Android and Linux Handhelds - Shield, GCW Zero, GP2X, Pandora, Pyra, JXD, etc.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I went ahead and ordered one of these after seeing this thread and some Youtube vids.

Ordered it from Amazon with Prime and should have it tomorrow!

http://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Cons...d+s7800b&pebp=1421273113526&peasin=B00M58TVI2

yeah, it's a bit more than ordering it from one of the HK sellers, but it's fulfilled from Amazon, so no fucking around with slow boat shipping.

It's the newer version with 16gigs of internal storage.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Can you post up a video or if running Dreamcast? Maybe some JSR?

I loaded loaded the Dreamcast version of JSR, but didn't try it yet due to having issues installing the Android port of the game. I want to do a comparison of both. When I get a chance I'll try to shoot a video of it running.

I went ahead and ordered one of these after seeing this thread and some Youtube vids.

Ordered it from Amazon with Prime and should have it tomorrow!

http://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Cons...d+s7800b&pebp=1421273113526&peasin=B00M58TVI2

yeah, it's a bit more than ordering it from one of the HK sellers, but it's fulfilled from Amazon, so no fucking around with slow boat shipping.

It's the newer version with 16gigs of internal storage.

It's actually a decent price and I've heard the price is going up. No nonsense shipping is also a plus.

Here are some things I would recommend:

• On your JXD system, you will already have emulators loaded, but not fully installed on their own. While the Happy Chick emulator works, I recommend installing them when you get it (via Emulator Shop). If you run the games off of the Happy Chick/Game Center game loader, there will be an option to use "Legacy Emulators".

• Retroarch is a good emulator to use with the existing Cores for emulators. The PSX emulator works very well out of the box, but I find MAME/FBA work better on Retroarch.

• FBA that's preloaded wont work on its own and requires you to run Happy Chick to use it. Look online for the older .apk of FBA (1.6) and load it up.

• On Retroarch, turn of detect controls, turn off screen controls, and then go to Input binding to set the controls for the emulator. This bit of information will save you some headaches. I've yet to screw with the control mapping feature of the system. They make it look easy, but it can screw up controls for MAME/FBA in a pinch.

If you screw something up in Happy Chick, you can always revert controls and the program to its original state.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Awesome advice.

Just watched this video:

With the Exception of the PSP games, it seems to run everything else really smoothly.

Damn, gonna need a hell of a lot bigger SD card to put in it for all the romz. Especially for the isoz.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Thanks for the tips on Retroarch. I've been dicking around with my Ouya, and a lot of the software is the same, but I completely gave up on Retroarch because the damn UI is the worst shit ever. It's a shame since it has better more updated cores than the individual emulator apps.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Probably going to have to send this JXD S7800b back. Screen has a couple bad spots in it under the protective film. :(

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Weak, but it's good you spent a few extra bones to get it from Amazon, now you have no worries.

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Todd, send it back and get another one. There have been reports of some screen issues. Also, make sure that the version you're getting is the S7800b and not the original s7800.

Darius Burst (PSP version) ran smooth on my s7800.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Alright, I just ordered one using the same link that Yodd posted, and it will be here tomorrow. I went with Amazon because if I don't like this thing then I want to be able to return it with ease. But I've been looking for a handheld emulation device like this for a while now and it certainly looks like this will fit the bill.

OMFG, do you know if you can take screenshots from within any of the emulators?

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
How's the SNES emulation, Particularly with special chip games? I ask because a friend of mine got an Nvidia Shield, which emulated everything great, -except- that. Ran Mame, FBA, N64, etc, etc, and most SNES stuff was fine. But things like Mega Man X3 crashed it nearly instantly, requiring a hard reset everytime. I know that's not the device you're using, but it's the same emulator, as far as I understand!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I can't speak for the handheld, but Starfox runs perfectly on my Ouya. The SNES emulator does have the slightest bit of input lag but it's imperceptible in most games that aren't Super Mario World.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Alright, I just ordered one using the same link that Yodd posted, and it will be here tomorrow. I went with Amazon because if I don't like this thing then I want to be able to return it with ease. But I've been looking for a handheld emulation device like this for a while now and it certainly looks like this will fit the bill.

OMFG, do you know if you can take screenshots from within any of the emulators?

