SNES Power Supply Alternatives or Fixes

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
My SNES PSU is crapping out. I'm not sure if it is able to be fixed. I have to wrap the cord around the PSU to the left to get a connection. Something must be loose. I looked online for alternatives, and couldn't find anything that looked "safe" to use.

1. Do you think there is a chance I could take this apart and fix it? The screws look weird.

2. I probably need a backup anyway. I do not want to spend $30.00 at radio shack, but I would like something new that I know has been treated right, instead of purchasing a used OEM one that may be about to die. Do I have any good options, or is it radio shack?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The best option is to replace the proprietary AC adapter plug and fit one in there that's compatible with a Super Famicom, Genesis, SMS or 9v Neo Geo AC adapter. There are plenty of replacements for those consoles.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
thanks for the help guys. I should be able to figure something out.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
The best option is to replace the proprietary AC adapter plug and fit one in there that's compatible with a Super Famicom, Genesis, SMS or 9v Neo Geo AC adapter. There are plenty of replacements for those consoles.

Don't do this, that's stupid.

You can buy a radio shack AC Adapter instead (set it to 9V) and use an adaptaplug type R, you get a free adaptaplug when you buy a universal.

http://www.radioshack.com/enercell-...316.html#start=13&q=enercell+ac+adapter&sz=12

http://www.radioshack.com/enercell-adaptaplug-r/2730320.html

The other option is buy a shitty cheap 3in1 ac adapter and cut the SNES connector port off. Then solder it on to a quality universal adapter like this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PowerLine-1300-mah-Universal-AC-Adapter-w-USB-Power-Port/16778839

Rather than ruining the integrity of the console.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The other option is buy a shitty cheap 3in1 ac adapter and cut the SNES connector port off.

Ohh man, those 3in1 ac adapters are complete garbage. Harvesting the cables/connectors from them is about the only redeeming thing you can do.

Pasky

Ya, it's actually quite convenient because you can buy those pieces of shit for about $3. Opening one up is pretty hilarious. An extremely tiny transformer and a switching regulator only rated to 250mA :lolz:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I might have a spare SNES AC, remind me if I don't get back to you.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Don't do this, that's stupid.
Then call me a moron because that's exactly what I did with my SNES mini. I don't regret doing it in the least, that means one less PSU I have to worry about. Also the American SNES AC adapter jack is probably one of the more fragile designs out there, I've run across a bunch of SNESes that had the inner plastic ring break apart and cause the PSU plug to wiggle around. I'd say that ruins the integrity of the console more than replacing it with a more robust power jack design.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Apolloboy already explained why the US SNES power jack sucks monkey butts. Why would you not want your US SNES to be directly compatible with an AC adapter shared by numerous systems, including but not limited to, the Genesis Model 1, Famicom, Super Famicom, Master System, TG16 (PCE?), 9v Neo Geo and Japanese Virtual Boy.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Apolloboy already explained why the US SNES power jack sucks monkey butts. Why would you not want your US SNES to be directly compatible with an AC adapter shared by numerous systems, including but not limited to, the Genesis Model 1, Famicom, Super Famicom, Master System, TG16 (PCE?), 9v Neo Geo and Japanese Virtual Boy.

I just bought a Sega trio and forgot I have that exact psu from radio shack free'd up. Maybe I will head over to radio shack and see if they have an adaptor. I have a radio shack genesis 1 and cd model 2 adaptor from radio shack. They look close to identical, although I don't have them in front of me to check the polarity. I think one is 1200ma, and the other is 1.5

Pasky

The model 1 genesis uses a different power plug than the model 2. I know the model 3 was also positive pin center, believe the model 2 is as well since they used the same plug. While the model 1 is negative pin center.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The model 1 genesis uses a different power plug than the model 2. I know the model 3 was also positive pin center, believe the model 2 is as well since they used the same plug. While the model 1 is negative pin center.

