Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Holy shit is this game made of awesome. It vaulted past Alien: Isolation for my best game of the year. In fairness, I haven't played Dragon Age: Inquisition yet.

So this game basically gives the Batman: Arkham treatment to Middle Earth, setting the game in a period right before Fellowship of the Ring and with clear visual ties to the film series' interpretation of LOTR. Gollum, looking like he does in the movies, makes appearances, and even though it's not Serkis voicing the role the guy doing it is a dead ringer. I can't even tell the difference.

The gameplay is very similar to Batman: Arkham. You run around what I believe is the Gondor side of the Black Gate climb, stealth, explore, do side missions and a variety of other activities to level up your character and his weapons. The combat engine is extremely similar to Batman with a few interesting variations and some other types of special moves that mix it up a little bit. The archery mechanic, where time slows down so you can get head shots easily, and the instant kill moves are always eminently satisfying. I never get tired of them.

The Nemesis System is, hands down, one of the most ingenious elements of this game. Basically, you have to systematically kill the war chiefs of the orc clan in the area, and you can kill their sub captains to make them easier to defeat when you finally face them. If you die at an orc's hand, that orc gets promoted to a sub captain status and grows a little stronger. When you respawn, you can choose to go and get revenge against the orc that killed you. It's a really compelling game system that makes you keep coming back. And the orc dialogue is both clever and infuriating: if a particular orc killed you before, when he sees you again he'll trash talk you. It really makes you want to get your revenge and it works very well.

The area navigation is very easy and fast, and you never have to waste too much time climbing. When you climb, it's quick and there are few surfaces that can't be scaled. When you see large buildings or cliff faces in your path, it's not really a source of frustration because they make the movement very fast and not at all combersome. In fact, I'd say that when you're climbing, stealthing or assassinating orcs, it does these things better than Assassin's Creed (what's up with that, Ubisoft?)

The storyline also has a really clever mechanic for respawning. You play as Talien, a ranger on the Black Gate who is murdered by an agent of Sauron and his orcs. You are reborn when a wraith latches on to your body and decides to not only help you on your quest but also seek out his own answers about his identity, of which he remembers nothing. The storyline is one of revenge, which by itself is a tired subplot. But the narrative for the side quests, the characters you meet, the lore you encounter regarding Middle Earth and the politics of the orc factions all help to enliven what would otherwise be a very tired narrative. And to top it off, the voice acting is top notch and the characters are engaging and likeable.

If you haven't played this game yet and like good action adventure games with RPG elements, you need to try this. If you are a fan of Middle Earth, then a good game using Tolkein's world has finally come out. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Which version are you playing? I picked up the 360 version but haven't played it yet. Is it different besides graphics from the next gen versions?

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
+1 - great review Taiso, definitely one of the best games I've played this year.

it was a steal at $25 during the Black Friday sales. I bought the game on release day and i don't regret it.

The different skill trees are well done. What i liked about picking a new skill was it actually made a difference rather than just boosting your stats or not really turning out the way you expected. The weapon upgrades are very satisfying also.

By the end of the game if you've done enough side quests and gotten enough skill ups you turn into an almost unstoppable machine which is really satisfying after getting your ass handed to you early in the game.

Finally the story is quite good. Basically this game shits all over AC Unity in every single way.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Which version are you playing? I picked up the 360 version but haven't played it yet. Is it different besides graphics from the next gen versions?

I'm on PS4.

As for the difference between current and last gen, the only thing I've heard besides the obvious (graphics) is that the Nemesis System for last gen isn't as robust. I couldn't tell you what's missing from it, though.

Lantis:

This is the best Assassin's Creed game I've played all year LOL

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
This is the best Assassin's Creed game I've played all year LOL

See... This is why I don't care about Ubisolft anymore. This game came out of nowhere and walked all over the last version of Assassin's Creed's body.... that was yet to be released.

Epic fail Ubisoft.

I've bought Shadow of Mordor a few weeks ago. It's great but not perfect, the game needs more tits IMO.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
See... This is why I don't care about Ubisolft anymore. This game came out of nowhere and walked all over the last version of Assassin's Creed's body.... that was yet to be released.

Epic fail Ubisoft.

I've bought Shadow of Mordor a few weeks ago. It's great but not perfect, the game needs more tits IMO.

It's MIDDLE EARTH, dude, not Westeros:lolz:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The second half is far more entertaining than the first half- you get powers that even things out quite a lot, and you also don't have to do things quite how the game tells you to- let's just say that starting an Orc civil war/riot and then wading into the center of it (with roughly half of the Orcs on your side, including War Chiefs and Captains) is far more enjoyable than having to take every little thing step-by-step.

Game also has one of the best trophy/achievement lists in a long time- it encourages you to exploit the Nemesis system in pretty much every possible way.

Yeah, SoM was fantastic. It and Bayonetta 2 are far and away my two favorite games of the year.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
The game is really amazing from what I've played so far. My only real complaint with the game is the melee combat is kinda button mashy and blah. I wish they would have had something more akin to Dynasty Warriors where different light and strong buttons create different chains with many different finishers.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
So you didn't like the Batman Arkham games? Because this is basically the same thing, and it's by and large considered the gold standard for group melee combat nowadays.

And furthermore, once you get the options to quick kill, group stun, dominate, pin enemies, roll and once they start mixing different enemy types in that require different strategies to counter and defeat, it only gets better.

And once you have 15 runes and your character is buffed, it's really stellar.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
I got it on PS4 during Black Friday weekend, but its being used as one of my Christmas gifts sooooooo I gotta wait. But I am excited to play it.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
So you didn't like the Batman Arkham games? Because this is basically the same thing, and it's by and large considered the gold standard for group melee combat nowadays.

