To buy a Xbox 360 just for the shoot'em ups, what do you think?

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
There's a pretty long JP 360 thread over at the Shmups forums I would check that out. Link

PAL 360 you have, Deathsmiles, Akai Katana, DDP Resurrection, Under Defeat HD. They are really dirt cheap brand new. Then there's region free NTSC-J.

I had the JP 360 since launch because it came out 3 months before the 360 here and I could get the games from Hong Kong with English 50% cheaper at the time. Now it's RROD, i'd definitely look to get a slim or e model.

If you're looking at a PAL one, I'm assuming they have huge after Xmas sales in Europe. Last year Microsoft was giving $100 cash back on the 4GB E model and I ended up getting it for $60 brand new.

Go PAL if you want to play some 360 Shmups, JP if you want all.

Last edited:

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
I just picked up a jap 360 while in Japan and I've since bought quite a lot of shmups for it (it was the reason I did it in the first place)

I'd recommend it if you're a fan of the genre and cave games in particular as many have said already

FYI, I already had 2 PAL 360's in the house, I just really wanted to play some of those sweet sweet jap exclusives :) console cost me about $40-50... games have cost... a lot... but thats cause I can't control myself

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
don't know too much about shmups, but I own a xbox360, bought it used (one of the first white models) and never played anything 3D related that stresses the Hardware (I got this only for the arcade rereleases like SFIII, SF2 HD, NGBC and stuff) - 0 issues.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Is Ketsui much better on the 360 vs the PS3 release or something?
Having recently acquired PS3 Ketsui, it feels a bit off and I have no idea why. The bullets are a lot harder to focus on in the PS3 version and I'm dying way sooner than I do on 360. It's nowhere near PS2 Ibara bad, but I definitely prefer the 360 version.

*edit* Ok I played them back to back a few times, and then dug a bit deeper into video settings. Same video cable, same connection, same 1080p display. The 360 version plays Ketsui at 1080p, while the PS3 version will not and goes to 720p instead. After a few side-by-side plays, there's also a small amount of extra lag when I play PS3, but I'm pretty sure that's because my display is native 1080p and upscaling the 720p.

Moving over to my standard definition CRT tate setup, the PS3 version looks and feels good there. That seems to be the way to go for playing PS3 Ketsui.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
ed1313d7fff257fd158dca10e2d8d9b9.jpg

^Reason enough for a j360, period.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Looked through my 360 discs and made a list. If someone else wants to fill me in on European releases feel free, as the only one I am familiar with is DoDonPachi Resurrection (Daifukkatsu).

I have all of these except Game Center Love. Let me know if I messed up any region information.

Akai Katana [Cave]- Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

Bullet Soul [5pb] - Japan (region free)

Caladrius [Moss] - Japan (region locked)

Deathsmiles [Cave] - Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

Deathsmiles IIX [Cave] - Japan (region locked)

DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label [Cave] - Japan (region locked)

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu [Cave] - Japan (region locked) and Europe (region free) -- Note: Normal and Black Label are seperate releases in Japan, but combined for Europe

DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou [Cave] - Japan (region free)

Eschatos [Qute] - Japan (region free)

Espgaluda II [Cave] - Japan (region free, except LE which is locked)

Game Center Love [Triangle Service] - Japan (region locked)

Ginga Force [Qute] - Japan (region free)

Instant Brain (DoDonPachi) [Cave] - Japan (region locked)

Ketsui [Cave] - Japan (region locked)

Mamoru-kun [G.Rev] - Japan (region locked)

Muchi Muchi Pork / Pink Sweets [Cave] - Japan (region free)

Mushihimesama HD [Cave] - Japan (region locked)

Mushihimesama Futari [Cave] - Japan (region free)

Otomedius G [Konami] - Japan (region locked)

Otomedius Excellent [Konami] - Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

Radirgy Noa Massive [Milestone] - Japan (region locked)

Raiden Fighters Aces [Moss/Seibu] - Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

Raiden IV [Moss] - Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

Sakura Flamingo Archives [Milestone/Klon] - Japan (region locked)

Senko no Ronde (Wartech) [G.Rev] - Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

Senko no Ronde Duo [G.Rev] - Japan (region locked)

Castle of Shikigami III [Arc System] - Japan (region locked)

Shooting Love 10th Anniversary [Triangle Service] - Japan (region free)

Shooting Love 200X [Triangle Service] - Japan (region locked)

Strike Witches [Cyber Front] - Japan (region locked)

Under Defeat [5pb] - Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Thank you all guys, I've made up my mind and will be buying a japanese 360 next year.

