Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: Flashing Carts?

  1. #1
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    BTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NC

    Posts
    237

    Flashing Carts?

    Not looking for a banhammer here, but is it possible to flash/convert your own carts. Ie- turn my world heroes into a last hope. What would it involve?

    That being said am and not looking to gain information to recreate, sell, boot, etc. Just want to play some cool games on the cheap

  2. #2
    Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong
    GohanX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Next to your mom

    Posts
    9,175
    Buy a multicart.

    That's the nicest reply you're going to get about this subject.

  3. #3
    Angel's Love Slave
    LegoSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Posts
    1,073
    Ow
    Quote Originally Posted by BTD View Post
    Not looking for a banhammer here, but is it possible to flash/convert your own carts. Ie- turn my world heroes into a last hope. What would it involve?

    That being said am and not looking to gain information to recreate, sell, boot, etc. Just want to play some cool games on the cheap
    No point in destroying games, just buy a multicart.

  4. #4
    Edo Express Delivery Guy

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by BTD View Post
    Not looking for a banhammer here, but is it possible to flash/convert your own carts. Ie- turn my world heroes into a last hope. What would it involve?

    That being said am and not looking to gain information to recreate, sell, boot, etc. Just want to play some cool games on the cheap
    I've warned your copy of World Heroes, and it has already escaped.

  5. #5
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    BTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NC

    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuttio View Post
    I've warned your copy of World Heroes, and it has already escaped.
    Best reply yet lol. Fair enough on the multi cart.

    Now is a multi cart emulation or is it just a bunch of games stored on a large chip? Meaning, is it the original dumped files or a recreation?

  6. #6
    H = Hot
    M = Macho
    G = Gay
    HeavyMachineGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    3,810
    It's a bunch of games stored on a bunch of chips, no emulation. The only problem is more than half the games included on any multicart are useless hacks and Last Hope isn't ever included on them, because it's a homebrew game.

  7. #7
    Edo Express Delivery Guy

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMachineGun View Post
    It's a bunch of games stored on a bunch of chips, no emulation. The only problem is more than half the games included on any multicart are useless hacks and Last Hope isn't ever included on them, because it's a homebrew game.
    And sometimes you get funky versions of games. Glitches etc. Garou on the 121 has weird background problems in some stages, and I remember Sam Sho V Special crashed a lot.

  8. #8
    Neo Bubble Buster

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Belgium

    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuttio View Post
    And sometimes you get funky versions of games. Glitches etc. Garou on the 121 has weird background problems in some stages, and I remember Sam Sho V Special crashed a lot.
    If I recall correctly highscores won't get saved on any of these multicarts (this is a dealbreaker for me). People report it's a pain to (keep on) configuring them for the right difficulty level, too. And you're supporting the people who (by bootlegging) (at least partially) took away SNK's business.

  9. #9
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    BTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NC

    Posts
    237
    So if I'm following everyone here, instead of recreating a game with the correct parts, buy a bootleg that partially works? You can see the contradiction right?

  10. #10
    Vice's Love Slave
    shadowkn55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    SoCal

    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by BTD View Post
    So if I'm following everyone here, instead of recreating a game with the correct parts, buy a bootleg that partially works? You can see the contradiction right?
    The short answer is nobody is going to tell you how to make bootlegs. If you are going to walk into treacherous territory, do some independent research. Having this kind of information floating around is a liability for the community.

  11. #11
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    BTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NC

    Posts
    237
    That's fair. I'll leave it alone.

  12. #12
    Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong
    GohanX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Next to your mom

    Posts
    9,175
    Nobody cares if you use a multicart because they are made from new parts. Converting legit carts to bootlegs destroys real carts, and the forums don't take to kindly to that.

    Go look at the prices of Fatal Fury 3 and Sam Shodown 3 homecarts. They used to be $30 all day every day but are getting scarce as they are prime bootleg donors.

  13. #13
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    BTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NC

    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Nobody cares if you use a multicart because they are made from new parts. Converting legit carts to bootlegs destroys real carts, and the forums don't take to kindly to that.

    Go look at the prices of Fatal Fury 3 and Sam Shodown 3 homecarts. They used to be $30 all day every day but are getting scarce as they are prime bootleg donors.

    So basically if everyone started to sacrifice world heroes mvs to make something better (basically any other game), they would not only have said game, but everyone's copy of World Heroes they don't want just jumped in value. So the gamers win and the hipsters lose? Hmm...

  14. #14
    Vice's Love Slave
    shadowkn55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    SoCal

    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by BTD View Post
    So basically if everyone started to sacrifice world heroes mvs to make something better (basically any other game), they would not only have said game, but everyone's copy of World Heroes they don't want just jumped in value. So the gamers win and the hipsters lose? Hmm...
    Whether or not that's true, it's irrelevant. The point I made earlier still stands.

  15. #15
    H = Hot
    M = Macho
    G = Gay
    HeavyMachineGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    3,810
    It's more economical for the future of Neo Geo if bootlegs are made from all new parts, rather than original parts. What's the fun in having a massive overstock of shitty quality conversions while originals become extremely rare?

    If you don't believe us, look at Sengoku 3 AES. This game used to be relatively cheap, but then mass poaching pushed the game into rare status. You know it's getting bad when a donor game (Sengoku 3) is having conversions made for it, because it's so rare now.

  16. #16
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    BTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NC

    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMachineGun View Post
    It's more economical for the future of Neo Geo if bootlegs are made from all new parts, rather than original parts. What's the fun in having a massive overstock of shitty quality conversions while originals become extremely rare?

