Android and Linux Handhelds - Shield, GCW Zero, GP2X, Pandora, Pyra, JXD, etc.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Well I am a fucking sucker, and I pre-ordered the Pyra. I realize that it's a very high price point, Android devices will be able to match and probably surpass in emulation (my Shield portable and tablet probably will), and it doesn't look very sleek or cool. I'm just a sucker for anything cyberpunk, and this is exactly what I've been envisioning having since I was little: a portable computer with full qwerty keyboard. I also work in netsec and it will be awesome doing a pentest, having my laptops and phones taken away, and then whip out my 3DS looking thing and go to work.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Well I am a fucking sucker, and I pre-ordered the Pyra. I realize that it's a very high price point, Android devices will be able to match and probably surpass in emulation (my Shield portable and tablet probably will), and it doesn't look very sleek or cool. I'm just a sucker for anything cyberpunk, and this is exactly what I've been envisioning having since I was little: a portable computer with full qwerty keyboard. I also work in netsec and it will be awesome doing a pentest, having my laptops and phones taken away, and then whip out my 3DS looking thing and go to work.

I can't argue with your reasoning - I have bought things for less reasons

Never thought of it being cyberpunk, but looking at it again thinking that, I can totally understand the coolness

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I would think that OMAP3 processors might have fallen enough in price for EvilDragon to do a cheaper run of original Pandora consoles.

The Pyra looks like nice hardware, but I can't imagine it will have a fraction of the developer or user base that Pandora did.

I don't see it attracting attention like the Pandora did years ago. Even in 2008, Pandora was teased to be able to emulate Dreamcast.

What will the Pyra do that the Pandora couldn't? Probably actually run Dreamcast acceptably, which, as we've already mentioned, Android devices can already do. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K66AE-j5W2g <-Here's the Pandora running Dreamcast in 2014, a year after the Shield Portable was released and doing the same thing in full speed with sound.)

PS2? Gamecube? Xbox? No way.

The move from 480p to 720p will be nice for native applications but a step backward for console emulation.

The array of sensors ("GPS, a 6-axis digital compass, a pressure-, humidity- and gas -sensor.") is interesting, but their utility for most applications is hard to fathom. Again, most Android devices already have GPS and multi-axis directional sensors.

The "market" just doesn't seem right for the Pyra. It looks like, simultaneously, "too much" hardware and "too little" of an upgrade over the predecessor device.

I still wish ED success. I hope you get a lot of joy out of the device, team_andromeda. I hope the gas sensor saves your life in a scenario that's Batman-as-hell.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Ship, hopefully.

Ha!

It should since EvilDragon isn't dealing with Craig now, plus learned from past mistakes. I still think the price point is rediculous, for what it is. Hopefully better build quality than the Pandora.

geise

Mickey's Coach
EDIT: double post, cause my work internet sucks. My excuse anyways.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Ship, hopefully.

FABC.jpg

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The latest OTA update for the portable fucked up some stuff for me. I'm getting app optimization every time I boot and the start button only *sometimes* registers...

Nvidia has put out a couple of new OTA updates (106 and 110) that fixed these issues, along with the erratic volume problem. For some reason 110 didn't show up as an OTA on my shield, so I had to flash the recovery image to my device manually.

Without android dev experience, I had a hell of a time getting fastboot and adb going on my Windows 7 laptop, but everything is good now.

As a bug fix for lollipop, 110 will probably be the final software version for the original Shield Portable. Posting this as a PSA for anyone else who didn't have 110 show up as an OTA.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I remember the official relase of Reicast, r6, as having weird artifacting in a lot of 2d fighters.

I just checked up on some of those games using the latest ci build.

Some games, like MvC2 and CvS, still have the issue:

CvS.jpegMvC2.jpeg

Third Strike and CvS2, on the other hand, look great!

CvS2.jpegThirdStrike.jpeg

They all run smoothly without frameskip on the Shield Handheld. Not sure why some Naomi-based ports would have the issue while CvS2 doesn't.

-SD-

Camel Slug
I started looking into the GPD XD earlier on this evening.... and I'm very impressed by what I'm seeing. I've always loved my handhelds ever since the original Gameboy so playing on a smaller screen doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I've played the majority of U games on the gamepad screen with no problems and I'd like a Vita.

So, with all the messing around with scart leads and switches, Everdrives, Framemeister settings, my failing eyesight and wanting to just play games without fucking around.... I can feel a mass clearout coming on. I've just about had enough of it all and I dread to think how much potential cash I have tied up in what's sat on my shelf. I'll always keep the AES and CD, but I reckon everything else can go, except probably the Dreamcast.

On the more legitimate side, I'm actually surprised by what is available on PSN for the Vita in terms of PSone and PSP software. And the Vita seems to have enough good games of its own anyway.

Anyway, apologies for the rambling. I reckon the GPD XD sounds like a good plan....

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member

I think the Pyra is DOA, considering it's going to be ~$100 more than the GPD Win. Even the "Open Handheld" appeal probably won't win people over. Linux virtualisation already works on the Win, and it's just a matter of time before someone flashes a custom distro to it.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Sorry for chain posting like this.

Sexy as hell. I'm getting one.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I have to say after watching that last video there, for that price I'm quite interested in that Arduboy having gone to their website a moment ago. That looks really fun and fits in such a small space too, and with the expansion options of more things to do on it it would keep it interesting yet so basic it's very pick up and play friendly.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member

So much cool shit landing while I was watching politics.

mltv

n00b
I have a couple of GPD XD's, and they are awesome. I bought them to run the normal emulators (snes, n64, etc.) that you would expect a haldheld to run. But I was surprised that it can emulate psx, psp go, dreamcast, etc. Anyway, I got them very cheap, and am amazed by them, and the firmware - outside of including the emulators and ROMS - are preconfigured to work with the GPD keys/buttons. I had to do very modifications to any of the default settings.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
How is the d-pad on the GPD XD? I have a JXD tablet from a few years ago (forget the model, 7 inch screen) and the d-pad on it is horrible. On top of being a bit mushy it's just too large which makes it useless for fighters.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Thinking of ordering a GPD XD. Any of you guys picked one up?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Thinking of ordering a GPD XD. Any of you guys picked one up?

Bumping this because I was eyeballing the GPD XD today as well. Curious what others here thought of it

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm curious as well. I have my JXD and I like it a lot, but I mostly use it to play non fighting games, the D-pad is just not great for me, also the buttons aren't all that great, the GPX XD looks the part, there seems to be a 32GB and a 64GB, the 64GB being red, seems like there's no real advantage getting the 64GB which is more money to begin with but then again you can just get a microSD card and you'll be all set. Controls look real good, I hope it's decent 'cause that's the sole reason I'm looking into it.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Exactly. I've been toying around with a raspiboy I got off Kickstarter and it's cool but I feel like an Android handheld would be better.