The Cave collection is selling at about 300€, was this its original retail price?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Original retail price might not be too relevant because most import shops tagged on an extra $50-100 at release. 300€ for the original collection or the second “Kan” release including SDOJ, either is pretty good imho. Many have had issues with downloading the DLC, something about only being able to do a few at a time iirc, so you might want to research how to get all those extra modes and other good stuff.

edit:
The original release was 24,800 yen on Amazon.jp, the reprint is 26,784 yen.

Those were retail prices, but like I said, import sites immediately raised the prices to closer to $300-400 USD.

Last edited:

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Looked through my 360 discs and made a list. If someone else wants to fill me in on European releases feel free, as the only one I am familiar with is DoDonPachi Resurrection (Daifukkatsu).

I have all of these except Game Center Love. Let me know if I messed up any region information.

Akai Katana [Cave]- Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

Bullet Soul [5pb] - Japan (region free)

Caladrius [Moss] - Japan (region locked)

Deathsmiles [Cave] - Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

Deathsmiles IIX [Cave] - Japan (region locked)

DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label [Cave] - Japan (region locked)

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu [Cave] - Japan (region locked) and Europe (region free) -- Note: Normal and Black Label are seperate releases in Japan, but combined for Europe

DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou [Cave] - Japan (region free)

Eschatos [Qute] - Japan (region free)

Espgaluda II [Cave] - Japan (region free, except LE which is locked)

Game Center Love [Triangle Service] - Japan (region locked)

Ginga Force [Qute] - Japan (region free)

Instant Brain (DoDonPachi) [Cave] - Japan (region locked)

Ketsui [Cave] - Japan (region locked)

Mamoru-kun [G.Rev] - Japan (region locked)

Muchi Muchi Pork / Pink Sweets [Cave] - Japan (region free)

Mushihimesama HD [Cave] - Japan (region locked)

Mushihimesama Futari [Cave] - Japan (region free)

Otomedius G [Konami] - Japan (region locked)

Otomedius Excellent [Konami] - Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

Radirgy Noa Massive [Milestone] - Japan (region locked)

Raiden Fighters Aces [Moss/Seibu] - Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

Raiden IV [Moss] - Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

Sakura Flamingo Archives [Milestone/Klon] - Japan (region locked)

Senko no Ronde (Wartech) [G.Rev] - Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

Senko no Ronde Duo [G.Rev] - Japan (region locked)

Castle of Shikigami III [Arc System] - Japan (region locked)

Shooting Love 10th Anniversary [Triangle Service] - Japan (region free)

Shooting Love 200X [Triangle Service] - Japan (region locked)

Strike Witches [Cyber Front] - Japan (region locked)

Under Defeat [5pb] - Japan (region locked) and North America (region locked)

Great list. I've added the PAL ones below:

Akai Katana - PAL (works on NTSC-U consoles)
Deathsmiles (DELUXE EDITION) - PAL (region locked)
Under Defeat - PAL (region locked)

Correction:
DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu (Resurrection) [Cave] - Japan (region locked) and Europe (works on NTSC-U consoles) -- Note: Normal and Black Label are seperate releases in Japan, but combined for Europe (Black Label (including a Black Label Novice mode, but NOT Black Label Arrange) is available as DLC).

Last edited:

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
it was Cave games I decided to get a 360 Im not really good at Cave shmups but I still enjoy them and I guess thats all that matters.

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
If you go out hunting at thrift shops and garage sales, you can get a slim 360 (you don't want a fat model or the newest E model) for less than $40. They haven't been expensive since 2012, and the system has had enough good games to warrant a purchase 5+ years.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If you go out hunting at thrift shops and garage sales, you can get a slim 360 (you don't want a fat model or the newest E model) for less than $40. They haven't been expensive since 2012, and the system has had enough good games to warrant a purchase 5+ years.

