PC Engine/Turbografx Beginner Tips

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I own a TG-16 (no cd add-on), been thinking of selling it and going the Turbo Duo-R route just to play the PC Engine Memories box set. Anyone own it? Worth getting?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I own a TG-16 (no cd add-on), been thinking of selling it and going the Turbo Duo-R route just to play the PC Engine Memories box set. Anyone own it? Worth getting?

Own what? The boxed set? I have both. Personally I don't think that $35 each (which is what they break down to when you buy the whole set) is a bad deal for these, especially considering what the originals are selling for now. People pay the same for CIB repro carts. And these are pressed discs, not burns. Personally IDGAF about piracy of old games, but I don't like playing burns on my system, so these are great. And they aren't exact copies of the originals, so there isn't a concern of people reselling these by passing them off as the real deal. If you were thinking about getting a set, I would get the newer TurboDuo Memories set, or whatever it's called. It has US versions of Dungeon Explorer II, Dynastic Hero, and Bonk 3. It also for some reason has Godzilla, which is pretty "meh". But considering what the other three games go for these days, they're a good deal.

They're bootlegs, but they're extremely high quality bootlegs and it's obvious that a lot of Turbo love went into the making of these sets.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Yea I'm sorta new to the PC Engine library, I own a Turbo and about a dozen games but seems like there's a lot I haven't seen or played. The Japan collection looks really awesome, I checked out some videos and each game looks great. The US one is cool but none of the games appeal to me as much as the Japan set. Gonna look to get a Duo-R early next year and head down yet another expensive, classic game filled road.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
for the price of the bootleg sets though you can find a decent amount of great original games too though

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I have a PC Engine again! It's a Core Grafx 1 with an Everdrive. The everdrive is neat, great even, it's not the same, but I ain't complainin'. I used to have a Core Grafx II, then a Duo-R with a region switch and S-Video, and then a Super Grafx. The Super Grafx could have rivaled the Super Nintendo if NEC put all their cards on the table. It's probably better that they didn't though, they would have lost their turbo hat!

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Thanks for the info regarding PCE Memories. I see the jpn set is sold out, but its good to know this type of stuff is out there. Just subscribed to their blog, wouldnt mind buying reprints/repros of more expensive games, after all no original good games are sacced with CD games.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
for the price of the bootleg sets though you can find a decent amount of great original games too though

Got a full set of the Ranma 1/2 CD games for $15 shipped a while ago. Don't know if I'd call them "great," but it was a really fun find for $15. There's just so much on the platform, and a lot of the prices are still worth taking risks on.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks for the info regarding PCE Memories. I see the jpn set is sold out, but its good to know this type of stuff is out there. Just subscribed to their blog, wouldnt mind buying reprints/repros of more expensive games, after all no original good games are sacced with CD games.

Shoot him an email if you're interested in the "Best of Japan" set - I was just able to order one.

Gentlegamer

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
10 Year Member
The way to go for TurboGrafx-16 is actually to go PC Engine Duo-R as several have recommended. A region switch or use of Turbo Everdrive gives access to almost the entire library. You'll need an Arcade Duo card to play the Arcade CD games, several of which are Neo Geo ports (that you probably have the original of), but Sapphire alone makes it worth it.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
The way to go for TurboGrafx-16 is actually to go PC Engine Duo-R as several have recommended. A region switch or use of Turbo Everdrive gives access to almost the entire library. You'll need an Arcade Duo card to play the Arcade CD games, several of which are Neo Geo ports (that you probably have the original of), but Sapphire alone makes it worth it.

God I love Sapphire. I don't understand the hate it gets. I know it's rare and expensive, but that reprint isn't too tough to acquire. The music is AWESOME.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Sapphire is one of those games that isn't worth the money, at all, but is still a fantastic game on its own. It's probably my most played PCE shooter.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
AFAIK the only difference between the R and RX is the name, and the bundled controller. Why "fuck the Duo-R"?

Exactly. Same machine with the inclusion of an 'X' in the name and a 6 button pad. Not worth the extra $ that people charge for it.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
listen to what everyone is saying and just save for a Duo-R. Then get a everdrive. Every other CD system and attachment is crap and will break. There are not many text heavy games at all in the English library. Beyond Shadowgate has a lot of voice acting, but I think it's crap. But don't tell the guys over at pcenginefx that. They swear it's an amazing game. Y's book I&II is a mandatory pickup if by text heavy you mean RPG. Cosmic Fantasy 2, and Dragon Slayer are text heavy, but are mediocre at best. As far as Hu-Cards go, there's not a lot of RPG options. But if you like action RPG's you really can't go wrong with Dragon's Curse, and Cadash.

Last edited:

Gentlegamer

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
10 Year Member
God I love Sapphire. I don't understand the hate it gets. I know it's rare and expensive, but that reprint isn't too tough to acquire. The music is AWESOME.

The beauty of PCE is it plays burned discs with no modification, so there's always that option available.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Until your laser unit wears out from playing boots, then it becomes a pain to source one that works.

Gentlegamer

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
10 Year Member
Has the laser problem with burned discs happen to anyone? I've read conflicting reports.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Has the laser problem with burned discs happen to anyone? I've read conflicting reports.

I haven't had a console break from CDR use, but I quit using them. You can tell when you play them because the laser is really loud and you can tell it's working hard. They are already very finicky and I would not make a habit of playing burns, unless you do it correctly. Those games are also harder to burn, due to needing to load up a TOC. You will encounter many issues until you get it right. Especially with the music. As a rule of thumb use Taiyo Yuden gold back CDR's. After you learn to burn correctly, because they are expensive.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member

I doubt it. But anytime someone who plays burns in their system has their laser die, it's gonna get blamed on that instead of just wear-and-tear.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Damn guys, you are talking so good about this system now I want to get one haha. Not the first time I have been checking on ebay but prices are so high it always makes me retreat from getting any :(

Gentlegamer

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
10 Year Member
I've never noticed any extra laser sound on a burned disc. I burned mine at 10x with my laptop, I think I have an older PC that may be able to burn even slower.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I will soon be a member of the PC Engine Duo-R club. Should be arriving in a few weeks!