PC Engine/Turbografx Beginner Tips

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Bonk 3, Dynastic Hero, and Dungeon Explorer II aren't "interesting" to you? But you bought a 4-pack of games you'd never heard of?

Well yea - I watched a few videos of the Japan games and they all looked pretty awesome.

Not a huge fan of Bonk, but I did really like WB in Monster World (haven't read up on the differences w DH). Dungeon Explorer 2 looked pretty cool, and Godzilla looks just alright.

Seems like there are a lot of games out there on the system I haven't tried - Id rather get the ones that make me say "oh shit" instead of just "eh that's cool."

That Japan box made me say oh shit.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Well yea - I watched a few videos of the Japan games and they all looked pretty awesome.

Not a huge fan of Bonk, but I did really like WB in Monster World (haven't read up on the differences w DH). Dungeon Explorer 2 looked pretty cool, and Godzilla looks just alright.

Seems like there are a lot of games out there on the system I haven't tried - Id rather get the ones that make me say "oh shit" instead of just "eh that's cool."

That Japan box made me say oh shit.

If you decide it sucks hit me up. I have MVS trade

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Thinking of maybe scooping up a Duo after the holidays. Some guy is offering them recapped and modded for component video and region unlocking. Though I think I might just go with the component mod only since I'll just use an Everdrive anyway.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Thinking of maybe scooping up a Duo after the holidays. Some guy is offering them recapped and modded for component video and region unlocking. Though I think I might just go with the component mod only since I'll just use an Everdrive anyway.

Someone local or are they for sale online? Im still looking for one. :)

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Someone local or are they for sale online? Im still looking for one. :)

Keith courage on pcenginefx sells recapped modded duos. I purchased a briefcase unit from him last year and he did a good job. He puts new lazers in them too

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Got my Duo-R, Everdrive, and PCE Memories (Japan) box set!

Really happy with the Memories box, especially like Renny Blaster & Kaze Kiri. Renny Blaster is a typical side scrolling beat em up with a much slower pace and a wide variety of moves. Kaze is the same but much faster but still has a nice mix of moves. Not as good as Ninja Spirit or Revenge of Shinobi, but a really cool alternative.

The other games - Faussete Amour - has a really cool but janky swing mechanic, and Sylphia is a pretty basic shmup with a fairly large character sprite I'm not a huge fan of. Sylphia is probably my least favorite, but all in all I'm really happy with the set. Really glad I was able to score one so late.

Would love to hear everyones CD recommendations, stuff that's completely not overpriced. Think I might grab Ys Book 1&2 and Subibinman 3 next. And maybe Recca 93. Seems like theres a ton of games I never played.

MrRoboto19XX

Rugal's Thug
They're bootlegs, but they're extremely high quality bootlegs and it's obvious that a lot of Turbo love went into the making of these sets.

Does anyone know if these are made by the same guy who made that repro of Space Fantasy Zone a few years ago? I remember seeing those floating around, but now I'm having trouble finding any place on line that used to sell them. I've always wanted a copy just because I'm a fan of the two series involved, and I'd like to have a nice official looking copy for my PC-E collection.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Got my Duo-R, Everdrive, and PCE Memories (Japan) box set!

Really happy with the Memories box, especially like Renny Blaster & Kaze Kiri. Renny Blaster is a typical side scrolling beat em up with a much slower pace and a wide variety of moves. Kaze is the same but much faster but still has a nice mix of moves. Not as good as Ninja Spirit or Revenge of Shinobi, but a really cool alternative.

The other games - Faussete Amour - has a really cool but janky swing mechanic, and Sylphia is a pretty basic shmup with a fairly large character sprite I'm not a huge fan of. Sylphia is probably my least favorite, but all in all I'm really happy with the set. Really glad I was able to score one so late.

Would love to hear everyones CD recommendations, stuff that's completely not overpriced. Think I might grab Ys Book 1&2 and Subibinman 3 next. And maybe Recca 93. Seems like theres a ton of games I never played.

*super jealous over here*
Hahaha enjoy it! I am still looking for an affordable system (ebay is just too high). A friend of mine maybe will be going to Japan this month... I might ask him to get a Duo if he has enough free space on his suitcase.

MrRoboto19XX

Rugal's Thug
I'd recommend picking up an Avenue Pad 6 while you're at it. They're really great controllers, and they're far more ergonomic than the standard pads. They're also pretty much essential if you want to play a fighter with any ease on the system.

