June 2008, 175W Available as a replacement for Xenon motherboards which have been sent in to Microsoft repair centers.
Jasper: September 2008, 150W. Introduced 65 nm GPU. Introduced on-board flash-based memory.

360S
Xbox360_guide.jpg

Case and Motherboard redesign with large Case Fan and Proper Side Venting.

All models 45nm combined CPU/GPU 120W- 130W.

Huge difference in case design. While the Jasper does benefit with smaller a CPU and GPU, its still inside a poor vented case.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
They aren't? So if I buy a JP unit I should be able to play most US games but not vice versa?

general rule of thumb (at least for me) is that the US version is probably region-locked if it was localized after the original JPN release.

i.e. deathsmiles, akai katana, dodonpachi resurrection (EU), raiden fighters aces and other examples like Earth Defense Force & El Shaddai are region-locked. you can buy their JPN versions, but those tend to be a little bit pricier than the US localization. I think about 95% of my US-based collection is region-free with about 5% being the games I listed above.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet

but then you wouldn't be able to play any of the JPN region-locked titles... which typically aren't localized in the US. whereas a lot of the US region-locked titles actually have JPN versions.

If you're truly trying to nab a machine for shmups, I would think getting a US model would limit you moreso than a JPN model.

not that this matters from a gaming perspective, but one of the only things that really bugs me about owning a j360 is that the majority of my dvd movies/tv shows won't play haha.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I think you're misunderstanding, we were discussing the other side of the equation previously, maybe you missed it. US to play US games and JP to play JP games, you can't have one without the other if you're gonna be playing both regions. I got both, play both, works best this way. A US 360 is so cheap nowdays, it would seem dumb to have a jp 360 and not have the US counterpart if you're gonna play anything other than shooters.

Edit your posts instead of double posting, some people might flank you for a spammer.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
I mean yeah... if you want to play everything you obviously have to own both which is the best option. But if you were to buy "one" as the original post asks, I think the J360 would be a better non-modding option due to the larger accessible library - especially if you're buying it "just for the shoot 'em ups".

When I first got my j360 (which was after I got a us360) I was actually surprised at how many US games were actually region-free.

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I'd recommend picking up an older model 360 with the removable faceplate, getting it hacked (or doing it yourself. I think you can buy a USB SPI NAND reader, Coolrunner Rev C, and all the bits you need to hack it for maybe $50-60), and buying the Limited Edition of Deathsmiles for the adorable faceplate.