Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Android and Linux Handhelds - Shield, GCW Zero, GP2X, Pandora, Pyra, JXD, etc.

Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong

Funny this should get bumped, I'm actually waiting for UPS to bring me a GPD XD today. I knew the XD+ was coming but I'm impatient.

I got tired of dicking around with Pi handhelds that had various issues, so when I was pricing out parts to build a new one I got north of $100 and thought "Why not just buy a GPD with a better screen and more power?"

This thing is fucking badass.

!!

Nice!

I have been eyeing a GPD XD, and I might go for the Plus model when it's available.

The built in emulators and software was complete garbage, Super Mario World was very laggy. I loaded the Legacy rom which is basically stock Android with Google Play and loaded my own emulators. It's great now that I have it (mostly) configured.

NAM-75 Vet

Nice Gohan. How is the Dpad on the thing for fighting games? I have the GPD win and love it but the dpad is awful for fighting games. Even with that I would highly rexommend the GPD Win. I might pick up a XD if the dpad isany good.

The dpad is good for most games, but not fighters. I can't get supers out reliably. I've actually been playing Match of the Millennium using the analog stick, since there isn't much movement it works fairly well.

NAM-75 Vet

Ok, thanks. I figured as much. I do the same thing with fighters using the analogue on the gpd win. Kinda silly but it works like you said. I guess it's the same dpad and membranes used for both handhelds. Glad you're enjoying it.

I also found a plastic grip thing that is made for the New 3ds xl but fits this thing perfectly, it lets me play for a long time without old man Arthur bothering me. I need to trim some plastic on the top though since it covers up the headphone jack.

Armored Scrum Object

From the maker of Raspiboy comes the RetroStone - now on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...gaming-console

Seems people didn't like having to assemble the raspiboy themselves, so this one is shipped out completed. Also, it's considerably more powerful than the raspberry pi zero (the pi board used in the raspiboy).

I have no reason to get one now, but I do like the original game boy styling.

Interesting, but I don't think I'm going to dick with Pi handhelds anymore until they stop dicking around with shitty composite screens.

Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Interesting, but I don't think I'm going to dick with Pi handhelds anymore until they stop dicking around with shitty composite screens.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by Igakajook View Post
    From the maker of Raspiboy comes the RetroStone - now on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...gaming-console

Seems people didn't like having to assemble the raspiboy themselves, so this one is shipped out completed. Also, it's considerably more powerful than the raspberry pi zero (the pi board used in the raspiboy).

I have no reason to get one now, but I do like the original game boy styling.
    I got one of his Raspiboy's and was disappointed in it. The video on the thing was composite and blurry as fuck. This one looks better but meh. I did back Gameshell though and am looking forward to that one. Supposed to be shipping this April. The specs say its RGB...we'll see.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...o-game-console
    Last edited by pixeljunkie; 02-27-2018 at 12:03 PM.

I backed the Gameshell too. It's cheap enough to take a chance.

The thing that bugs me with the Pi handhelds is that they can very easily use a 480p HDMI screen, they just don't because it's a little more expensive. With 480p the emulators would line double, and you could either add a soft filter or light scanlines and it would look great.

Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.

It's definitely composite - hard pass

https://youtu.be/XiU5Qrq4T0o

Composite wouldn't even be so bad but the screens are just awful. I put a composite screen in my Game Gear once and it looked pretty darn good, but I don't have the foggiest idea what kind it was.

Thread Information