Xavier

1st Lt, Sonic Wings Squadron
20 Year Member
I ended up getting a briefcase unit off of Ebay.
The PC Engine itself finicky, you have to put the cards in to where it barely goes past the on off switch, you push it all the way in and the screen is just white.
The cd player has a bad 3rd gear, I've seen some videos on YouTube about how to take them apart but isn't there a clamp to hold it on?
The IFU has an internal memory bank? Does it have a battery that needs to be replaced?

What is this used for?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/35126128088...438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#cvip_desc

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Clean dat cart slot. I use a worthless game, pour alcohol or contact cleaner on the pins, insert and remove a few times, wipe it off, repeat until clean.

The tennokoe bank backs up the internal memory. Menus are in Japanese.

There is a capacitor that holds saves, if it won't hold saves it needs to be replaced. Also, if you don't turn it on for a while it may lose charge.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I'd recommend picking up an Avenue Pad 6 while you're at it. They're really great controllers, and they're far more ergonomic than the standard pads. They're also pretty much essential if you want to play a fighter with any ease on the system.

Or better yet get the Hori Fighting Commander PC. It's a six button pad that handles similar to a SNES pad.

Xavier

20 Year Member
Clean dat cart slot. I use a worthless game, pour alcohol or contact cleaner on the pins, insert and remove a few times, wipe it off, repeat until clean.

There is a capacitor that holds saves, if it won't hold saves it needs to be replaced. Also, if you don't turn it on for a while it may lose charge.

Thanks for the pro-tips!
Can't the everdrive back up savestates?

Xavier

20 Year Member
I knew that clamp on the cd-rom was to going to give me a problem. (replacing the gear on cd-rom2 system)
Anybody know somewhere to buy or something to take apart for another c-ring or anything else I can do?
I tried to join pcenginefx about a month ago but don't think I heard back from them yet

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
One of the best upgrades to look in to is adding broken's RGB amp to get proper Scart RGB output. He sells them here on the forum.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

Get a ten noe ko bank, then before backing up your saves, rip the top cover off and replace the battery. It uses a standard cr2032.

Xavier

20 Year Member
One of the best upgrades to look in to is adding broken's RGB amp to get proper Scart RGB output. He sells them here on the forum.

I have to many projects currently, more important to me is getting the cd-rom up and running or getting another one.
Somebody had some on Ebay already put together that you just plug into the expansion port for $60, if I just had to have one and the money I'd just go that route. Turfmastas working on a cabinet/booster that supports it as well.

Got a Everdrive from Retrogate they had them in stock and it shipped already. Anybody know a place to get a cheap cover / maybe case for them. Stoneage Gamers had them listed as sold out for months now, plus maybe I can save a few bucks buying them separately.

Check out my poor mans Duo-monitor I bought Got a 12v battery and charger sepratly. Where to put it? To the right I guess. Wish the briefcase cover had a controller hole or they didn't put the buckle right over it. Then you could start up a game close the lid and put the screen over it.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Got a Everdrive from Retrogate they had them in stock and it shipped already. Anybody know a place to get a cheap cover / maybe case for them. Stoneage Gamers had them listed as sold out for months now, plus maybe I can save a few bucks buying them separately.
I had mine 3D printed through Sculpteo. I saved the project if you want to print it. I think it was like $9 including shipping, and it looks awesome. I had mine printed in white and will eventually spray it black.

Xavier

20 Year Member
Thank-you so much.
Ordered it in polished gray.
Somehow forced me to buy express shipping but I'm still saving over $20.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I had mine 3D printed through Sculpteo. I saved the project if you want to print it. I think it was like $9 including shipping, and it looks awesome. I had mine printed in white and will eventually spray it black.

Thanks for the link - ordered one too!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Hey smoke, you got a picture of yours? I've been meaning to order something like this for months.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Hey smoke, you got a picture of yours? I've been meaning to order something like this for months.
I don't own a Turbo Everdrive yet so I can't show it attached, but here is what it looks like when you receive it:
_DSC3917-1.jpg

_DSC3919-2.jpg

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
So good SmokeMonster!
Damn, I say this every single time about I talk about this system... I step on this forum and my PC engine hype to get one increases by 100000000 :lolz:
I got saved $200 and I want to get enough for a system + everdrive... unfortunately all the Duo systems I find (ebay mostly) are super overpriced...... :(

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
So good SmokeMonster!
Damn, I say this every single time about I talk about this system... I step on this forum and my PC engine hype to get one increases by 100000000 :lolz:
I got saved $200 and I want to get enough for a system + everdrive... unfortunately all the Duo systems I find (ebay mostly) are super overpriced...... :(

I bought a PC engine duo from eBay, it was one that didn't have any sound.

It just needed new caps.

I think my total price was $160 shipping included.

Got it from hit-japan