PC Engine/Turbografx Beginner Tips

Xavier

1st Lt, Sonic Wings Squadron
20 Year Member
That little screen I mentioned above isn't compatible so far with the Pc Engine or 1/2 the stuff I plug into it.
The screen rolls and the colors are off.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
So good SmokeMonster!
Damn, I say this every single time about I talk about this system... I step on this forum and my PC engine hype to get one increases by 100000000 :lolz:
I got saved $200 and I want to get enough for a system + everdrive... unfortunately all the Duo systems I find (ebay mostly) are super overpriced...... :(

Yahoo Japan my man. Got my Duo CIB with 8 games and a second controller for $90 CAD; works perfectly and is fantastic cosmetically. Use a shopping service like Noppin, and you're off to the races.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
That little screen I mentioned above isn't compatible so far with the Pc Engine or 1/2 the stuff I plug into it.
The screen rolls and the colors are off.

10321167_686806331367183_6191589146870807410_o.jpg

This one works quite nicely :)

Though the price has gone up a bit since I got mine, it's still a great screen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Portabl...670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7060567e

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I bought a PC engine duo from eBay, it was one that didn't have any sound.

It just needed new caps.

I think my total price was $160 shipping included.

Got it from hit-japan

Bad thing is customs over here :(
Anyways, will have a look on a regular basis, I totally missed that one :(

@Renmauzo:
Yeaaah, been looking also there, was wondering about using Tenso website. Anyways (couple of messages ago I was talking about a friend going to JP last January but unfortunately he didn't go :( ), I was trying to save enough for the system + shipping + everdrive. Once I get enough money I will start looking again.

Thank you all for the advices, it is always really helpful :)

Last edited:

Xavier

20 Year Member
10321167_686806331367183_6191589146870807410_o.jpg

This one works quite nicely :)

Though the price has gone up a bit since I got mine, it's still a great screen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Portabl...670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7060567e

That is a nice looking screen, lots of inputs, saw another one that was similar for a little less as well.
I have a couple little screens and am over budget on what I wanted to spend on this already, really I just got it because it looks like a duo monitor.... and it was $20. I got a thing for little screens though....must resist.
Waiting for the everdrive, been a couple weeks now. Waiting on these things is like a modern Christmas to me, you know the anticipation and stuff.
Got the cover a couple days ago.

Last edited:

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Waiting for my recapped duo to arrive. I'm super excited.

Ren-chan

Anywayss, besides ebay or yahoo auctions, where do you guys look for PC Engine systems?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If you want the console modded for output and region, might as well just contact someone who can do the service directly for that.

Ren-chan

Ah Woody, I reached that site surfing on google looking for a nice PC Engine community, anyways seems the forum account has to be approved and mine is pending (or unaproved, don't know... never received activation)

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Ah Woody, I reached that site surfing on google looking for a nice PC Engine community, anyways seems the forum account has to be approved and mine is pending (or unaproved, don't know... never received activation)

My account took about 6-7 weeks to be activated, so it does happen, just takes time.

Ren-chan

Re-submited my application and just got accepted hehe, maybe the previous one just expired? hmm who knows :P

Edit:
Aight! Made a small "hello" post :) it's time to start reading a lot of info about this system haha. It's a big unexplored world to me yet :P

Last edited:

Xavier

20 Year Member
Been waiting since December 28th, just now checked my email again.
It's a spam account so it took several minutes to read through.
Nope nothing, sent something to the email linked in the registration email.

Ren-chan

Check the forums on http://pcenginefx.com. There's a couple guys on there who fix up systems (i.e. recap, replace gears, etc). and sell them at a fair price.

Hi Woody!
I have been surfing the forum for few days and ended up talking to someone who seems to be selling systems usually, told me he has some stuff for sale and asked me what system was the one I was looking for, let's see if I got a pm back during the following days, would be great to be a PCE user after all the waiting haha.
At this moment I want to do on thas forum what is is always encouraged to do here, be part of the community instead of just snip a sale and then disappear (umm, not sure if I did write this properly... english sometimes is a bit difficult to write). So I will try to take part of their conversations and such.

