MVS game crashing

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I bought a few MVS games last night and one of them (Top Players Golf) crashes as soon as I start a game. It loads the start screen fine and then when I go into a game it crashes, always at a different point but soon after the main screen.

I am playing this on an AES with a Super Convertor 2. Would this cause any problems?

Otherwise, is there anything else I can try before returning the game?

Thanks.

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
There are 3445627 people who know better than me but it sounds like power issue to me.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
There are 3445627 people who know better than me but it sounds like power issue to me.

Would this not be the case for every game though? I have 10 other MVS games that work fine.

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
I believe certain games require 9v power to function.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Ah, thanks for the advice BTD. I am actually using it on a 5V Japanese AES, but I do have a boxed 9V system too, so I might have to get that one out and give it a try.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

I think that it is not a psu problem, since TPG is not a big game like MSX. Have you cleaned the game contact??

Un saludo

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Hi,

I think that it is not a psu problem, since TPG is not a big game like MSX. Have you cleaned the game contact??

Un saludo

I thought of trying that too. I have some electrical contact cleaner somewhere, so I will find that and see if it helps.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If the game always crashes in the exact same place no matter what, it's probably a bad P ROM.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
If the game always crashes in the exact same place no matter what, it's probably a bad P ROM.

Testing the CRC with the UniBIOS will tell you if the P roms are OK or not, however bear in mind that the check seems to only give good results if there are no converters involved, i.e. testing AES carts on an AES system or MVS carts on an MVS system.

Regards.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter

It crashes at around the same time but not exactly. It is always before gameplay but the exact point varies.

I don't have a system with a unibos at the moment so will try cleaning and see how it goes.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Try clearing the system data that is usually backed by the battery. Perhaps it is trying to read corrupted data that is stored (settings, scores, etc) and that is causing it to crash. This is not likely, but worth a try.

The Unibios test would be the most helpful, but if that doesn't work then make sure contact is good for all of the P ROM address lines. The data lines must be okay if it's booting at all, while the way it crashes at a certain point suggest there could be an issue with a high line.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Whenever you have any problems with games running, always clean the cart edge and the system/converter slots to ensure you are making 100% connection when you have the glitches.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Ok, so I have cleaned the contacts well and I still have the same problem. It either freezes at the intro where the duck is on the pond or it goes through until you are about to play a hole and then resets.

I'm guessing this cart is done?

I also received another cart today which has no sound. Cleaned the contacts again but still no sound, otherwise works well.

I'm not having much luck with MVS carts. Bought 6 recently and 2 are faulty.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I didn't, but all my other games work fine. How would be best to clean then? I'm not sure a q tip would fit.