PC Engine/Turbografx Beginner Tips

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Been playing Rastan Saga 2 few days ago for the first time ever, took like 3 minutes to use the 1st credit lol.

That's skill.

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
hey guys... before opening a new thread, I try to post my question here.

I've read so much about PC Engine that it's time to get one - my dilemma is that I want one of the duos and if possible in nice condition and boxed with the necessary mods (at least RGB)... R/RX are superior from what I read in this thread, but would a regular Turbo Duo with a recap (and region free / RGB mods) turn out to be about the same in regards to reliability?
thanks for your advice, cheers
Nick

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
A black Duo that's been recapped will probably be more reliable than a Duo R/RX. The motherboard/components (capacitors aside) seem to be of slightly higher quality. Also, headphone jack if that kind of thing tickles your fancy.

if possible in nice condition and boxed

Don't be that guy.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
hey guys... before opening a new thread, I try to post my question here.

I've read so much about PC Engine that it's time to get one - my dilemma is that I want one of the duos and if possible in nice condition and boxed with the necessary mods (at least RGB)... R/RX are superior from what I read in this thread, but would a regular Turbo Duo with a recap (and region free / RGB mods) turn out to be about the same in regards to reliability?
thanks for your advice, cheers
Nick

The big difference is the caps. Duo-r and Rx have better sound caps than the regular duo. The regular duo has a headphone jack that the white ones don't. These things are old anyway, so you might as well change the sound caps while you get it modded. They're all basically the same as far as reliability, but remember these consoles are old and will break down.

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
thanks for your replies, guys.
well yeah, I was thinking the same, regarding not being that guy with the boxed console... thing is, a boxed, recapped, region free and RGB modded Turbo duo is about the same as a Turbo Duo R without box and the same mods. but then again, it's not that I have all my boxes on display or anything... well, let me think a little while longer, but atm I'm trending towards the Duo-R, since it seems to be more reliable.

Funny thing: almost all the reasonable Turbo Duo RX auctions I see atm are with the standard 2 button controller :keke:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Forget the box - you can't play it if it's in the box!

A recapped black Duo is perfectly solid and reliable. Both me and a friend have each used one regularly for over 20 years now with no issues.

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Everyone is always looking for a Duo-r/rx but a capped PC Engine duo is very reliable. I have capped like three of them and afterward they worked flawless. You can also change the lasers with new ones that are still being made.

I would also stay away from the boxes especially of the US Turbo Duo it's just not worth it. You may be able to find a Japanese box but that is up to you. A pc engine brief case combo is another alternative and probably not as expensive as a duo-r.

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
thanks for reassuring me, I think I'll go with the recapped black one, I like the design a little better that the R/RX.

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
ah btw... price wise (shipping from JPN not included):
boxed, recapped, RGB modded and region free Turbo Duo: ~tree-fitty
RGB modded, recapped Turbo Duo R: ~400

Any word on compatibility with the TurboEverdrive (Krikkz site mentions something that region free modded consoles might not work) meaning what to watch out for?
I already learned that certain sellers' consoles on ebay (doujindance for instance) cause problems that have to be fixed by soldering...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I mean, if you see a niced boxed setup for about the same price or slightly higher than a loosey go for it. But most of the PCE noobs in the past few years have been insisting on boxed/complete everything, pay triple what it's worth just for some cardboard, and the prices continue to skyrocket. That's why PCE stuff is so expensive now, 5 years ago it was cheap as hell.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

Any word on compatibility with the TurboEverdrive (Krikkz site mentions something that region free modded consoles might not work) meaning what to watch out for?
I already learned that certain sellers' consoles on ebay (doujindance for instance) cause problems that have to be fixed by soldering...

What's a recapped, RGB modded and region free Turbo Duo cost without a box?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
What's a recapped, RGB modded and region free Turbo Duo cost without a box?

i found a blax PC-Duo on ebay, for 230 shipped (controller, AV, PS brick included), not capped, a friend is doing that for me. I'll do the RGB mod myself and don't have a use for the region mod.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
i found a blax PC-Duo on ebay, for 230 shipped (controller, AV, PS brick included), not capped, a friend is doing that for me. I'll do the RGB mod myself and don't have a use for the region mod.

Better than ~400 for a Duo-R. It's not like there's a ton of games that use the 6 button controller.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

I had a issue with region modded systems with the everdrive V2 but not with the V1. Don't get the system region modded unless you plan on playing tg games.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
If you truly care about the long-term reliability of your Duo, I would purchase an unmodded console and then get the recap and/or mods done by someone that has a proven track record of quality work (e.g. Voultar, Xian Xi, Kiel among others). If you buy one already pre-modded, you'll likely have no idea what's under the hood - it could be a rat's nest of randomly-malfunctioning wiring horror.

Unfortunately, I found this out first hand when I sent my Duo off to a modder that I didn't vet throughly enough - it took more money and effort than the console was honestly worth to get it straightened out again after that guy was done with it. Pics of the nightmare here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-Work-Thread&p=4068501&viewfull=1#post4068501

Last edited:

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thanks for the infos guys, I think I must reactivate my soldering skills (or maybe just have a buddy with real skills do the soldering)...

and well, your modded PCE's not as bad as the NES in that thread ;) dat hotglue!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
What's a good "bro price" for a core grafx?

Doesn't need to be modded - composite is fine.

AC, AV, and controller preferrably.

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
haha, I bought a PC Engine Duo R and will do the modding (RGB and maybe some caps) myself. I'll be back as soon as I fucked sth up :loco:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
These days, the only useful beginner tip is to get a re-capped Duo, a PCE Everdrive and a stack of CD-Rs. PCE is giving the AES a run for its money these days.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
haha, I bought a PC Engine Duo R and will do the modding (RGB and maybe some caps) myself. I'll be back as soon as I fucked sth up :loco:

Congrats! The caps aren't too hard but be careful when soldering up your RGB tap lines. The pins are small and you can toast your Hu6260 if you're not careful. Voultar's Mod Shop has the best RGB amp for Duos right now IMHO.

Cap kits and diagrams are available at Console5.com

Last edited: