Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Android and Linux Handhelds - Shield, GCW Zero, GP2X, Pandora, Pyra, JXD, etc.

Bao's Babysitter

https://howchoo.com/g/odu2yjrjy2i/re...ry-pi-game-boy

Somebody buy this for my unbirthday when it comes out.
    Wish somebody would make something like this for the 3b+

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy

That looks pretty cool. Love the form factor of the OG GB.

Bao's Babysitter

Quote Originally Posted by fenikso View Post
    That looks pretty cool. Love the form factor of the OG GB.
    Me too, you know if space is a consideration people could make one out of the compute module 3.

Like this
    https://www.retromodding.com/collect...r-freeplay-cm3

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER

I placed an order for the LDK. I don't think it's actually going to perform better than my GPH Wiz or Caanoo, but the (proprietary) batteries are going on my Wiz and the analogue stick on the Caanoo is getting rubber rot.

It's weird that the progress made in the last ten years for pocketable linux consoles has mostly come in terms of getting the price down.
    Only Rot can judge me.

Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SML View Post
    I placed an order for the LDK. I don't think it's actually going to perform better than my GPH Wiz or Caanoo, but the (proprietary) batteries are going on my Wiz and the analogue stick on the Caanoo is getting rubber rot.

It's weird that the progress made in the last ten years for pocketable linux consoles has mostly come in terms of getting the price down.
    be sure to post your thoughts on it, I'm tempted to grab one as well

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER

I'm in the middle of crunch time, but I did get the LDK today and mess around a little bit.

I was able to replace the 16gb internal sdhc with a 32gb. I've read that the internal can't be an sdxc but I haven't tested it yet.

I have a 400gb sdxc in the mail to serve as the external. Might as well see how far I can push things. If it doesn't work out can always use more space on my shield portable.

I've flashed to the current full RetroFW.

Running SNES roms off the internal card with PocketSNES, I'm getting comparable/better performance than on my Wiz. There's only one speaker, but it's clear and loud. No screen tearing. Very nice picture. I can't really see any difference between the LDK screen and the OLED on my Wiz, in terms of black levels and vibrant colors.

I see what looks like a single speck of dust inside the case at the edge of the screen. I hope Incan blow that out when I rearrange the buttons to match the SNES layout. (The RetroFW interface is color coded in a way that seems to assume you'll swap the buttons.)

The D Pad is very good. Better than the shallow Wiz dpad. The shoulder buttons are more comfortable than you'd think. The face buttons feel a little small, but not out of place on the LDK body.

Right now I couldn't be much happier with it as a replacement for my old gp2x handhelds. I'll have a more detailed report in a few days.
    Only Rot can judge me.

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER

Quick family photo for comparison:
    20190507_202655.jpg

Edit: One more just to be overkill:

20190507_205710.jpg
    Last edited by SML; 05-07-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    Only Rot can judge me.

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER

My LDK does have a speck of dirt and a hair(?) under the screen. Please stop putting dusty pubes in my devices, Chinese factory workers.

At first I thought the dirt was a dead pixel, but you can see it clearly in the picture next to the Odroid Go. (Gotta love that battery in the Odroid.)

20190508_050509.jpg20190508_034712.jpg20190508_050912.jpg

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER

Quick performance test:

Again, I've only loaded SNES roms onto the LDK at the moment, so that's all I have for benchmarking, but under normal circumstances everything runs very close to 60fps. The title screen for Yoshi's Island tends to slow things down. So here's a quick comparison:

Wiz: DrPocketSNES (7.2.0 "Compatible") 0 frameskip, unscaled, mono sound 44.1 khz, overclocked to 770mhz= 34 fps

Caanoo: DrPocketSNES (Same version and settings as above.) = 37 fps

GP2X F100(B): (DrPocketSNES 7.2.0 "Fast." CPU overclock at 250mhz. Otherwise, same as above.) = 20 fps

LDK: PocketSNES (Mar 17 2019 Build) 0 frameskip, unscaled, mono sound 44.1 khz, overclocked to 702mhz = 37 fps

Bao's Babysitter

How could you possibly fill 400gb with retro roms? Does it run any kind of ISO's. Even if you loaded it up with all playable Pc Engine games, Sega Cd and cdz platform original (pretty sure Crossed Swords II and Ironbringer have rom hack versions these days) I cant picture them taking up more than 200gb.

I feel better now about my handheld obsession after seeing your linux collection.

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    How could you possibly fill 400gb with retro roms? Does it run any kind of ISO's. Even if you loaded it up with all playable Pc Engine games, Sega Cd and cdz platform original (pretty sure Crossed Swords II and Ironbringer have rom hack versions these days) I cant picture them taking up more than 200gb.

I feel better now about my handheld obsession after seeing your linux collection.
    Amiga, PSX, DOS... Some emus on here I don't recognize.
    Only Rot can judge me.

I've gotten a chance to load up my GCW Zero with ROMs, and I'm really blown away. My intent for it is to have essentially every pre-DS/PSP portable game worth playing with me when I travel, and this thing really does the trick. There are very strange design choices in some of the emulators, like OhBoy requiring a flick of the power switch to enter the options menu, but the performance seems near-flawless. I think the low res, 320x224 screen is a key factor for both battery life and the games looking "right." Even at that resolution, the Game Boy games need to scale quite a bit to avoid playing them in a tiny window.

edit: Frankly I wish the 3DS Virtual Console would have been more fully realized, as I'd prefer to support the developers and publishers, but I guess that's neither here nor there now. Maybe someday they'll want my money again.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 05-09-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Bao's Babysitter

New releases for the bitboy3 and rs-97
    Can't tell much of a difference for the Bitboy but the rs-97 has massive upgrades.
    Some decent YouTube videos on it.

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER

The initial "rs-97 plus" release had such serious hardware problems that the community devs blacklisted it. They've fixed those?
    Last edited by SML; 05-09-2019 at 06:10 PM.
    Only Rot can judge me.

Bao's Babysitter

Quote Originally Posted by SML View Post
    The initial "rs-97 plus" release had such serious hardware problems that the community devs blacklisted it. They've fixed those?
    I dunno, sounds like a legit question.
    Here's a video on the upgrades;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEN1KVdslbk&t

Thread Information