Btw, I saw jibbajaba registered on that forum too :D

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Hi Woody!
I have been surfing the forum for few days and ended up talking to someone who seems to be selling systems usually, told me he has some stuff for sale and asked me what system was the one I was looking for, let's see if I got a pm back during the following days, would be great to be a PCE user after all the waiting haha.

That's great news, glad you're getting set up with a system.

At this moment I want to do on thas forum what is is always encouraged to do here, be part of the community instead of just snip a sale and then disappear (umm, not sure if I did write this properly... english sometimes is a bit difficult to write). So I will try to take part of their conversations and such.

Please do, they can use some new blood over there.

Xavier

20 Year Member
Maybe I should contact Retrogate, been well over a month now. Faq says it should take 15-20 days.
Tracking says We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece. and nothing else. Tried that Ukrainian post page, its all chicken scratch to me.

Edit, item has shown up in the states now.....cool

Now I've kinda cooled on the Pc Engine. The cd players broke and I can't fix it, I sold the couple games it came with for a few dollars (maybe I should've waited). It came with a Japanese baseball game and Toyshop boys. So I've had nothing to play on it for a few months now. :(
I tried to email the mod linked with registration @ pcfx. Now it looks like the registrations expired, so I'll have to do the whole thing over again.

Last edited:

RoadBuster

Crossed Swords Squire
Late last year I got a Briefcase unit and an Everdrive and have played a ton of the HuCard games. I've looked at a few of the CD games, mainly ones I knew about, but was wanting some suggestions. I really liked the CD version of Valis 1 and 3. The HuCard games Legendary Axe 1 and 2 I really liked, too. What would be some other CD games to try along those lines? (I had Rondo of Blood on my Wii when it came out for Virtual console so I've beaten that one several times)

Edit: Oh yeah... I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a joke, but I actually did enjoy Wonder Momo quite a bit...

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Late last year I got a Briefcase unit and an Everdrive and have played a ton of the HuCard games. I've looked at a few of the CD games, mainly ones I knew about, but was wanting some suggestions. I really liked the CD version of Valis 1 and 3. The HuCard games Legendary Axe 1 and 2 I really liked, too. What would be some other CD games to try along those lines? (I had Rondo of Blood on my Wii when it came out for Virtual console so I've beaten that one several times)

On CD, Ys III isn't the best game in the series, but it is a side-scrolling hack and slash. Valis 2 and 4 are pretty good. If you don't mind Japanese text then Legend of Xanadu and Popful Mail are both pretty fun. Also try Ninja Spirits, Cadash and Dragon's Curse in English on HuCard.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Shubibinman 3 is pretty good on CD, very Megaman-ish in its presentation (and character designs). The whole Valis series is good. Cadash is a good call on HuCard as well.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

Edit: Oh yeah... I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a joke, but I actually did enjoy Wonder Momo quite a bit...

Ys book I & II is the best ys game in my opinion, and tied for best game on console with dynastic hero and Dracula x.

Other great CD games.

Dungeon Explorer 2
Spriggan
Sylphia
All the valis games
Exile part one. avoid 2
Sapphire
Y's 3
Y's IV ( download and burn translation)

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Definitely pick up Gomola Speed. One of the best games I've played hands down.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Maybe I should contact Retrogate, been well over a month now. Faq says it should take 15-20 days.
Tracking says We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece. and nothing else. Tried that Ukrainian post page, its all chicken scratch to me.

Edit, item has shown up in the states now.....cool

Now I've kinda cooled on the Pc Engine. The cd players broke and I can't fix it, I sold the couple games it came with for a few dollars (maybe I should've waited). It came with a Japanese baseball game and Toyshop boys. So I've had nothing to play on it for a few months now. :(
I tried to email the mod linked with registration @ pcfx. Now it looks like the registrations expired, so I'll have to do the whole thing over again.

I know one of the mods over on PCEFX, if you let me know your username I can ask him about it.