And furthermore, once you get the options to quick kill, group stun, dominate, pin enemies, roll and once they start mixing different enemy types in that require different strategies to counter and defeat, it only gets better.

And once you have 15 runes and your character is buffed, it's really stellar.

I did, but I felt the same way with that one. The combat just got to be a bit too samey. Doesn't mean it wasn't fun and I didn't enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to opening up new skills to see what else can be done combat was. I've gained all of the non-story related skills up to tier 2.

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
I've been interested in this game since it first came out, but just haven't had time to pick it up. However, I did mention it to my wife as something I wouldn't mind getting for Christmas, so with any luck I'll find it under the tree come the 25th. Either way, I'm definitely planning on picking this up sometime soon.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Have it on PS4 and liked it also. It's like Arkham City with out a grappling hook for easy getaways.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I would actually like to hear more about the lore part that Taiso brought up. From a LotR fan's point of view, how in-depth and fleshed out is the lore, Tolkien's world, and the story's relevance to Frodo's events. I absolutely love the universe and would like to feel good that the comparisons. To the Arkham series are not only in gameplay but also in material reference (they did a great job with historical facts throughout the comic history)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I would actually like to hear more about the lore part that Taiso brought up. From a LotR fan's point of view, how in-depth and fleshed out is the lore, Tolkien's world, and the story's relevance to Frodo's events. I absolutely love the universe and would like to feel good that the comparisons. To the Arkham series are not only in gameplay but also in material reference (they did a great job with historical facts throughout the comic history)

It may surprise you to learn this, but Middle Earth is not one of my subjects of nerd expertise. So I can't say that the lore is 100% faithful to the original works.

There are some things I'm pretty certain are creations specifically for the games, such as Graugs (like rancors from Star Wars) and Caragors (like armored saber tooth tigers). If these things exist in Middle Earth apart from the game, I don't know about them. The legendary weapons and how you acquire their powers may or may not exist in Middle Earth lore.

But there are other references and uses that I know come from the lore, such as the Istari, the orc and uruk social dynamics, the Black Gate and many references to who controlled it and when. The game also uses Gollum directly, and Celebrimbor (the elf that forged the rings of power) is a central character to the storyline. There are also many artifacts to find that, I'm certain, reference a lot of the Middle Earth lore. Gil-Galad is mentioned as well.

At any rate, the game uses the movie setting for its visual look and general interpretation of characters and events that appear or are referenced in both. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that it borrows from Middle Earth much in the same way that the Arkham games borrowed from the Batman mythology. That is, uses them in order to tell a story that parallels the source material but may not necessarily be written to fit into any canonical structure.

The game is NOT a 'LOTR' game. It just happens to take place in the same world. It was the right way to go.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Just a heads up, if anyone's interested: I have a 20% discount code for Shadow of Mordor (valid through the 15th) via Green Man Games that I really don't need. If anyone wants it, gratis, just shoot me a pm. Game on guys :)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Just beat this game with all the side missions completed. Didn't do all the trophies and some of my runes are a little underpowered, but it didn't matter because by the end of the game I was still wrecking everything I came across.

Totally worth tie time and money I put into this game.

So goddamn satisfying.

This is one of the few games where I can say that not only would I welcome DLC to add more to the storyline, but I'd day one it.

Thoroughly enjoyable game in every way.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
I'm all but ignoring AAA gaming, however some of the things I'm hearing about LotR:SoM are really interesting, specifically the "brainwashing" aspect, which leads to unexpectedly-good, organic storytelling, made up from purely procedurally-created elements in the game; such as Yatzee's story about "Legend of Khosh the Drunk" in his article: "Shadow of Mordor Storytelling in a Middle earth Game". There's other simallarly compelling stories in the article's comment section from other players' experiences, all of which were procedurally-derived, as well.

Do you guys have similar stories?

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Do you guys have similar stories?
First off, I just bought this for the second time, on XB1, after already finishing it on PS4. It's the second game I can remember, ever, to make me turn around and buy it on a second system to replay again right away (the other being Fight Night Round 4, of all things). Also bought the Lord of the Hunt DLC. Started into it the other night and it's still fun as hell.

To answer the question- the powers can completely change the way you approach the game, if you want them to. To explain- you have to beat four Warchiefs in the first half of the game, and then the second half starts. Beating those guys is hard- they have random immunities, weaknesses, etc, and you don't have too many perks, etc. yet (probably). And you definitely don't have the power to dominate other orcs or captains. And for every single one, you have to complete some task at the WC's fortress before you can draw the guy out- might be "Stealth kill 6 Uruk without being spotted" or "Kill the Warchief's bodyguards" or "Kill all archers" or "Kill 15 Uruk in 2 minutes" So, anyway, beating those guys took some work.

Then, you get the power to dominate pretty soon after that. You get four new WCs that are much more powerful than the first four were, with better combinations of immunities and strengths. And you still get the lists of do this, do that to get a WC to formally fight you... or you can just use your dominated Uruk WC (that you get via story) to start little civil wars, then show up at the fight, and jump in yourself and make short work of the other WC. I did that to every single WC on the list for the second half of the game. After I had done the first two that way, my guy and his bodyguards were so powerful that my only concern was that they would get the final hit on the WC instead of me getting the proper execution-style hit to kill the guy.

Pretty fun to be able to take advantage of the game's systems to play it exactly how it was meant to be played to avoid the most annoying part of the game.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Just a heads up this game is on sale at BB for $20. If you are a member there, 20% off extra brings it down to $16. Wow.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
That was a great review Taiso, so +1.

But I would have to say I found this game harder and more frustrating than Bloodborne, which sounds nuts, I know. Taking on some of those huge crowds of orcs and uruks while fighting a captain that has multiple immunities can be tough as nails. I sort of stopped playing because it was kicking my ass.