Yes, Genesis model1 & cd model 2 share the same plug, and the Genesis model 2, cd1, 32x, and game gear share the same plug as well if I remember correctly.

Now back to the snes sharing the same plug as the Genesis model 1. they are the same wattage/amp but different connectors correct? I think the snes is more fat.

The problem with the radioshack adapta plug is that they are long and hang down. It's incredibly annoying with my Sega cd model 2. You can't set a console directly on a surface because the plug will press into the ground. So you have to stack it on books or push it to the very end of the table.

My snes plug socket is one of those wiggle one. Is there a way to fix that?

Pasky

Yes, the genesis adapter will work as the ratings are sufficient, the problem is just the plug, as the SNES uses a non-standard adapter with a round plug over the pin. The polarity on the SNES doesn't matter because it has a diode bridge. Super famicoms don't have the bridge and must be negative center.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I've never had to replace my SNES adapter, is there no quality third-party adapter with a compatible plug?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I've never had to replace my SNES adapter, is there no quality third-party adapter with a compatible plug?

From my understanding there is not a new plug designed for the snes of quality. You must either hack a plug, or get a radioshack one. The watt/amp requirements are the same as many consoles posted above. But the snes had a larger tip.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
From my understanding there is not a new plug designed for the snes of quality. You must either hack a plug, or get a radioshack one. The watt/amp requirements are the same as many consoles posted above. But the snes had a larger tip.

I guess Nintendo deliberately made the US SNES plug different to avoid mismatched or wrong ac adapters, especially since the NES power supply doesn't convert to DC. Nintendo probably correctly predicted people may try using the NES cable and fry the SNES, so they made the SNES plug incompatible.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Beyond the actual A/C adapter the actual small piece of plastic the A/C adapter connects to on the back of my original SNES is cracked. Anyone know a easy fix for that?

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Beyond the actual A/C adapter the actual small piece of plastic the A/C adapter connects to on the back of my original SNES is cracked. Anyone know a easy fix for that?
That's pretty much what I was referring to earlier. If you want to replace it with the same jack, you'll have to replace the entire back panel which means desoldering the power jack and then finagling the old panel out. However I would recommend replacing it with a 5.5 by 2.1 mm jack, so that way you can use a model 1 Sega Genesis or newer model AES PSU with it.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Cool. I was hoping it would be a quick fix but at least I have my SNESJR to play.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
One thing to note is that I've not had good luck using 3rd party adapters with my SNES when it came to booting the SD2SNES. I know I'm not the only one who's had problems in that regard. There's a reason OEM SNES adapters still go for a pretty penny. If anyone has an alternative they've been able to test as working I'm all ears though!

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yes, Genesis model1 & cd model 2 share the same plug, and the Genesis model 2, cd1, 32x, and game gear share the same plug as well if I remember correctly.

Not quite. There are two standard types of Sega AC adapter. The first is compatible with the Genesis Model 1, Sega CD Model 1 and Model 2. The second AC adapter works on Genesis 2, 3, 32X, Game Gear and Nomad. There's also the Sega CDX AC adapter, which is similar but has more amps. Don't use a weaker Genesis Model 2/etc AC adapter on the CDX, it's not enough for it to work properly.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Aaaaaaaand my SNES plug just cracked in half. Now I either need to deal with a loose connection, possibly glue the piece back together in that tiny space, replace the whole back panel, or replace the plug altogether.

I may have to learn to solder sooner than I had expected.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Aaaaaaaand my SNES plug just cracked in half. Now I either need to deal with a loose connection, possibly glue the piece back together in that tiny space, replace the whole back panel, or replace the plug altogether.

I may have to learn to solder sooner than I had expected.

It's not hard and a invaluable skill for a retro gamer. I learned by soldering battery holders in super Nintendo games. Just remember 3 seconds on at most, 10 seconds at least off. And have the correct tools. I use a pan vise mini and a desoldering pump. I hate the braids, but it's up to preference