Games that hooked you to the NGPC

What games did you love on the NGPC?
I gotta say my fav was SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters. It was so much fun, I spent so many hours playing and collecting all the cards in both versions. Makes me wish there was actual SvC cards.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Dark Arms is always a strong recommendation as well as MotM.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
It was MOTM and Puyo Pop for me.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
None yet if with "hooked" you mean "can't get off that Screen" - I usually use the ngpc for short Bursts of play. (yes I said "short bursts")
If you just mean that Appeal to me then Big Tournament Golf and MotM

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Dark Arms was great. I collected all the monsters and I still love playing it once and awhile.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I have spent the most time playing Match of the Millennium and Card Fighters; those are probably the only two games I have played for more than a few hours in one sitting. A lot of the other games I have put a lot of time into, but I was never hooked.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
It was MOTM and Puyo Pop for me.

amen brother! motm is a fantastic handheld fighter, and puyo pop was my first entry into the series, which has gone on to become my personal favorite puzzle series. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised with Neo Turf Masters and Pocket tennis. I hate/never play sports games but there is something about those two that I absolutely love, could be how easy they are to just pick up and play. I highly recommend them to anyone who has an ngpc, whether you like sports games or not.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
amen brother! motm is a fantastic handheld fighter, and puyo pop was my first entry into the series, which has gone on to become my personal favorite puzzle series.

I've played some of the previous Puyo games before Puyo Pop but this kind of games is just perfect for a handled. This version was pretty damn good too with the voices and all :buttrock:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure.

I'm a Sonic fan, and Pocket Adventure is my favorite handheld game in the series.

I also really dig the Metal Slug series, so 1st Mission and 2nd Mission were two of the first games I got for the system.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I gotta admit that I've never owned a NGPC

I'm going to get one some time next year and play some of the games.

BTW, how's battery life on the system, I'm used to the Nomad and Turbo Express which destroy batteries in no time.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I gotta admit that I've never owned a NGPC

I'm going to get one some time next year and play some of the games.

BTW, how's battery life on the system, I'm used to the Nomad and Turbo Express which destroy batteries in no time.
40+ hours on two AAs.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
the SNK vs Capcom games. Particularly card fighters.

Tried getting into Card Fighters 2 but just couldn't for some reason

the SNK vs Capcom games. Particularly card fighters.

Yeah same here for Card Fighters 2, I don't remember if it was the gameplay that changed that I didn't like.... but I could be thinking of Card Fighters DS.
Was Card Fighters 2 Japan only?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
im really pretty sure that i have logged more hours into CFC than i have any other game ever, other than ultima online back in the day. i had an 80+ hour file, lost it then surprisingly to my own self, racked up another 80+ hour file again. im pretty sure i can never get sick of that game.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
CFC got me hooked, MOTM, NTM, LB, Gals Fighters & Dark Arms continued the fun.
Can't wait to try more games on this kickass handheld... even though I already have a bunch ^^

Makes me wish there was actual SvC cards.
check this out: www.cardfighterproject.com

Was Card Fighters 2 Japan only?
Sadly, yes. But there is an English translation that Flavor and a few others made. You can either play it on your NGPC with a flashcard or via emulator. Check this, this and maybe this.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm OK with the addition of reaction cards and the "improved graphics" are not too bad (I liked the old syle (top down, walking "freely") a lot better though)... the story is also very strange/whacked out.
They should've just added more cards and a new (but simple) story to the 1st entry ^^

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
They actually released them Card Fighters cards as TCG. But in Japan only AFAIK.

capcom.jpg

snk.jpg

action.jpg

crares.jpg

Last edited:
Sonic Pocket Adventure, better than any Sonic game not being on the Sega Genesis, IMHO. Such a shame there was no sequel.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I loved KOF R-2 (the game I bought with my NGPC in the summer of 1999), but, like most, I got completely hooked by Card Fighters Clash and MOTM once they came out.

That said, I also put WAY too much time into Biomotor Unitron and Neo Turf Masters.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
neo geo cup '98.

holy shit i couldn't stop playing that. still cant.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Card Fighters for me as well, though I did play a ton of Samurai Shodown and Puzzle Bobble Mini when I owned the B&W system.

But I was really pushed over the edge with Card Fighters. Pretty much played it until I had an almost unbeatable deck. I actually used to play it a lot in the back of the classroom in college. The pad was too clicky to play fighting games in class.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
It was Sonic for me. I bought a NGPC on UK release day (from memory I think it was £59.99 for the console, bargain!) and got Sonic to go with it. I was already a huge Sonic fan, so having such a great port on the go was amazing at the time.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
They actually released them Card Fighters cards as TCG. But in Japan only AFAIK.

capcom.jpg

snk.jpg

action.jpg

crares.jpg

I coulda sworn someone was selling SNK trading cards in the forums a few years ago. Nice collection but no takers.