You won't get any video games around here at any thrift shops. Everyone is picked over due to flippers. And I mean picked the fuck over.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Yeah I go to the retro shops at the first week of their grand opening. Any later than that and the flippers would have already ransacked whatever worthwhile stuff they have.

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
I can still find decent stuff at Goodwill and the Salvation Army. I go about twice a week on average. The key is frequency and the right mind set. Expecting good stuff even a quarter of the time is unrealistic.

They key to slowing hyperinflation is to have self control and not impulse buy a flipper's overpriced crap. Even if I were a millionaire, I would not pay what most people on eBay ask for things. It seems like virtually every seller on that goddamn website wants to be the next person to raise the price ceiling on every fucking thing they list.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Someone local to me needed money and offered me his 360 for cheap so I got it. It was solely used for the SHMUPs. The night I brought it home I ordered Deathsmiles, Akai Katana, and Otomedius Excellent. Couple days later I was having too much fun.

Chempop

Couple days later I was having too much fun.

That moment you realize most of the games you’ve ever played were crap? :emb:
Nice score though, Deaethsmiles and Akai are great. Going to get some verts soon? Mushihimesama Futari (JP), ESP Galuda 2 (JP), Dodonpachi:Resurrection (EU) would be my highest recommendations.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
That moment you realize most of the games you’ve ever played were crap? :emb:
Nice score though, Deaethsmiles and Akai are great. Going to get some verts soon? Mushihimesama Futari (JP), ESP Galuda 2 (JP), Dodonpachi:Resurrection (EU) would be my highest recommendations.

I haven't gotten much in the means of the vertical shooters. For the longest time I had all of my shooters in my arcade cab which was a Die Hard (ST-V trashcan cab) so everything needed to be horizontal. Since I was confined to that orientation I had seemed to stick with it. I picked up a Commodore 1702 monitor and I was finally able to put a monitor on its side. Not long after I got a HP 2035 monitor that has a rotating stand. Now I have a Dynamo HS-1 cab that let's me flip the monitor easily and I find myself getting the tate bug. My 360 is the US version so I'm focused more on getting some vertical shooters on my modded PS2 and Japanese Dreamcast and my arcade cab.

Chempop

Wasn't this released also in the UK and it is region free? That is the version I got

Not exactly. EU got DDP:R (which is DFK 1.5 with downloadable Black Label on the marketplace iirc). The JP hard copy of DDP-DFK:BL has an arrange “ketsui-pachi” mode only seen on the import JP region locked release. I think that’s the one wataru wanks it to. :mr_t:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Not exactly. EU got DDP:R (which is DFK 1.5 with downloadable Black Label on the marketplace iirc). The JP hard copy of DDP-DFK:BL has an arrange “ketsui-pachi” mode only seen on the import JP region locked release. I think that’s the one wataru wanks it to. :mr_t:

a9f3e5beb8eb57e79e4ed7da534b73c6.jpg

^______________^

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Are all 360's jtag'able now? I wouldn't mind buying a cheap one and just modding it so it can play imports. Never kept up on 360 stuff, but been getting into shmups lately.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
i definitely would like to pick up some of the region free 360 shmups or eventually pick up a j360 on the cheap. too many awesome shmups that are region locked :(

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
I need to go to BookOff and pray that someone trades in a xbox360 J region. I lucked out and scored a boxed white sega saturn in box complete in mint condition for 50.00. Non yellowed too!

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I need to go to BookOff and pray that someone trades in a xbox360 J region. I lucked out and scored a boxed white sega saturn in box complete in mint condition for 50.00. Non yellowed too!

Damn nice haul. I really should check out BookOff. Only been there once like 9 years ago and had no interest (used to work at hobby shop in Little Tokyo that had a way better selection and obviously better prices).

As for buying a 360 just for shmups? I wouldn't, but there are a lot of good exclusives on the system that constantly tempt me. That region locking is kind of deal breaker though since I want games from this region too.