PC Engine/Turbografx Beginner Tips

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I got both Spriggans, complete (no spine cards) for $130 shipped - good deal?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Thanks, that's the sort of information I'm looking for.

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/
I like this page, its pretty comprehensive though.
You can easily loose hours just checking out different games, reviews and videos.
Yeah lot of shooter on this system! If you like schmups this is a must own system.

GOT MY EVERDRIVE! That plastic sleeve I ordered fits right on, like how the reset button works.
There's a romset on this isozone webpage for everdrive games. Most all the US games don't work, I'll try a different version, if not I've read something about a header stripping program.
There's talk about a system ver2 card coming out. Hope it has a sram intant save like the famicom and other cool features. There's also chatter about how it may be possible for one to play iso's.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
http://www.pcengine.co.uk/
I like this page, its pretty comprehensive though.
You can easily loose hours just checking out different games, reviews and videos.
Yeah lot of shooter on this system! If you like schmups this is a must own system.

GOT MY EVERDRIVE! That plastic sleeve I ordered fits right on, like how the reset button works.
There's a romset on this isozone webpage for everdrive games. Most all the US games don't work, I'll try a different version, if not I've read something about a header stripping program.
There's talk about a system ver2 card coming out. Hope it has a sram intant save like the famicom and other cool features. There's also chatter about how it may be possible for one to play iso's.

Here is my Turbo Everdrive US and JP romset.

All the roms should work fine.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx8kZz4NMisqamZjQkZaQndCaEk&authuser=0

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Hey guys :)

Finally my PC Engine Duo-R is on its way to my home :)
Component mod done btw.
$215 the system +$80 the mod, what ya think?
Can't wait to finally put my hands on it :P

What couple of non rpg games do you recommend to start with? (CD by the way, still no everdrive)
I had in mind Castlevania and Gate of Thunder.

Last edited:

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Rondo of Blood and Gate of Thunder - couldn't choose a better start

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Drac X and Gate of Thunder are perfect games to start off a cd collection with...if you could add a third i'd say get Wind/Lords of Thunder as well, or perhaps trade Gate for Lords.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I would look into some of the snk ports they made for the pc engine. youll need an arcade card to play them. I can also recommend monster lair, avenger, and side arms special for some cool shmups

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Dynastic Hero! I consider this "adventure" but kiddos today would call this action RPG, I guess?

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Hey guys :)

Finally my PC Engine Duo-R is on its way to my home :)
Component mod done btw.
$215 the system +$80 the mod, what ya think?
Can't wait to finally put my hands on it :P

What couple of non rpg games do you recommend to start with? (CD by the way, still no everdrive)
I had in mind Castlevania and Gate of Thunder.

I highly recommend both Macross 2036 and Zero Wing - both games have spectacular music. Macross especially is one of the showpiece games for the system.

Ren-chan

I highly recommend both Macross 2036 and Zero Wing - both games have spectacular music. Macross especially is one of the showpiece games for the system.

Noted!
The system is currently at customs so.... I still have to wait to get the letter to provide the 'invoice' for taxes and such. 12eur + 3 for the process + 21% for the package value (and those 15 eur). A pity he wrote $300 on value ugh...
Oh well.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Noted!
The system is currently at customs so.... I still have to wait to get the letter to provide the 'invoice' for taxes and such. 12eur + 3 for the process + 21% for the package value (and those 15 eur). A pity he wrote $300 on value ugh...
Oh well.

I remember getting my first duo. Exciting times. You will soon learn that the turbografx is by far the most underrated and under appreciated console of all time. There is just so much good stuff.

Keep doing what your doing, a lot of us started importing pc engine stuff in the late 90's early 2000's and literally just bought everything that looked interesting. You can learn from our mistakes by just buying games we can recommend, cause there is A LOT or expensive garbage out there.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Rondo just keeps going up in price! Want to grab that one so bad.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
At least Rondo isn't an exclusive.

With emulation, Everdrives and cdrs you can check out the top dollar games before making the plunge.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Rondo just keeps going up in price! Want to grab that one so bad.

I just noticed that. Not only that, it is popping up less on eBay. I think this is a game that if anyone wants, you better get it asap. I won't be surprised when it hits the $200.00 mark.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I just noticed that. Not only that, it is popping up less on eBay. I think this is a game that if anyone wants, you better get it asap. I won't be surprised when it hits the $200.00 mark.

I'm glad I got that one before it gets even more way out of hand.
Geez... crazy prices

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm pretty surprised it took this long. Back when i bought it in 2002 or so it was one of the most expensive PCE games you could get at around $150 or so. Then the price of it actually took a dip, but usually floated around $100 while many other desirable PCE games shot well past the $150 mark. I also need to grab it before the price turns it into unobtanium.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I'm pretty surprised it took this long. Back when i bought it in 2002 or so it was one of the most expensive PCE games you could get at around $150 or so. Then the price of it actually took a dip, but usually floated around $100 while many other desirable PCE games shot well past the $150 mark. I also need to grab it before the price turns it into unobtanium.

I'm not really sure what made the price dip but I remember prices being out of hand at the turn of the 00's then it dipped and now it's back on the rise again. Time to buy in I suppose.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Bought a complete copy for about $50 or so a few years ago.

Ren-chan

Yesterday I did receive the customs quotation to pay the taxes...... ..$98... fml... sigh...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

I agree. Turbo stuff has fluctuated so much. I am seriously kicking myself in the ass for selling Dynastic Hero, Magical Chase, and Beyond shadow gate. At least I managed to keep dungeon Explorer ii, ys, and my really good shmups.

I bit the bullet and got dracula x finally. I ended up spending $165.00. Way more then I ever spend on a game but it will get the play time for sure. There use to be a time when there use to be dozens of dracula x on eBay everyday. Now it is getting really thinned out. Dracula x is not a game people sell. And I doubt things will get cheaper as people refuse to part with them.

If anyone wants it, you really need to get it in the next few months.