The 1991 game selection - Your favorites?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I think it's been long enough since the last one. Same deal as before, pick your favorite titles from 1991.

I think the shitty games are actually worse compared to 1990, but the good games are pretty decent. The most notable release was Fatal Fury, it was the first fighting game on Neo Geo and set the stage for the most saturated genre on the entire console.

Alpha Mission II
Burning Fight
Crossed Swords
Eight Man
Fatal Fury
Ghost Pilots
King of the Monsters
League Bowling
Legend of Success Joe
Mahjong Bakatonosama Manyuki
Quest of Jong Master
Quiz Daisousa Sen
Robo Army
Sengoku
Super Baseball 2020
Thrash Rally

On that list, my favorite games are Fatal Fury, King of the Monsters and Thrash Rally.

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
Alpha Mission II is underrated imo, it's interesting to see SNK's take on the caravan shooter which was a really popular genre at the time. I'd go with that, Fatal Fury, Super Baseball 2020, and Thrash Rally (which kinda became obsolete after Neo Driftout but it was good for it's time)

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
From your list, I think I'd choose Fatal Fury and League Bowling, I just loved that game haha.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Crossed Swords. Still good.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Crossed Swords. Still good.

This game was never on arcades at my place, it was like 10 years later when I was able to play it. A pity I couldn't see it when it was new and prolly due to this time gap the game was "passable" to me. It was interesting but not my cup of tea.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
League Bowling is easily my favorite of the bunch. I like Crossed Swords, Thrash Rally, and Ghost Pilots, but they're all deeply flawed.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Super Baseball 2020 is my pick of the bunch, actually. Neo sports games are really the only ones I like, and I play SB2020 regularly (that and Baseball Stars 2).

I also think that Alpha Mission II is a fantastic shmup. (I love the original too, particularly the NES port.) Crossed Swords is no slouch, either.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Picked up Alpha Mission II not long ago and was pleasantly surprised. Its simple but fun.

Also, Crossed Swords and Sengoku would be on there as well.

mikey

Marked Wolf
Out of those choices, probably Fatal Fury, Ghost Pilots, and... maybe I'm crazy... Burning Fight.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I have very vivid memories of playing King of the Monsters and thinking "This is like Rampage on crack." I am pretty sure I first played it at the 59th Street arcade in the Franklin Mills Mall when it opened here in Philly.

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
I have a soft spot for Crossed Swords. Found an MVS cart of this game at a thrift shop in Brussels recently. Picked it up for € 40. Not really cheap but those days are over I guess..
Other than that I like Super Baseball 2020, just because I like baseball games on the Neo :-)

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
If I had to fill a 4-slot then my list would be...

Alpha Mission II
League Bowling
Fatal Fury
Thrash Rally

Would then add 2020 Super Baseball and Sengoku if I had a 6-slot.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
2020 super baseball was and still is my most played cart.... roboarmy was another fave for me

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Sengoku was the first Neo-Geo game I ever played, so I'll always be very fond of it.

2020 Super Baseball is my second favorite out of the bunch. I also play Fatal Fury periodically for the nostalgic and "first SNK fighting game" feels.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Burning Fight and 2020 Super Baseball are my clear favorites on that list.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Super Baseball 2020 and Fatal Fury.

I have Super Baseball 2020 JPN AES coming in the mail. I love that game. I played the hell out of the SNES version when I was a kid. It was always one of my favorite sports games.

I played Fatal Fury on the Sega Genesis. The look and feel of that game was so dark. The PS3 digital version of the game is great. I play through it once a year.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fatal Fury
Alpha Mission 2
Sengoku

I've always loved the style of Sengoku, to me it's very enjoyable to play, gameplay complaints aside.

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Burning fight has always had good memories for me. I would also choose alpha mission II and fatal fury.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I would choose
king of monsters-pretty cool wrestling/fighting game
alpha mission 2 - one of the first neo games I owned and solid shooter
fatal fury- classic fighter

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
Burning Fight is another game I don't really get the hate for, it's not phenomenal but it's a fine beat em up on a system that really doesn't have enough

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
These are still some of my Neo Favorites.

Crossed Swords
Fatal Fury
League Bowling
Sengoku

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's sort of unfair to group the quiz and mahjong titles into "shitty games", because people outside Japan were never the intended target audience in the first place.