The 1991 game selection - Your favorites?

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Alpha Mission II is underrated imo, it's interesting to see SNK's take on the caravan shooter which was a really popular genre at the time. I'd go with that

Fantastic game and one of my favorites.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
If I had to fill a 4-slot then my list would be...

Alpha Mission II
League Bowling
Fatal Fury
Thrash Rally

Would then add 2020 Super Baseball and Sengoku if I had a 6-slot.

Absolutely this.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
It's sort of unfair to group the quiz and mahjong titles into "shitty games", because people outside Japan were never the intended target audience in the first place.

I never said the quiz and mahjong titles were shitty.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
It's sort of unfair to group the quiz and mahjong titles into "shitty games", because people outside Japan were never the intended target audience in the first place.

A quiz video game is shitty no matter how you slice it.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Crossed Swords
League Bowling
Super Baseball 2020

I hope that conversion of crossed swords II that razoola is doing turns out right.

Last edited:

JLZ

Rugal's Thug
Thrash Rally. My favorite racing game, along with Power Drive Rally on the jag

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Its got to be Super Baseball 2020 and Fatal Fury from that list. The other games are shite.

Hmm... I think out of that list I would have to go with Alpha Mission II mainly because I love shmups and Fatal Fury because why not.

XiTaU

n00b
2020 baseball was a stape part of my childhood so was king of monsters.
My adulthood introduced me to thrash rally and far from being perfect it is a fun little game i love alot.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I'm going to go play some Burning Fight right now, because fuck you guys.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I like Burning Fight, 8 Man, Alpha Mission 2, Ghosts Pilots, Crossed Swords, Sengoku probably a few others I forgot. I don't give a shit what people think of these games. Because you half to recognize these are still 110% better than 3/4 of the games that get by quality today. Majority of games today are a sad pile of steaming poo.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I think it's been long enough since the last one. Same deal as before, pick your favorite titles from 1991.

I think the shitty games are actually worse compared to 1990, but the good games are pretty decent. The most notable release was Fatal Fury, it was the first fighting game on Neo Geo and set the stage for the most saturated genre on the entire console.

Alpha Mission II
Burning Fight
Crossed Swords
Eight Man
Fatal Fury
Ghost Pilots
King of the Monsters
League Bowling
Legend of Success Joe
Mahjong Bakatonosama Manyuki
Quest of Jong Master
Quiz Daisousa Sen
Robo Army
Sengoku
Super Baseball 2020
Thrash Rally

On that list, my favorite games are Fatal Fury, King of the Monsters and Thrash Rally.

I think it was a pretty good year in terms of variety - plenty of different genres and the quite a few decent titles.
I don't know anything about Mahjong Bakatonosama Manyuki, Quest of Jong Mastera and Quiz Daisousa Sen but pretty much all of the remaining games are IMHO still fun to play (obviously some more than others, but in my book even something like Legend of Success Joe is still worth the occassional credit).

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Sengoku, still bat-shit crazy nearly 25 years later.

Crossed Swords... ALL HAIL SATAN GOAT.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Burning Fight, cuz it blows, or at least the hobo does.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Doubting between Sengoku and Burning fight. They both have their ups and downs. If you take the best of both games and mix it up in one, you would probably end up with one of the best beat'em-ups on the system. Offcourse the hobo's have to be in it.

Metal-Willis

Super Sidekicks 2
The original list of games was very nice (for that time). It showed a nice diverse selection of games for the Neo-Geo arcade experience.

I don't have it anymore but I say League Bowling. They made bowling extremely fun to play and that itself is a tough thing to do, especially for people who typically don't like bowling.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
A quiz video game is shitty no matter how you slice it.

Buzz games for the Playstation didn't.
Easily banged a couple of chicks using that Music quiz :tickled:

Quizzes for the Neo wouldn't get me the same result ;)

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
I enjoy Crossed Swords, Burning Fight, Sengoku and Thrash Rally though my favorite of the bunch would have to be Robo Army. The clanking of metal on metal is just so satisfying.

chrd

n00b
Crossed Swords
League Bowling
Robo Army

Although I do like the tunes of Alpha Mission II as well.

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
My favorite games are Fatal Fury and Burning Fight.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Definitely Fatal Fury. I had a great time playing through the game "co-op" with a friend, taking turns on rounds and occasionally ganking a tough enemy and then each other to advance to the next fight. Geese Howard took us a while to figure out, so it was immensely satisfying to beat the game by kicking him out the window of a high rise building, Die Hard style.