Item arrived today and is DOA out of the box. If I touch the touchscreen, it goes crazy registering touches all over the place. Amazon shipped it in a tiny-ass box that only had enough padding to stop it from sliding laterally but provided no protection to the unit itself. And what are the chances that UPS didn't drop it at least once? So it could have been that or it could have been that the unit is just defective.

I have to say though that I am more satisfied with the build quality than I thought I would be, and the screen looks really nice. I'll order another because I would like to be able to judge the unit on it's merits before I make up my mind, rather than just throwing in the towel because my unit arrived busted.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That sucks jibs. I got mine from fleabay 'cause I didn't know any better, I have everything mailed to a PO BOX but the seller sent me an email asking me if I wanted DHL for extra charge, I didn't 'cause all them private carriers don't deliver to po boxes. Lame. I hope mine arrives in good shape, I hate to resort to paypal if shit goes wrong.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Update: So it turns out that the unit is not broken. It's just a "feature" that you can't use it while the unit is plugged in to the charger or as I said previously, the screen registers shitloads of phantom touches when you touch it. I found a thread somewhere on the web where someone suggested that it could be because the AC adapter is shitty, or it could be because the screen is shitty quality. Screen seems nice to me, so I don't know.

So anyway, I'll play with it for a while. Amazon has a 30-day return policy. I do have the same shit that Yodd was complaining about. There are little bubbles in the screen protector because there are what looks like specs of dust underneath.

My extremely limited impression of this thing so far is that it is pretty cool in principle but would be greatly improved by some quality control. It's the little things like the screen bubbles, the screen issue when plugged in, and not being able to charge the unit via the USB cable that kind of drag it down from being as cool as it could and should be.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
So how is battery life in this things?

I've been using the Xperia Play for portable emulation (works flawlessly emulating anything up to the PS1) and I was pretty satisfied with its battery life, especially when emulating 8-16bit systems with a lower performance governor.

Been thinking lately of upgrading to a more powerful system and form factor and battery life are my greatest concerns. Was going to go for the JXD S5110b, which had the PSVita form and round buttons, but I've read battery life is horrible.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Got my JXD and I must of gotten super lucky 'cause I got no problems whatsoever, I can charge while playing, no screen defects, no ac issues. Got mine through egay with the slow shipping, I was kinda worried after reading the previous posts but I'm just fortunate none of that stuff happened to me. D-Pad is not horrible but is not amazing either, it's better than PSP D-Pad but not better than the Nintendo Handheld D-Pad. Imagine when the PSVita D-Pad tech comes to this...woo! That's when I'll get me another.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Yeah I think my issue might be the AC adapter, and not the unit itself. These are REALLY shitty AC adapters. The shit with the screen kind of sucks but it's not like I can see it when the unit is turned on. Just annoying to see such obviously shitty quality control.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I agree with the AC being shitty, this one gets warm, not hot but warmer than usual.

Anyway, what are you guys doing for emulation on this? This came with an emulator store and had games already, so I haven't done anything yet other than that but I'm wondering if there are better emulators for it out there, any recommends?

The thing came with PSP, NES, SNES, MD, PSX, N64. Each emu had a couple roms to test with, all the games work well, even PSP Darius Burst works pretty decent but a bit choppy, I'm sure it can be changed in the settings but I haven't fucked around enough yet.

Last edited:

PublicEnemy

Cheng's Errand Boy
I agree with the AC being shitty, this one gets warm, not hot but warmer than usual.

Anyway, what are you guys doing for emulation on this? This came with an emulator store and had games already, so I haven't done anything yet other than that but I'm wondering if there are better emulators for it out there, any recommends?

The thing came with PSP, NES, SNES, MD, PSX, N64. Each emu had a couple roms to test with, all the games work well, even PSP Darius Burst works pretty decent but a bit choppy, I'm sure it can be changed in the settings but I haven't fucked around enough yet.

It's pretty cool that the system is already pre loaded with the emulators and some games

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member

I've literally have been playing Einhänder for a month now on the system. I paired it with an HDMI out cable, instant portable PS1. Also, NGPC Match of the Millenium has been my go-to game while traveling.

I would download RetroArch off of the Play Store. Some of the emulators allow other customizable features on there.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Has anybody here tried uoYabause for their Android devices? I literally JUST found out about it a few minutes ago and I'm going to load it up on my Shield Portable when I get home from work. Hopefully this will give some others something to look forward to, lots of diff forums post quite a few games at 60fps and was running Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Saga well.