PC Engine/Turbografx Beginner Tips

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I read something once suggesting the strain from CDRs was discs that weren't burned in the same order as the original pressing; more seek time to get things. Or something like that. I think it might have been a result of people turning MP3+game file ROMs back into discs, as opposed to making a direct copy of the actual disc.

I could be pulling that out of my behind though.

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I've played through Dracula X, Ys Book I & II, Lords of Thunder, Double Dragon II, and Garou Densetsu Special on my Duo, all on burned discs, all without problem. Strangely enough, though, all my disc based consoles seem to only like Memorex CD-R Blacks. I do have a backup laser on hand, just in case, although I suppose I should test it, after hearing about the high failure rates on them from you all.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I've played through Dracula X, Ys Book I & II, Lords of Thunder, Double Dragon II, and Garou Densetsu Special on my Duo, all on burned discs, all without problem. Strangely enough, though, all my disc based consoles seem to only like Memorex CD-R Blacks. I do have a backup laser on hand, just in case, although I suppose I should test it, after hearing about the high failure rates on them from you all.

That's weird. Maybe your drive only burns the Memorexes properly?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member

I also only use Memorex CDs (although not black) as my old consoles seem to prefer them.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I also only use Memorex CDs (although not black) as my old consoles seem to prefer them.

Did Memorex source from the Japanese manufacturers, or do they make their own somewhere?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm tired of posting about cdrs on the pc engine. Fuck it, buy some $200 games instead of a $30 laser.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
The only time my turbo duo or pc engine duo have trouble loading a cdr is when the laser tries to read the outer part of the disc.

As far as noise, you can adjust the pots, I use an oscilloscope for best results but it can be done by ear with good results.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I've been wanting to dip my toes in the PC Engine/Turbo pool myself . I've decided that I'd want either a Turbo Duo or a PC Duo + Everdrive combo.

I do have a couple questions tho;
-do stock Turbos have S-Video, or composite only?
-where would you recommend I look for a system?

I'd prefer to buy a system that's already been re-capped, but I'm open to the idea of buying a stock one and sending it out to get re-capped and getting video mods.

I'm not looking to get a huge library, I just want to play the games on original hardware. I'd love to get more into the Crush games, Lords of Thunder, Ninja Spirit, Bonk, and discover the systems library of shooters.

I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Turbografx 16's and the original white PC Engines are all RF only. All Duos, as well as the CD add ons have composite video out. All of them need to be modded to output svideo, although it's a pretty simple mod to anyone who knows how to work a soldering iron and a stepper bit. You really only have to worry about caps on the black Duos and the Turbo Express units, everything else has good caps, although all caps will need to be replaced eventually.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Composite out on NEC consoles is great, it doesn't have the same problem as the differing models of Mega Drive/Genesis, for example. When I bought my modded Duo-R I declined to get an s-video mod since my "retro set up" is all hooked up via composite. It still looks great, so don't feel you need s-video for it to be worth it.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Composite out on NEC consoles is great, it doesn't have the same problem as the differing models of Mega Drive/Genesis, for example. When I bought my modded Duo-R I declined to get an s-video mod since my "retro set up" is all hooked up via composite. It still looks great, so don't feel you need s-video for it to be worth it.

That is true, the composite out of my Duo R kicks the shit out of my AV Famicom. It's kind of nuts how much better it is. I will say that my Duo R's composite looks much better than just the regular bad-cap-having Duo.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Before the Duo-R, I used a TG-16 with a TurboBooster for composite video, and it looked beautiful. In fact, I'd say they both look as good as my SNES composite, which is known for high quality.

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Before the Duo-R, I used a TG-16 with a TurboBooster for composite video, and it looked beautiful. In fact, I'd say they both look as good as my SNES composite, which is known for high quality.

This is very true. Unfortunately, there is visible jailbar interference on my Duo-R using component. I used the circuit created by Turbokon over on the pcenginefx forums, and he suggested placing 22uF caps in parallel to lines 43 and 41 on the Hu6260. I ordered some about a week ago, so they should be here any day now for me to test out...

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Guys I'm on a dilema...
I've been thinking about getting the system but since I am also a newbie on PC Engine matters I prefer to ask first before doing something I could regret forever...
For what I see on Ebay (spanish) there's a load of a new sealed Turbografx with 1 game at around 130-150€ (USD 162-187) and used for around 70€/USD 87 (maybe could get cheapper on other places but since it ships from Spain shipping costs are really really cheap).
One of them for instance is this:
http://www.ebay.es/itm/Consola-Turb...1962302?pt=ES_Videojuegos&hash=item2edaf4a73e

I know guys you all say to get the CD system but everything I find is really out of my budget (300€/USD 374 + shipping).

Seeing those prices and the status (new sealed) would you go for it? Also I'd be getting an Everdrive.
I'd love the CD system to have it complete but it's so expensive... :(
Also... will all the games run at 50Hz on a PAL system or PC Engine runs at 60hz using Everdrive? Sorry if the question looks lame, but I want to get all my doubts clear before doing anything.

Thanks a lot for your time, it is really appreciated.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Those are basically us systems modified to run on pal sets. Since no games were programmed for pal timing is probably going to be a tad slow. The Everdrive should work fine, but it won't be 60hz.

I don't know if a cd system would work with it. A US setup should hook up just fine, but pal timing + cd interface may lead to unexpected issues.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
That system would be awesome, but again not only shipping... customs would make the price go higher (around 60 more euro due to taxes and customs fees).
I am most likely stucked in Europe on matter of purchasing. It's better to pay +30/40 on a system than +20 on shipping and 50 on customs :S

Anyways, I was more worried about the system itself. Is the one I linked from ebay good for a newbie? I saw it comes with the AV cable (and rf)... does it also need the rgb mod?
I feel totally like a noob haha.

Edit:
Opethian is helping me quite a lot through the chat :D
He cleared all my doubts, thank you all for your help :-)

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Damn. When I bought mine from him, it was $300 out-the-door. He also used to accept "best offers".

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Recieved my Best of Japan PC-Engine Super Hyper CD-Rom Ultra Edition package today. Wasn't able to play them since my system is currently in transit, but I went opened it up, and wow it's an amazing collection. Really nice work. Can't wait to dive into the 4 games, which I never even heard of them until I saw this collection. Really tempted to order the US one, but the games just don't seem as interesting to me.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Recieved my Best of Japan PC-Engine Super Hyper CD-Rom Ultra Edition package today. Wasn't able to play them since my system is currently in transit, but I went opened it up, and wow it's an amazing collection. Really nice work. Can't wait to dive into the 4 games, which I never even heard of them until I saw this collection. Really tempted to order the US one, but the games just don't seem as interesting to me.

Bonk 3, Dynastic Hero, and Dungeon Explorer II aren't "interesting" to you? But you bought a 4-pack of games you'd never heard of?