    If you don't believe us, look at Sengoku 3 AES. This game used to be relatively cheap, but then mass poaching pushed the game into rare status. You know it's getting bad when a donor game (Sengoku 3) is having conversions made for it, because it's so rare now.
    No argument there, but with the exception of multi carts, wouldn't you say the majority of bootlegs use recycled SNK boards and parts? If that's the case, why not create quality reproductions? Pc engine Sapphire reproductions were awesome for those who couldn't drop crazy money on the originals(I realize that didn't sacrifice original cds or hu cards). And let's just talk about using carts with issues (graphics, audio, etc). Two busted world heroes makes one sengoku 2? If that bothered someone it'd only be because their own sengoku 2 cart would lose some value.

    Again, not trying to ruffle feathers, just a thought.

  17. #17
    Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong
    GohanX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Next to your mom

    Posts
    9,175
    Most of the regular posters on this forum do not want the value of the games to increase, they want them to decrease. These aren't investments, their goddamn video games. There are some collectors around here, but you'll find that those that collect and play are revered, while those that just throw them on the shelf and speculate the future value are run off.
    Last edited by GohanX; 12-10-2014 at 10:49 PM.

  18. #18
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    BTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NC

    Posts
    237
    No they want other's games to decrease in price, not their own. Who wants their own possessions devalued? But of course you can't have it both ways.

    Back to the original post, I understand why you personally think it's a bad idea. Thanks for sharing.

  19. #19
    H = Hot
    M = Macho
    G = Gay
    HeavyMachineGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    3,810
    I'd vastly prefer if my Neo stuff was worth less, it means it would cost less to replace.

    Nobody ever thinks about that aspect, but it has happened to often to not care about. The value of what you own is determined by how much it would cost to replace it. I shudder to think how much it would cost to replace my Garou homecart.

  20. #20
    Neo*Geomancer
    wyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tampa, FL

    Posts
    4,531
    Some market stability would be nice. Persistent inflation helps no one, except those who are permanently getting out of buying. Sure, you may sell stuff for more but you end up paying more for other games down the line.

  21. #21
    Igniz's Servant
    jesesfbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Socal

    Posts
    543
    If you find out how to make world heroes a useful sac cart let me know. I need a future fund for my future children.

    Just to let you know the world heroes cart will require a lot of rewiring and logic chips to even have a thought of possibly last hope working on it. So I guess you can say that was your last hope? :P
    Last edited by jesesfbi; 12-11-2014 at 01:11 AM.

  22. #22
    Igniz's Servant
    jesesfbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Socal

    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by BTD View Post
    No argument there, but with the exception of multi carts, wouldn't you say the majority of bootlegs use recycled SNK boards and parts? If that's the case, why not create quality reproductions? Pc engine Sapphire reproductions were awesome for those who couldn't drop crazy money on the originals(I realize that didn't sacrifice original cds or hu cards). And let's just talk about using carts with issues (graphics, audio, etc). Two busted world heroes makes one sengoku 2? If that bothered someone it'd only be because their own sengoku 2 cart would lose some value.

    Again, not trying to ruffle feathers, just a thought.
    If you use two broken world heroes cart to make a sengoku 2? Are you talking about bootlegging because that is the only method. I would rather repair the broken world heroes cart than turn them into a bootleg.

  23. #23
    Trollbox Trade Federation
    bustedstr8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Boston Burbs

    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by BTD View Post
    Best reply yet lol. Fair enough on the multi cart.

    Now is a multi cart emulation or is it just a bunch of games stored on a large chip? Meaning, is it the original dumped files or a recreation?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMachineGun View Post
    It's a bunch of games stored on a bunch of chips, no emulation. The only problem is more than half the games included on any multicart are useless hacks and Last Hope isn't ever included on them, because it's a homebrew game.
    If the Neo Geo can't run Neo Geo emulation...can it run SNES emulation?
    Clowns Suck


  24. #24
    H = Hot
    M = Macho
    G = Gay
    HeavyMachineGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    3,810
    Quote Originally Posted by bustedstr8 View Post
    If the Neo Geo can't run Neo Geo emulation...can it run SNES emulation?
    I notice people have an extremely strange perception of flash carts and sometimes multi-carts as shown here. Emulation is nowhere near the correct word here. Both flash carts and multi-carts simply load and execute one game from a mass storage source of some kind, with a processor and menu ROM managing everything for the user. The only difference between a flash/multi cart and an original cart is the latter has access to only one game, rather than many. You'd essentially turn a multi-cart into a flash cart if you changed the permanent on-board ROM array with a SD/CF/etc card interface.

    As for your question, not sure if you're sarcastic. I think the Neo is too application specific to be good at emulating. For one thing, the 68k isn't THAT amazingly fast. Someone made a NES emulator for Genesis and it runs really slowly. The other massive problem is the 68k cannot access C ROM data, making it difficult to process stuff on-the-fly if needed to get good speed.

    The Neo is best suited to mind blowing works of 2D art, not running games for inferior systems. It's time we started dumping RPGs and text adventures onto the Neo.

  25. #25
    SouthTown StreetSweeper
    pulstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southampton, England

    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMachineGun View Post
    I'd vastly prefer if my Neo stuff was worth less, it means it would cost less to replace.
    This is exactly what I hope for. It's not fun when a cart (or PCB) you dropped a lot of cash on develops a fault just because it was being used. When I put certain carts in to play I hold my breath just hoping it boots and plays fine.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •